HP is not ready for Vista yet

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
at least in my case

i have a PSC1610 All-in-One which i use for work

so i go to HP's site and i figure they have some sort of pre-release, beta driver to try.....nope

so i go to their chat support thing.......and it starts like this

copy->paste:

Me: hello
Todd: Hello,
Me: I need a Vista driver
Todd: Welcome to HP Total Care for AiO products. My name is Todd. How may I help you today?
Todd: Okay,
Me: for the PSC 1610
Todd: Before proceeding, Could you please provide the operating sytem.
Me: Vista
Me: Windows Vista
Me: I am a Beta tester and I cannot get the current Windows XP driver to load in WIndows Vista
Me: so i was hoping your development team had a beta driver for Vista
Todd: Vista drivers are yet to be released . We will inform as soon as once release.
Me: I wouldnt mind if it was a beta driver if i could just use my HP product with it
Me: HP doesnt seem to have any Vista drivers ready
Me: is there not a person i can email to see if they have a beta driver to try?

:rolleyes:

so i go to HP's site and i figure they have some sort of pre-release, beta driver to try.....nope

Why didn't you make sure you had the drivers you needed before you installed Vista?

I have a feeling that one of the reasons microsoft released the beta version of Vista to the public was to jump start the development of drivers and third party support for the operating system in both 32 and 64 bits. Cuz now people in the general public and maybe even employees at HP will be looking to get their computer working with driver compatibility, and it's not just Microsoft trying to tell the big companies to look into it.

ElToro said:
I have a feeling that one of the reasons microsoft released the beta version of Vista to the public was to jump start the development of drivers and third party support for the operating system in both 32 and 64 bits.
Bingo...this is what happens when you try to run a beta operating system. I don't know how many more threads are needed to point this out, but it's a beta OS...that was just released to the public....for free. This is also why anyone with common sense who is trying it would be either dual-booting, or even better, running it on a spare system.

wow, i post a thread, just to make conversation, with a little useful info for anyone contemplating installing Vista, and all of a sudden the "how many threads do we need" and "it's a BETA! OMG!!" posts come out of the woodwork, i didn't say i expected it to work, i completely expected it not to, i didn't whine and complain about it not working, but so far HP is the only company without a driver for my system components, so as far as i am concerned, they are behind the curve

i didn't dual boot because i would just rather not, and it's not like installing XP again takes hours.....only takes an hour or two tops for me to wipe my system and start over, i do it all the time

if you guys don't like threads about Vista, refrain from commenting

i thought it was kind-of a negative thing that HP doesn't even have their own Beta drivers to use with the Beta Vista we are running, even Creative has a beta driver for Vista for my sound card, Nvidia has one for my video card, and Microsoft has provided the rest (which was a nice surprise this time)

You could however go looking for drivers for the specific hardware in the machine from places other than HP.

For instance, Vista installed fine on my Compaq V2608, but Compaq has no drivers out for Vista yet, so as the laptop has an ATI 200M chipset, I went to ATI's site, downloaded their Vista beta driver and installed it, and got a nice boost to my video speed.

Its a pain, and still no guarantee, but at the moment I've got it running on this laptop without a single device problem in the device manager.

Good luck!

nobody_here said:
wow, i post a thread, just to make conversation
I'd hate to see how you make conversation with your friends.

"Hey, Billy, you look like a pitbull, and your breathe smells like death!".

You're post was a rant on HP and why they don't have drivers ready for a beta operating system that was just released to the public. You're forgetting that only a very small group of people (MSDN subscriber's mostly) had access to Vista (legally) before this week.

djnes said:

You're post was a rant on HP and why they don't have drivers ready for a beta operating system that was just released to the public. You're forgetting that only a very small group of people (MSDN subscriber's mostly) had access to Vista (legally) before this week.

