HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

I haven't received mine yet, would update when I get it on the hardware revision, costcentral was the cheapest I could find and the price seems to have gone up by 30 bucks since I ordered, can't wait till I get it, should get it monday or tuesday. I talked to a customer service rep, she told me it was being shipped out or one of their california warehouses, reason why I was charged tax. so I should get it in after the weekend.

Jumped on the $375 deal at Onsale, two killer H-IPSes for $750 :)

Is Onsale a good place for buying this monitor? I saw someone post a link to the deal the other day and me as well as some other people thought the deal was too good to be true.

Im about ready to order this monitor but the sudden amount of negative posts made me want to wait it out a while until either the ratio of bad monitors being shipped is lower or until something better comes out.

I recieved mine, the latest revision from costcental, hand down the most beautiful screen I have ever used, but GUESS WHAT, I was browsing and the screen was white and there it was two black stuck pixels or dirt inside the panel whatever it was, now if I get a replacement from costcentral I gotta pay shipping I think, I am gonna call them tomorrow, and see if they can do an advance replacement for me, this is just bad bad, I fell in love with the screen, but I hate hp for their quality control, honestly I can live with it, but when you shell out 5 bills you want something that is defect free, no one should have to live with it, I called hp because they do advance replacement on these monitors I think, but their phone support is kinda tricky, I finally got thru to support for business monitor department, but kept on hearing message machine in the back, the support guy thought it was me, and I was like I have been hearing that the whole time I have been on hold and the music together, lol, I just think it was an accident however it happened. he put me on hold and never came back for 20 mins so I just hung up and went to the gym, lol. I have to pay the full amount to costcentral for a new one if I want advance replacement and they will refund me when they recieve the old one. I am probably going to get hp to replace mine so I don't have to pay 50 bucks out of my pocket to send this thing out. o well, hope to get it sorted out. I definitely love the monitor though. one more call and the lady is pretty nice, no questions asked, she said she will replace it for me, sweet. she gave me a case number and hopefully they send my monitor soon.

this is what hp website says under my case number, I have to admit I am impressed with their service, some customer service reps just give a company bad name, I don't know what the other rep was doing for 20 mins. I left a comment under case number to that I would rather have it tested before it ships for defects, don't care if it takes a day longer, hope they do it, I doubt it though, haha.

S/N: CNC912xxxx

MOF: black dots on the screen

Availed Information: eu called in sayting that there were two black dots on the screen
eu said he changed different pics on the screen but the dots just stayed there
eu said one dot was in the right corner other was on the top left corner

Recent HW change:
N/a
Recent SW change:
n/a
3rd Party Hardware:
n/a
Troubleshooting: n/a

Resolution: replace the monitor for eu

Part(s): 464184-001 Display : HP LP2475w 24-inch monitor

Last edited:
S/N: CNC912xxxx

MOF: black dots on the screen

Availed Information: eu called in sayting that there were two black dots on the screen
eu said he changed different pics on the screen but the dots just stayed there
eu said one dot was in the right corner other was on the top left corner

Recent HW change:
N/a
Recent SW change:
n/a
3rd Party Hardware:
n/a
Troubleshooting: n/a

Resolution: replace the monitor for eu

Part(s): 464184-001 Display : HP LP2475w 24-inch monitor

Hmmm, the HP quality control sounds pretty sketchy. At least you didn't go through too much hassle to get it replaced. How much is the shipping going to cost you though?

Just an 'FYI'...

The new Dell U2410 is 72000 yen in Japan now, or around $750. US. That's about @ $200.-$250. more than the HP LP2475w...that's a huge difference...trying to compete with the NEC's?

Just an 'FYI'...

The new Dell U2410 is 72000 yen in Japan now, or around $750. US. That's about @ $200.-$250. more than the HP LP2475w...that's a huge difference...trying to compete with the NEC's?

you dont know much about dell's pricing practices and their promotions/coupons do you?
and thats japan.

Hmmm, the HP quality control sounds pretty sketchy. At least you didn't go through too much hassle to get it replaced. How much is the shipping going to cost you though?

well I don't think I have to pay any shipping, I got it through hp, they are going to send me a replacement first I believe and have a prepaid shipping label where I can call for pickup or drop it off at any location to be shipped. that is the only reason I didn't get it replaced through the etailer I got it from, I honestly don't even think these companies even turn on the screens before they pack them up.

well I don't think I have to pay any shipping, I got it through hp, they are going to send me a replacement first I believe and have a prepaid shipping label where I can call for pickup or drop it off at any location to be shipped. that is the only reason I didn't get it replaced through the etailer I got it from, I honestly don't even think these companies even turn on the screens before they pack them up.

