• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HP Fixing XP SP3 Problems

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
According to this report, HP is working with Microsoft to fix problems people are having with Windows XP SP3. It seems that AMD based PCs are stuck endless rebooting because, after the update is applied, these PCs look for an Intel drive at boot up (which isn’t there) causing the endless boot cycle.

The main problem, as Johansson and others see it, happened because HP, and possibly other OEMs, used the same images for AMD-based PCs that were used with Intel-based hardware. The result for customers with those AMD machines when the SP3 service pack was applied turned out to be a number of problems, including endless rebooting.
 
LOL Tier One OEM....LMAO. What piece of crap...Way to cut costs, Hijos de Puta (HP)

Lauhgin from My AMD, Dual "CLONE" With XP SP3 donwloaded form Steve's Link
 
Awesome tip. Another way is to do a fresh install of XP with SP3. I have 5000+ BE and its been working fine w/o any reboot. You might also want to install the dual core optimizer from AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMD_Dual-Core_Optimizer_113.zip

Umm, my Odig Xp is SP2 let me tell you:
I had it on a PIV @1.5GHz with 768 MB Ram. Upgraded to a X2 4000 BBane with 2 GB Ram Same HDD. Did:
A Repair Install
Driver Cleaner with all the drivers
Installed New Drivers Including AMD Driver.
Installed SP3.

Running Smoothly.
 
It might be a good idea to read the source article before commenting... This problem only effects OEM systems which were incorrectly loaded with an install image meant for Intel PCs, which I'm sure several manufacturers are guilty of, but so far HP is the most common (also might even only affect those who received SP3 via windows update, but I'm not sure if that's the problem, or just the largest indicator).

In other words, if you built your own PC -- of course you aren't going to have a problem!
 
Besides, the whole point of the posts is to criticize how OEM do their installation. Using the same Image for Both AMD and Intel is going to kick ya in the face sooner or later. To cut Costs? Gimme a Break.
Vivan los HP.
 
Ran into similar issue with some older HP/Compaq/E-Machine systems recently -- their restore discs had Nvidia, ATI AND Intel video drivers all preloaded/preinstalled. Had to remove two of the three. Really lazy on their part, no excuse for that level of laziness. I would be ASHAMED to do that on my new builds I do.
 
I always built my own PC's. But I had a chance to pick up a media center pavilion on a good deal. AMD based (back in the good days). M7100e. It's been one of the best PC's I've ever owned. Bumped the ram up to 3gb, swapped out the 6600GT for an 8800GT and upgraded the power supply. Oh yeah, and threw a dual core 3800+ in it :) What can I say, it was on sale.

But, I digress. Last week I hit the dreaded SP3 error. Booted into safe mode and used system restore to go back. Worked like a charm. Always nice when that happens.

Anyways, with few carefully chosen upgrades, my pavilion's been good to me.

Oh yeah, just threw a 2nd partition and I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate w/SP1. All media center functions work and I'm getting a 4.8 on it! (proc and DDR memory keeping it low). I really don't know what more I could ask from this machine.



Then i read about the SP3 fix, applied it, applied SP3 no problem. Since guidance on how to build the image has been around for a while, I don't fault MS for this one. Plus, since system restore bailed me out, I can appreciate the hell out of that function.
 
I got news for you, this was wierd:
I was Running the Trial Version of Adobe Illustrator while editing some blueprints (4archives opened) with 1 on Visio for Network Topology, WinRAR Adobe Reader and Firefox.
I save and the Darn Illustratror Window Dissapears while it goes blank, and then just switches to Visio!!!

Do some stuff on Visio and then clic to open Illustrator, Badam!! It just opens as if nothing happens.
Illustrator has pulled some stuff on me before but nothing like this, seems like memory handling + GDI issue cause its evident the program was still resident in memory but the Os wouldn't draw its window.
 
If you are using a Shuttle XPC AMD, you might be careful about installing the dual core optimizer. I installed it on mine and lost control of the ICE fan. Nothing in the BIOS would correct it and the god damned fan would run constantly at over 3000 rpm even with no load. Uninstalling it made no difference, had to roll back to previous date.
 
Yet another reason why the first thing I do on any new PC is wipe it and install XP from scratch from my own media.
 
Back
Top