Including HP.....

djnes said:

rant....no....simple commentary with quoted text from HP support, and i don't know where you are going with the conversation with your friends comment.....you're just bitter because i called you out for the OMG! ITS A BETA!! OMG!! HOW MANY THREADS DO WE NEED OMG!! post, which was completely uncalled for, like i said, if you've no tolerance for Vista threads....move along....nothing to see here k thanks ;)

duby229 said:
Including HP.....

exactly, HP i am completely sure was one of the major first companies to have access to Vista for driver support.....in other words, they've basically had as much time as the other major companies, yet they still lagggggg.......

nobody_here said:
rant....no....simple commentary with quoted text from HP support, and i don't know where you are going with the conversation with your friends comment.....you're just bitter because i called you out for the OMG! ITS A BETA!! OMG!! HOW MANY THREADS DO WE NEED OMG!! post, which was completely uncalled for, like i said, if you've no tolerance for Vista threads....move along....nothing to see here k thanks ;)

exactly, HP i am completely sure was one of the major first companies to have access to Vista for driver support.....in other words, they've basically had as much time as the other major companies, yet they still lagggggg.......
I'm bitter because you called me out???? Seriously? Wow. :( We can't read minds...only what is typed, and what you typed was an all out rant. Sorry we couldn't read your mind to get the exact specific meaning, and could only go on what was typed, and the tone of the wording. Furthermore, I left HP at the end of April, and at that time, we did not have Vista available through any official channels. I was running a project that rolled out a new mobile print driver, and asked for Vista to test the spftware package, and was told it wasn't available yet for us to use officially.

djnes said:
Bingo...this is what happens when you try to run a beta operating system. I don't know how many more threads are needed to point this out, but it's a beta OS...that was just released to the public....for free. This is also why anyone with common sense who is trying it would be either dual-booting, or even better, running it on a spare system.

1. As many threads as we care to make thank you Mr. [H]ard Forum police man

2. This is a Beta OS? O'Rly?

3. So you assume I don't have common sense just because I chose not to dual boot or buy a second system just to run Vista on......

So to sum it all up.....you contributed absolutely nothing to this thread except assumptions about me and portraying the "Captain Obvious" role quite well yourself.....

You obviously still have an emotiinal attachment to your former employer. If you ask me, HP sucks balls, I absolutely hate 99% of their products and filthy bloatware for drivers, I bought it on the company card just to use as a scanner. It works as long as I don't install that crap that came with it on the disc which installs like three other programs I completely never asked for or wanted.....

i've ranted about corps before.. but this is just silly...
why would you expect drivers for a Beta operating system??

osalcido said:
i've ranted about corps before.. but this is just silly...
why would you expect drivers for a Beta operating system??

why dont you read then post

every other device i have hooked up has a working driver for Vista, except the HP garbage

so it seems logical that they would at least have an internal beta driver i could try out, if they gave a damn that is, but they dont

I don't have an emotional attachment to my former employer, as I was laid off, but thank you for asking instead of ASSuming. You started a rant, and when several pointed out that you were wrong in your rant, you decided to cop and attitude and get pissy. As others have said hundreds of times...it's a beta, and just because you failed to do your research before switching to a beta OS, doesn't make it anyone else's fault. When the date approaches that Vista will be final and available to the public, rest assured you will have drivers for your printer. When you paint a target on your chest, don't act shocked when the shots are fired.

EQTakeOffense said:
I think that anwsers alot of qustions.
I've submitted the suggestion many times when I worked there on why we don't have an option to just install a basic driver. It's one thing for an AIO product to need helper apps, but I have an older HP Photoprinter...a Photosmart 1315. The driver package is 65 MB. That's insane. The older days were better...for example for my LaserJet 4 Plus. The driver could still fit on a floppy disk, with room to spare.

Most of the crap and bloatware can be disabled from running at boot, so atleast memory isn't being wasted.

nobody_here said:
so it seems logical that they would at least have an internal beta driver i could try out, if they gave a damn that is, but they dont

in your opinion it is logical... and obviously it is not considered logical by HP, a few dozen other computer hardware manufacturers (Creative X-FI , No Crossfire, No SLI), and most people on this forum

That's a good point. Look at all the people who have to disable SLI just to install Vista. I'm pretty sure Nvidia cares about their customers. Unfortunately, that's the pitfalls of using a beta OS as your main machine, and why so many threads have been created saying not to do so.