Oh that's nice. It's ressuring to hear that HP isn't charging you for the shipping. Good luck with the replacement.

Bought one of them last week, had a replacement brought to my house because it had tinting issues and a 2 pixel wide black spot. The whole thing was hassle free (a two e-mail exchange with no questions asked was enough to dispatch a technician) and the replacement has no tinting and is pretty close to perfect.

Last edited:
I called HP yesterday because the screen went out after I plugged in a usb thumb drive. I've plugged that particular thumb drive in hundreds of times without problems. Called HP support the next morning, spoke to a representative, and had me run the gamut of tests. She finally gave me a case number while mentioned that it will be replaced in two days.

Funny thing is, the tech called today at noon and my monitor was replaced by 2:10 PM. No questions asked, no fuss and no pain.

I'm really surprised that it was this simple...on top of that, the new monitor doesn't have the slight pink background when the brightness is put low.

I'm happy!

Just got my LP2475w today, and I must say I'm very pleased with the monitor. Barely noticeable, light pinkish tint on the lower right on a white screen, but no dead pixels. As mentioned before, reds are very vivid.

how you people bare with wide gamut?

It doesn't bother some people, or if it does, there's a chance of getting used to it. It doesn't bother me personally. However, for people with nvidia graphics cards, there is a setting called digital vibrance and of at least driver version 190.38, this can be set negatively. This pretty much solves the wide gamut problem.

I think on ati cards, there is a saturation slider.

how you people bare with wide gamut?

You get used to it, and with proper calibration settings on the monitor itself it's not as bad as people think. With the brightness at or near 120cd m2 and contrast a tuned down about half way, everything is quite acceptable.

In movies the red can be distracting, but if you use a good playbeack software you can turn down saturation with codec settings. I use Media Player Classic in Overlay mode with the standard Mpeg2 decoder and it works great for color reproduction with saturation at 95%.

The saturation slider really isn't necessary for most applications. For movies, Media Player Classic can do color correction with the steps discussed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912720&page

It's fast and the colors are perfect. Need to have RGB color profile coordinates (I got these with my i1display LT colorimeter), but profiles can be downloaded for this monitor as previously discussed.

Firefox fully supports color managed browsing and there are free photo editors that support color management. So that just leaves games that might benefit from the saturation slider in driver, and even that is probably not necessary for most games. The effect is quite subtle in most cases.

Well, I am a gamer so good colors in games are pretty much mandatory. While people here tend to shout out that games do not need accurate colors, all I need is to take a look at fallout 3, oblivion or mass effect to notice those horridly neon and burning colors to notice that something is definetly off.

So, saturation reduction takes care of the games, and after that hardware calibration takes care of the firefox (or any other color aware software) so it can show colors accurately without blanding caused by desaturation.

I have a bit of a dilemma. In my quest for a new monitor that I plan to use for both Painting and Games ive so far been through a;

Samsung T240 - Due to lack of tilt and shit stand It ended up being absolutely awful to paint on as the viewing angle was so bad. Literally 1/3 of the monitor was inverting if I was sat upright.

BenQ V2400 - I LOVED this monitor, Alas i sent it back to Ebuyer as it was faulty... not realising they didnt stock it anymore and now i am monitorless...

I've been reading through here and a lot of people seem to have a problem with this HP monitor in some way shape or form and its really offputting - being without a monitor for a week at a time because its faulty gets tedious, and ive already done it twice in a month so doing it till I get a proper HP one isnt ideal.

What I want to know is - Should i order the 2475?

Also, even though the Dell E248WFP and HPL2445W - how do the field against this... are there any known faults (Aside them being TN panels... which I can live with as the BenQ was great considering the panel.) - The Dell E248WFP seems to have higher Gamut? I dunno what sort of a rep these 2 have.

I'm really tempted by the L2445W right now as its £100 cheaper and with all the hassle required to get a working L2475W it just seems far more stress free.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a dilemma. In my quest for a new monitor that I plan to use for both Painting and Games ive so far been through a;

Samsung T240 - Due to lack of tilt and shit stand It ended up being absolutely awful to paint on as the viewing angle was so bad. Literally 1/3 of the monitor was inverting if I was sat upright.

BenQ V2400 - I LOVED this monitor, Alas i sent it back to Ebuyer as it was faulty... not realising they didnt stock it anymore and now i am monitorless...

I've been reading through here and a lot of people seem to have a problem with this HP monitor in some way shape or form and its really offputting - being without a monitor for a week at a time because its faulty gets tedious, and ive already done it twice in a month so doing it till I get a proper HP one isnt ideal.

