HP L2335 backlight issue (and poll)

I received the HP L2335 a few days ago and am generally happy with it. It does seem to have a bad backlight though. I was wondering if you guys think I should exchange this monitor for a new one. I normally would exchange a defective product, but from what I have read, I am afraid of getting one that is worse (either backlight, or worse yet dead pixels). As far as I know there is nothing else wrong with the monitor. I haven't found any dead pixels by visually inspecting it (is there a software utility I can use to do this?).

So basically, these are my questions:
Is the uneven backlight, that the monitor has, considered bad?
Is there a good chance of getting something worse?
Should I just keep this monitor, for fear of getting something worse (I’d rather have a bad backlight then dead pixels)?

Thank you for any information/advice you guys can give me.

Small pictures of the backlight issue:
image1:
05-01-07%20area-64s%20monitor%20070%20(0).JPG

image 2:
05-01-12%20area-64s%20monitor%20018%20(0).JPG

Large Pictures of the backlight issue (links ~ 2MB):
Image 1
Image 2

The large images show it slightly better, but I didn't want to post such big pictures here.

*** I COULDN'T ADD THE POLL TO THIS POST, SO I STARTED A NEW THREAD HERE . ***

I'd return/exchange it. For the money you paid for the L2335, or any big monitor, don't take anything less than perfection.

For the money you paid for the L2335, or any big monitor, don't take anything less than perfection.

This could be a hard hard way to go.
Nothing Made by Man ist perfect. I you *want* to find a problem you will find it, I´m sure. I have gone to this process => Always expected absolutely perfect products (not only TFTs) under any circumstances. That drove me crazy, I couldn´t really enjoy the equipment but always thought: "Where is the failure, come on there must be a failure - in the end I always found at least one. I´m now more relaxed, that doesn´t mean I accept everything out of the box but I have a more balanced way of dealing with those things.
Example: I also have a CLJ 9500 which is the tod end modell of HPs color laser range. And also this product is not perfect. So it depens on what standards you set for yourself (I don´t know if I can say this in English, if it sound a bit confusing please tell me).

Large TFTs are always a bit difficult. I have the Cinema HD 30" display. The backlight is not bad, but not perfect. I went the way and got a second one. But also this TFT was not perfect (almost the same backlight behavior a bit worse). As I had some free time I went to two Apple Stores here in Germany and looked at the Displays - and also here: Not bad, but not perfect. Same with my 24" Samsung TFT. That doesn´t mean that there are no TFTs out with no backlight problems; the transition is fluent.

So you have to decide yourself if this is acceptable or not. On the basis of the pictures I can´t really judge if you backlight problem is worse than what the average HP 23" can achieve, because I´m working at a dark 17" TN TFT panel at the moment; I will have a look at it tomorrow with the right screen and gamma settings).

Denis

I had a problem with my 2335 and got HP to send me a replacement. They will send you the new one first so for a time you will have both to compare, if the new one isnt better just send it back instead. Also the new one the sent me has no problems with backlight or dead pixels.

Mine works perfectly...You might want to exchange yours for an new one...

Sailor_Moon said:
This could be a hard hard way to go.
Nothing Made by Man ist perfect. I you *want* to find a problem you will find it, I´m sure. I have gone to this process => Always expected absolutely perfect products (not only TFTs) under any circumstances. That drove me crazy, I couldn´t really enjoy the equipment but always thought: "Where is the failure, come on there must be a failure - in the end I always found at least one. I´m now more relaxed, that doesn´t mean I accept everything out of the box but I have a more balanced way of dealing with those things.
Example: I also have a CLJ 9500 which is the tod end modell of HPs color laser range. And also this product is not perfect. So it depens on what standards you set for yourself (I don´t know if I can say this in English, if it sound a bit confusing please tell me).

Large TFTs are always a bit difficult. I have the Cinema HD 30" display. The backlight is not bad, but not perfect. I went the way and got a second one. But also this TFT was not perfect (almost the same backlight behavior a bit worse). As I had some free time I went to two Apple Stores here in Germany and looked at the Displays - and also here: Not bad, but not perfect. Same with my 24" Samsung TFT. That doesn´t mean that there are no TFTs out with no backlight problems; the transition is fluent.

So you have to decide yourself if this is acceptable or not. On the basis of the pictures I can´t really judge if you backlight problem is worse than what the average HP 23" can achieve, because I´m working at a dark 17" TN TFT panel at the moment; I will have a look at it tomorrow with the right screen and gamma settings).

Denis

you are my man :)
you cured me!! :)

i have EXACTLY the same problem you had...........

I just got my L2335 last night and it actually is a bit better then that.

The question you have to ask though is can you notice it while you are using the monitor. I can tell you that what you are seeing is nothing compared to what the two 2005FPs I sent back were like.

Mine came with two of those white patches...similar to the Dell 2005FPW problems. Luck of the draw, unfortunately. While LCDs aren't perfect, egregious backlight issues such as yours should be fixed by getting it replaced. Don't settle.

What revision is this? I think mine was like 1001 or something, I will check tonight.

Torquemada XP said:
Mine came with two of those white patches...similar to the Dell 2005FPW problems. Luck of the draw, unfortunately. While LCDs aren't perfect, egregious backlight issues such as yours should be fixed by getting it replaced. Don't settle.

Have here four 2335 and all of theme have backlight Issues some minor some more

thats it

Back