HP Firmware update process.

Modder man

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have an automated or scripted process they like to use for updating the firmware on HP servers. The SPP just takes to long so I am looking for alternatives.

Yes. You can download the ESXi scripted executables from HP (.scexe) and then simply copy them and execute via SSH. I have a 3-liner script to copy them from shared NFS drive to /tmp, change permissions to executable, and then loop through and execute each one.

Looking for the firmware for an Intel 82599 Nic and not having any luck. Any tips for finding firmware? I thought perhaps I could extract it from the SPP but i am not finding it listed in there....though I know the SPP will install it.

You have to search on HP's website for the specific server model. Then locate the appropriate firmware for ESXi 5.5/6.0 there.

I discovered that the firmware for the NIC does not exist in a file, the only way to update NIC firmware is via the SPP.

Last edited:
I discovered that the firmware for the NIC does not exist in a file, the only way to update NIC firmware is via the SPP.

You can custom build SPP using the original one. Only select the platform/hardware that applies to your environment to reduce the size.

Back