EQTakeOffense said:
So, why are you so pissed that you couldn't get them?

well, i do want to use the damn thing......duh

jesus christ

this was a simple commentary on my experience with HP and Vista and it turned into a bunch of bullshit, it wasnt a rant, i didnt go on and on, i wasnt complaining about Vista, i was just very surprised that HP could not deliver like everyone else has so far......

it's not a big deal guys....i wish HP was on top of their game, they arent, nothing in this situation is going to be perfect, as we all know, this is a BETA OS, and like i said, i never expected everything to be peachy, but since Creative has a driver for my sound card, and Nvidia has a driver for my video card and all the other components have at least workable drivers included in the OS.........you would think HP would have a friggin simple .inf for Vista or something................

does anybody know how to run compatability mode in Vista? i looked where M$ says it is supposed to be, and I don't see it....maybe it's not in this build yet.....dunno

Now you are even contradicting yourself. The main gist of your rant was that HP wasn't ready for Vista's public beta release. Then you specifically mention Nvidia as being ready for Vista. How about all the people who made Nvidia rich with SLI systems, only to find out they have to disable SLI and one of their ultra expensive video cards, just to install Vista? Why not villify them as well? You mention Creative, but not the fact you have to scour their support forums for work arounds and unofficial beta drivers that works for a percentage of the people.

As you stated, jesus christ, but not because of our reactions, but for the initial actions, of being surprised that something was just quite right in a early beta release. If Vista had gone final and released to the public this week, your comments would be justified. If you paid money for Vista, your comments would have been jusitifed. As for now, if something just doesn't work, there's nothing that can be done but wait. No need to get your panties in a bunch with us or any specific company. No company owes anyone Vista drivers right now...if they have them great..if not...oh well. That's the nature of an early beta OS. It happen with XP, with 2000, and so on.

As you can see, there are no Vista drivers for my PSC 1410 , but I'm not complaining. That's why dual booting is the way to go...so if I need to print or scan, I can boot back into XP.

my entire point was every other device i have is useable now except HP's products.....thats all....

Limahl said:
You could however go looking for drivers for the specific hardware in the machine from places other than HP.

For instance, Vista installed fine on my Compaq V2608, but Compaq has no drivers out for Vista yet, so as the laptop has an ATI 200M chipset, I went to ATI's site, downloaded their Vista beta driver and installed it, and got a nice boost to my video speed.

Its a pain, and still no guarantee, but at the moment I've got it running on this laptop without a single device problem in the device manager.

Good luck!
uhhh dude, he's looking for a PSC1610 printer/multifunction device driver, not drivers for a HP computer system.....

I understand. I've been pretty impressed with Vista's ability to find and download drivers for things that aren't present during the initial install process. On my test machine, it has a SoundMax audio card. Vista didn't have drivers for it during the install, but when I told Vista to find them, they installed and work beautifully. My point, as with others is that if you come across something that doesn't have drivers, or some bug in the OS, etc, you just have to shrug it off, since it's beta. There have been so many threads of people complaining about things like this, without just realizing it's beta. As you probably know, the main reason MS is releasing the beta is so we can report back what's not working.

nobody_here said:
at least in my case

i have a PSC1610 All-in-One which i use for work

so i go to their chat support thing.......and it starts like this

copy->paste:

Me: hello
Todd: Hello,
Me: I need a Vista driver
Todd: Welcome to HP Total Care for AiO products. My name is Todd. How may I help you today?
Todd: Okay,
Me: for the PSC 1610
Todd: Before proceeding, Could you please provide the operating sytem.
Me: Vista
Me: Windows Vista
Me: I am a Beta tester and I cannot get the current Windows XP driver to load in WIndows Vista
Me: so i was hoping your development team had a beta driver for Vista
Todd: Vista drivers are yet to be released . We will inform as soon as once release.
Me: I wouldnt mind if it was a beta driver if i could just use my HP product with it
Me: HP doesnt seem to have any Vista drivers ready
Me: is there not a person i can email to see if they have a beta driver to try?

