• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HP l2335 23" 'Problems'

Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
25
Hi. I'm using an HP L2335 23" Widescreen LCD monitor that I recently got.

I'm trying to view widescreen DVDs (in this case, the movie "Serenity,") and
I'm using resolution 1920 x 1200, my monitor's native resolution.

When viewing the DVD, PowerDVD displays the image in Letterbox format, with black bars! I'm using a Widescreen monitor, so shouldn't the signal fill the entire screen up?

It's not only PowerDVD that does this, but also VLC player and Windows Media Player.

Any help would be appreciated, if I'm missing something...
 
Widescreen monitors are 16:10 (ie. 1.6:1). 16:9 content is 1.78:1 (this is the aspect ratio of a widescreen TV). The movie you are trying to watch is 2.35:1 (much wider than even a widescreen TV). So you are going to get black bars on ANY movie you watch because even the normal 1.78:1 movies will have black bars. But atleast the bars are much much smaller than on a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor :).
 
SonComet said:
Widescreen monitors are 16:10 (ie. 1.6:1). 16:9 content is 1.78:1 (this is the aspect ratio of a widescreen TV). The movie you are trying to watch is 2.35:1 (much wider than even a widescreen TV). So you are going to get black bars on ANY movie you watch because even the normal 1.78:1 movies will have black bars. But atleast the bars are much much smaller than on a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor :).

I see. This makes sense, thanks! I had some more questions before posting this thread, which were why my PS2 looks so abysmal when hooked up into the component input of my monitor. According to other threads, basically the lower-res the signal is compared to my monitor's native 1920 x 1200, the worse it looks. That's consistent with why when I hooked up my x-box original up and played Soul Calibur in 720p, it looked decent (not even as good as my normal TV on 480, though).

But I hear that playing an XB360 or PS3, since the signal is 1920 x 1080, will appear about as good as on an HDTV, right? I know the monitor doesn't support HDCP, which is what PS3 will have in it's HDMI connectors, but I presume there'll be some way to get around that..
 
Back
Top