What I want to know is - Should i order the 2475?

Also, even though the Dell E248WFP and HPL2445W - how do the field against this... are there any known faults (Aside them being TN panels... which I can live with as the BenQ was great considering the panel.) - The Dell E248WFP seems to have higher Gamut? I dunno what sort of a rep these 2 have.

I'm really tempted by the L2445W right now as its £100 cheaper and with all the hassle required to get a working L2475W it just seems far more stress free.

Nobody can answer that for you. If you wanna have the best picture quality, you're gonna have to manage ICC profiles/LUTs with this lp2475. If you wanna buy a monitor and forget all about it, buy a cheap TN with lowered expectations and hope for the best.

There's always normal gamut IPS panels out there but afaik, they're either more expensive or considerably worse than the 2475.

Hmm, ill try simplify the question a bit then heh.

It seems a lot of people have had to replace their 2475's over the last few pages due to various problems, most obviously the red -> green shift. If im paying £400 I dont want to have to continually return my monitor to get a good one, its a joke to even consider that acceptable.

My previous BenQ was a TN Panel and i was totally content with it and to my knowledge the HP LP2445 is a TN panel also. However, as its a HP panel, will there be the chance of a panel lottery with that or as its a different panel will it be free of the problems?

I really want to get a good product but having already purchased AND returned 2 monitors the last thing I want to do is get my hopes up, splash out £400 only spend the next 1-2months rolling dice and replacing something that should work.

going with a TN panel, you expose yourself to other such problems of screen uniformity.

alternatively you could try the lp2275w or you could wait for the u2410 from Dell.

Hmm, ill try simplify the question a bit then heh.

It seems a lot of people have had to replace their 2475's over the last few pages due to various problems, most obviously the red -> green shift. If im paying £400 I dont want to have to continually return my monitor to get a good one, its a joke to even consider that acceptable.

My previous BenQ was a TN Panel and i was totally content with it and to my knowledge the HP LP2445 is a TN panel also. However, as its a HP panel, will there be the chance of a panel lottery with that or as its a different panel will it be free of the problems?

I really want to get a good product but having already purchased AND returned 2 monitors the last thing I want to do is get my hopes up, splash out £400 only spend the next 1-2months rolling dice and replacing something that should work.

Unfortunately, this is the world of LCDs. You will have to accept that there is large sample varience in all panels. It just comes with the territory. Most people that are content with your average TN would probably not notice the defects in some LP2475w, however the people that seek out this monitor are generally speaking more anal about their displays and hence the posted complaints.

But as you see, HP is really good at getting you replacment units and will work with you in getting you satisfied at no cost to you, other than time. Besides, you know more people post complaints about defective units, before compliments on non-defective units. So there will always appear to be more complaints in a thread like this. Look at the general feedback on the net about the model, and you get a good idea what to expect, just be ready to exchange units with HP or your vendor. If you buy the unit from a retailer like Amazon (not just through Amazon) you can count on a 100% garuntee of satisfaction.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I have one of these lp2475w monitors and so far I am on my third one and looking to replace it with a fourth. I love the moniotr and have had mine from day one of the release but it has always had the pink tint so I decided to RMA it. This was a no hassle process but my only complaint would be that HP are sending me refurb head units which have all been defective in some way.

The first unit had the latest firmware gig 072 and no pink tint but it had about 25 not dead but not stuck pixels in the middles of the screen which looked like a dirt stain. This was replaced.

The second one also has the latest firmware gig 072 but has pint tint and three of these patches of not dead or not stuck groups of pixels around the screen two are in the middle and one is to the right. so this one wll have to go back as well. I could see that the person who had this monitor before me had tried to wipe these of as there was a cloth mark in these area on the screen.

My concern is that I will always be getting a defective unit sent out as a replacement as you only return a produce it there is something wrong with. So I am guessing my forth one will be the same. :(

True that vick!

I decided to opt for the 2445... which is the TN alternative and I'm not entirely disappointed. The colours and what have you arent _bad_ and getting it looking "right" without a calibrater wasnt toooo much effort. But at £120 cheaper I thought id side with this for now as it will do the job i need it too without the possible chance of having to replace it...

How ironic it is then that I have these 2 cloudy splotches... I had a quick google for "TFT clouds or splotches" but I didnt get any results, what exactly are these. Theyre like cigarette burn size and display a bit darker than they should. Theyre more noticable from a distance but on a busy/moving image I doubt they will be a problem. I'm just wondering if theyll go with time or if they can be cured similar to dead pixels?

