hp laserjet with jetdirect + linksys router

AsusUser

Limp Gawd
Jetdirect = HP built in print server.

Linksys router now.

Had to replace my old router which busted.

How do I go about getting the printer to work over my network? I don't want to connect the printer to one computer and use windows style printer sharing, especially because I don't feel like buying a 1284 printer cable.

I can't remember how to do it and the manuals from the HP site on my printer (laserjet 4000) are effectively worthless.

Yeah it's an old printer, but it does the job.

cant you just plug it into a switch port on the router and be ready to use it?

One site I work at has an HP 2200 w/ built-in JetDirect, and use an older Linksys router. The IP addy is 192.168.1.10, which may be the default. Try adding a port based on that IP and see what happens.

On a 4000 series printer use the menu right and left buttons to scroll through the menu.

On the EIO Menu [SELECT]
CFG Network = Yes [SELECT]

Use the value + and the value - keys to change the settings then press [SELECT]

By default the NIC does not have any values, if I remember correctly. Once you get the printer on the network you should will be able to connect to it through the web inter face by typing its IP into a web browser.

Hope this helps.

Many ways to easily set them up...I always prefer setting print servers on static IP addresses outside the DHCP pool.

The easiest way..that I usually use (takes a whopping 45 seconds or so)
Give your jet direct a hard reset..that will set it to Obtain IP from DHCP.
Check your Linksys DHCP lease section..you'll see the Jet Direct host name and/or MAC show up...and you look at the IP address it was given.

Open up IE..go to that IP address. Change it to static..and assign it something outside the DHCP pool. By default, you Linksys router will hand out 192.168.1.100 and on up. Give it something like 192.168.1.20.
Disable IPX
Disable CrAppletalk

Now you can go around adding it as a local TCP printer port.

I have a 2200 laser. I had the internal nic but it died. I got a jetdirect hookup and downloaded hps jet direct admin software to set this up. I couldnt get the jetdirect to just get an ip so i just used the software.

The software off the site seemed to be promising but it didn't work. Dunno why really. Axel and yeoldes posts should be sufficient to get it running though, thanks a bunch!

BTW, SoneCat's way is probably easier. At one time I had the menus memorized. I had to look in a service manual to make sure I had it right. Once you do a reset on the printer print out a configuration page. Page 2 that prints out will give you the IP address on the printer. Definately make sure you set it for a static IP.

Good luck to you.

Giving it a hard reset I assume is going into the resets menu and running "restore factory settings"

The ip address given on the printer config page is 192.168.150.5

When I go into the configuration menu to change "config network yes"

Navigating to that in a web browser results in the page not found section. I'm not even sure that the printer software is even installed, as the only thing on the HP website that seems to have any use is the universal print drivers. You can install that, go into properties, and put in the IP address listed for the printer and browse for printer under TCP, but nothing shows up.

The DHCP client table in my linksys setup does now show any printers, with or without 192.168.150.5 being added as a static DNS in the setup screen of DHCP.

Downloading just the printer drivers results in just the bunch of .dll files and other stuff that I don't know what to do with.

Exact model number is a 4000n by the way.

I'm about ready to give up, I don't know why it doesn't work. Oh well.

AsusUser said:
Giving it a hard reset I assume is going into the resets menu and running "restore factory settings"ell.

Similar..yeah. With internal cards...just holding down the blue/main button (or whatever the main menu/GO button is on your printer if it's older)...while power up, will do a cold hard reset...which includes the Jet Direct card.

On the external units....hold down that little button on the back of them for like 15 seconds.

The Jet Admin software, and the newer web based jet admin software, isn't really needed anymore since Windows 2000 came out..since direct TCP print ports are supported natively within the OS. It was needed back in the Win9X days to create the custom ports.

Sweet, did the Go on power button and it said "cold reset" and did things that it didn't do when I enabled it through the menu.

And it's now visible in my linksys client table, under the ip of 192.168.1.100

Which is letting me see the printer setup previously described.

I set the printer ip to 192.168.1.110 (address range of my dhcp setup is 100-109)
Hit apply, figured i would be able to change the properties in the HP universal Printing driver, but when I put in the new IP in the config screen that pops up when I try to print under network printers, it still said no printers were found.

I'm missing something simple I am sure.

are you able to ping 192.168.1.110?

a lot of times when you set a static address on a printer, you have to setup the subnet mask, default gateway, etc since it no longer gets this information from DHCP.

Yeah I pulled a homer.

It's working now, you have to go into the menus on the printer and enable network configuration BEFORE you put in the ip of the printer in the printer properties.

Thanks everyone!

Back