:rolleyes:
yeah same here they couldn't offer me vista drivers for my wireless adapter on my laptop

May 2005: HP's web site said x64 drivers would be available before the end of the year for my printer (deskjet 5740)
May 2006: beta drivers with only basic printing functions are available
June 2006: still no final driver and the OS has been out for a year

Expect those Vista drivers around Q2 2008...

so it seems i am not the only one who has a Vista system working......except for the HP products.......HP better get their stuff going or i will never buy another HP product again, i expect more from a company of that size

Wolf-R1 said:
This is probably the most appropriate response to the OP.

why do people continue to feel the need to point out that it's a Beta?

i got this by going to Microsoft's site and registering as a Beta tester, to download Beta software, to install as a Beta, and am using Beta drivers for those items that do work

the problem is not Vista Beta, it's HP's inability to deliver a simple Beta driver for the Beta OS that they knew was coming out and every other company I have a product from has at least a Beta driver to use at this point

so this is a Beta? :rolleyes:

If HP isn't working on drivers, that really is pretty surprising. Especially since Vista was supposed to be out by the end of the year originally. The whole point of a beta is to get your crap hammered out before it goes live. HP obviously shouldn't start driver development barely before or right as Vista releases. That'd be extremely annoying for customers. I'm with Nobody on this one. I too have Vista B2 installed and every piece of hardware, including this piece of crap who knows where it was made $7 webcam from frys, I could easily get a driver for.

Xeye_gumus_200.jpg

However try as I might, I can't get my Photosmart 7260 printer working. And its not even a fancy printer. A company like HP you'd think would be further along then this, even just for a basic document printout driver. If they are but don't want to release that, that's dumb as well. I could use Vista every day from now till it officially comes out, giving MS feedback and doing my part as a beta tester, except I have to send a file to another machine or dual boot to use the damn printer. Not video, not audio, not something else more advanced that you'd think would make it difficult to use Vista day in and day out. Just the damn printer. Are they obligated at this point in time? No. Are they looking like they aren't on the ball and are behind other companies? Yes.

Hell I could put Vista on my wife's machine in the kitchen and she can give her point of view feedback to MS as well. Only thing holding that machine back as well from every day use on Vista? The printer (also HP).

OldPueblo said:
If HP isn't working on drivers, that really is pretty surprising. Especially since Vista was supposed to be out by the end of the year originally. The whole point of a beta is to get your crap hammered out before it goes live. HP obviously shouldn't start driver development barely before or right as Vista releases. That'd be extremely annoying for customers. I'm with Nobody on this one. I too have Vista B2 installed and every piece of hardware, including this piece of crap who knows where it was made $7 webcam from frys, I could easily get a driver for.

Xeye_gumus_200.jpg

However try as I might, I can't get my Photosmart 7260 printer working. And its not even a fancy printer. A company like HP you'd think would be further along then this, even just for a basic document printout driver. If they are but don't want to release that, that's dumb as well. I could use Vista every day from now till it officially comes out, giving MS feedback and doing my part as a beta tester, except I have to send a file to another machine or dual boot to use the damn printer. Not video, not audio, not something else more advanced that you'd think would make it difficult to use Vista day in and day out. Just the damn printer. Are they obligated at this point in time? No. Are they looking like they aren't on the ball and are behind other companies? Yes.

Hell I could put Vista on my wife's machine in the kitchen and she can give her point of view feedback to MS as well. Only thing holding that machine back as well from every day use on Vista? The printer (also HP).

that's exactly my point, i was fully willing to leave Vista on that machine and submit feedback regularly to help improve it, but i was not willing to go buy another all-in-one machine to do this, i too feel HP is behind the curve

but it's all irrevelant to me now, i am so disgusted with the way things are looking on system requirements for Vista and dx10, etc.....that i decided to sell my PC

HP & Windows Vista support and drivers information.