Finally, got my third replacement. 2nd one is FW068, same pink tint problem as my first one plus 1 dead pixel. Third one is FW072 and made in June. No dead pixel, pink tint problem still remains but much better than the 1st and 2nd one. Seems that FW072 focus on this issue a bit. I decide to keep it, keep sending it back and waiting for new one almost made me crazy. HP service is very good and efficient. If you are patient enough, you will get perfect panel finally. For those who can not wait, maybe Dell 2410 could be a nice try. But I wont expect the build quality of dell is better than HP.

I'm new to high end lcd, but like most of you, I'm kind of a nut when it comes to researching computers and other electronics. After many hours spent late night on the internet. I decided to take the plunge on the LP2475w.

I had seen an 24" IMAC in the Apple store and thought the display was spectacular. I thought I could recreate the same stunning image with my LP2475 on my PC. I just unpacked it last night and hooked it up to my new tower, a modest Gateway with onboard graphics and HDMI.

It powered up and it was...., um, average looking. I normally work on a cheap Acer laptop and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference.

What am I missing here? I did calibrate the settings to match those on the TFTcentral test. Not much difference. Where my expectations simply too high?

Machine is used for heavy office use, Word, email, internet. No games, no graphics, but I'm willing to pony up for a premium product if it's worth it.

Please help. Thanks!!

I'm new to high end lcd, but like most of you, I'm kind of a nut when it comes to researching computers and other electronics. After many hours spent late night on the internet. I decided to take the plunge on the LP2475w.

I had seen an 24" IMAC in the Apple store and thought the display was spectacular. I thought I could recreate the same stunning image with my LP2475 on my PC. I just unpacked it last night and hooked it up to my new tower, a modest Gateway with onboard graphics and HDMI.

It powered up and it was...., um, average looking. I normally work on a cheap Acer laptop and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference.

What am I missing here? I did calibrate the settings to match those on the TFTcentral test. Not much difference. Where my expectations simply too high?

Machine is used for heavy office use, Word, email, internet. No games, no graphics, but I'm willing to pony up for a premium product if it's worth it.

Please help. Thanks!!

LOL, Well if all you use it for is office work and the web, you won't see much difference. Try watching a movie or look at some nice photos or wallpapers.

I hear you on the movies, photos, and games. But why then did the iMac look stunning with just Google up? I know it has a glossy screen and I'm sure the colors, brightness, and contrast were cranked up. But would that account for the difference?

If you cannot see the difference between a laptop screen(at least the ones I have seen) and this monitor there is somethgin wrong with you. I recently had to view a cheap dell 17" LCD and spent a couple of minutes adjusting the tilt to no effect as the uniformity was awful and moving my head caused the background to slightly, but annoyingly shift colour.

You should not use anyone elses settings unless you want to use it for apps which need colour accuracy.

Play about either with the monitor settings till it looks good to you.

OK. I was exaggerating when I said I couldn't tell a difference between my Acer laptop and this monitor. Of course I can. To be more accurate, the difference is what I would describe as marginal. When I saw the iMac in the store, I would call the difference significant. As I alluded to, the HP2475w is simply not "popping" like the iMac did.

That is probably just something like nvidia's digital vibrance tunred all the way up or something like that.

I just got my 2475 this week, ordered from newegg for $530 USD.

Unfortunately mine also suffers from the color-shift issue, but my monitor seems to go from slight green on the left to darkish/blue on the right, not pink. I wasn't sure whether I was going to take the time to try for a replacement, but I also found a dead pixel, so now I think I may give HP a call. I still can't decide if it's all just in my head or not, but I think there may be a very, very slight input delay too (looking away so that I can see my monitor and my mouse, and then swinging a window around the screen).

It seems that I somehow got one of the older GIG052's, manufactured in jan 2009.

Hopefully the warranty dice will roll in my favor...

Last edited:
All this talk about color shifting... Are these still H-IPS or did they switch to PVA?

No they are still IPS. Color-shifting is a wrong word. They are either talking about tints or color temperature balance between left and right parts of the screen would be more accurate, and this isnt a viewing angle related issue like color-shifting of *VA screens, but a fault of panel or backlighting itself.

I am on my fifth so far and yet to find a screen that is fully working.

The forth didn't even display an image then when it did only two of the buttoms worked and there was a hole in the top left corner where pixels should of been.

The fifth one had f/w 076 on it but it had a large amount of stuck red pixels in the bottom righthand corner. Told HP to stop sending me replacements and have taken the complaint higher. All I ask for is a working monitor is it to much to ask for.

They said that they may do a "buy back" from me which involves them buying my old monitor off me which only involves me sending my old moniotr off to them and they sending me out a new one. Why can't they just do that in the first place.

Last edited:
Back