HP Kayak XU800

Shaggy3zx

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be acquiring a Kayak XU800 in trade and was just wanting to know what type of upgrades I can perform on it.

Currently it has a single P3 1ghz slot b, U160 18.2gb scsi drive, and 512mb rdram. I have used the system and the performance is really quite good!

I'd like to start by getting a second processor so can I get just any P3 1 ghz or do I need two that are matching?

Then I'm thinking I should probably get a second larger U160 drive; I'm kind of worried that adding additional ram might be spendy but I am looking.

Any other suggestions? :)

Slot b? I think you mean slot 1. Athlons are slot A, xeons are slot 2.

Ram might be expensive, it might not, it all depends on where you buy it. Always a good idea though.

Ideally you want matched steppings, but if you check intels documentation for the p3's on their ftp ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII you should be able to find out what steppings are known to work together and which are not. It will require a touch of digging as I can't recall which data sheet that info is in.

*edit* found the sheet

ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/specupdt/24445355.pdf

check page 13 for compatible steppings.

You need a couple things. First off, you'll need another processor, and more importantly you'll have to get your hands on a compatible VRM module. The board in the XU800 doesn't have two VRMs onboard. Just the one for the first CPU. The second CPU will need another one installed in order for it to work.

Then of course you'll need the CPU. Which is slot 1. Not B. There never was a Slot B. The Athlon was slot A which was the same mechanical form factor as slot 1, but not compatible.

I've got some of those machines at work. I know them quite well.

Ok-ok I get it. :p

The processor is a Pentium III 1B/133/256k slot 1

It must be the cC0 stepping because the table shows that the cB0 stepping is not compatible in DP mode with any stepping.

/edit wcpuid confirms it is the cC0 stepping!

Also here is an interesting article regarding upgrading the Kayak.

The best part of all this is that apparently I could run dual xeon's! :)

Back