"HP Ink and Laser printing products
HP is working to ensure customers will have the best experience with HP ink- and laser-based single and multifunction products connected to PCs running Windows Vista, including HP Photosmart, Deskjet, Officejet, LaserJet and other HP printing products. Windows Vista-compatible HP ink- and laser-based products will be available when the new operating system is released to the public. HP is working with Microsoft to include drivers in the Microsoft operating system for HP ink- and laser-based products introduced in recent years. For additional information or more details on Windows Vista upgrades, bookmark and re-visit this website often."

So as Djnes has already stated, be patient and wait. HP may have their own internal testers as opposed to releasing beta drivers to the public.

They will have Vista drivers ready sooner or later.. It is just taking longer to write all the extra bloatware HP seems so fond of.. ;)

Seems there are a lot of touchy people on the forums here and elsewhere. I ordered the Vista Beta 2 CD from MS, tried it, it was buggy as hell, antivirus and ATI drivers (including the ATI Vista Beta drivers) didn't work, so I uninstalled it. No big deal.

As Beta software, I fully expected it to not work perfectly... it was a risk I was willing to take. But upon posting a "review" thread in another forum describing my experience with it... people flamed the hell out of me. Either I was stupid for installing it (see above). Or I was stupid for expecting it to work (no, I didn't expect it to work... it is Beta). Or it worked for them, so I stupidly did not install it right so what's my problem? (yes I did follow the directions and it still didn't work). And if I ran the Compability Wizard and it showed my video would not be compatible with Aeroglass, I was stupid for continuing the installation. :(

SJConsultant said:
HP & Windows Vista support and drivers information.

"HP Ink and Laser printing products
HP is working to ensure customers will have the best experience with HP ink- and laser-based single and multifunction products connected to PCs running Windows Vista, including HP Photosmart, Deskjet, Officejet, LaserJet and other HP printing products. Windows Vista-compatible HP ink- and laser-based products will be available when the new operating system is released to the public. HP is working with Microsoft to include drivers in the Microsoft operating system for HP ink- and laser-based products introduced in recent years. For additional information or more details on Windows Vista upgrades, bookmark and re-visit this website often."

So as Djnes has already stated, be patient and wait. HP may have their own internal testers as opposed to releasing beta drivers to the public.

Yeah the standard marketing speak. Translation, "We don't want to release anything until its fully done, regardless of whether or not you our customer don't care and really want it knowing its not yet full featured with 90% of the features you may not care about." What's wrong with releasing a beta driver? I mean are they afraid they are going to crash your beta OS install? :p They don't have to support it by any means, but if it does nothing more then print a black and white doc, its still better to have then not have. Best form of beta testing is using the OS day in and day out. If you have to reboot to another OS to get other things done, that's obviously not as effective. All it takes is putting it up for download and making a quick I agree button that states we won't get support for it. What if all companies didn't release beta drivers? People would not be able to beta test at all. Quit being all stuffy HP and throw the enthusiast market a bone!

Personally, I'm in the "Beta test it to death so that I can know if I want to buy it the day it comes out" camp. None of this "Wait till the first year is over and the first service pack is out." If it works with all the stuff I care about, and I discover that through beta testing it daily, then lets roll the day it goes gold. ;)

OldPueblo said:
Quit being all stuffy HP and throw the enthusiast market a bone!

Personally, I'm in the "Beta test it to death so that I can know if I want to buy it the day it comes out" camp. None of this "Wait till the first year is over and the first service pack is out." If it works with all the stuff I care about, and I discover that through beta testing it daily, then lets roll the day it goes gold. ;)

So why not call HP and let them know how you really feel? :p

SJConsultant said:
So why not call HP and let them know how you really feel? :p

I'll do one better, I'm making a sign and am going to march on my home street! I bet HP ignores me though.......(barstards). :D

Microsoft isn't ready for Vista yet either. That's why they call it beta. Perhaps instead of complaining, you could use an officially released operating system. You know like the Windows XP one that does everything you need already. Perhaps next week, you can start complaining that Newegg doesn't have any motherboards in for AMD K8l processors or your local video store doesn't stock any copies of Superman Returns.

Back