HP Laptop Graphic Problem

The Tom Bomb

Limp Gawd
My father is having a problem with graphic corruption on his laptop. Model is HP DV6-1234CA. It's core 2 duo based so it's fairly old. Screen looks almost identical to this thread I found on hp support: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...vilion-dm4-1162us-graphic-problem/td-p/539599

Don't think it's a driver issue, nothing has changed. Feel like it's hardware based. Hooked the laptop up to a tv via hdmi and the image was fine on the tv. Is this likely to be the screen or is the gpu on the motherboard fried?

Feel like this is a fairly common problem with dv6... just don't know quite what to search for.

Thanks for the help.

if it's fine when hooked to another screen that would make me think the cable/ribbon to the monitor is in bad shape. You could try to rock the screen back and forth and see if it makes the screen flicker or straighten up, if so, it's probably just a bad cable. I've seen a few get worn out over time and make the displays go wonky.

if it's fine when hooked to another screen that would make me think the cable/ribbon to the monitor is in bad shape. You could try to rock the screen back and forth and see if it makes the screen flicker or straighten up, if so, it's probably just a bad cable. I've seen a few get worn out over time and make the displays go wonky.

Tried to rock it back and forth, didn't help. If I tear the laptop apart, is a damaged cable that easy to detect?

They usually run through the hinges and up the back of the screen. If its damaged you should be able to see it, more then likely it will be somewhere around the hinges. I've seen some of the ribbons partially torn, and seen the cables be worn through the protective coating exposing bare wires. Just look for something similar.

Cables and ribbon look pretty good, no bare wires and the protective sleeve looks good too. I'm seeming to have a hard time tracking down the part number for the video cable. There's a barcode with "GLEDDC1413AAD051" on the cable, that turns up nothing on google. I don't think the DV6-1234CA was a very popular model. I'd like to replace the cable first since that seems to be a cheaper option. If that doesn't work, I'll go the route of the screen.

Back