HP Elite

ATITek

Limp Gawd
Thoughts on this HP Elite build? I already looked into the PSU and is it plenty for the factory config. Any upgrades would need a require a new PSU.

I need this to last as a mainstream gaming rig for at least 2 to 3 years. My best guess is this will be betwee $1,100 and $1,300 with HP discounts available to me.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t series

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Moherboard: Pegatron IPMTB-TK [Intel X58 Express Chipset]
460watt Delta Electronics PSU
Intel Core i7-920 processor [2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache
8GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] ed
750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 Special Edition w/ DX 10 support
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Networking Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet,
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s.../psg/desktops/High_performance/HPE180t_series

what exactly are you using it for?

for $1100-$1300 looks good, if you aren't too heavy into gaming, I'd probably save ~$40 and get the 4850 (the GTX 260 won't be *much* faster, but it is faster, and it isn't much more money)

PSU will probably be fine depending on what upgrades you want to make, would handle more hard-drives, sound card, etc, I'd only be concerned if you were gonna do something ridiculous like throw a pair of GTX 295's in there

I like it. He says he wants to do gaming for 2-3 years and I'm confident this will hold up.

I like it. He says he wants to do gaming for 2-3 years and I'm confident this will hold up.

wow, I didn't even catch that :eek: (thats what I get for posting while gaming)

yeah, I agree with this poster then, GTX 260 should be fine, you might find yourself upgrading the graphics card (switching it out) in ~2 years, but everything else should be fine

I play CoD: Modern Warefare 2, Crysis, BioShock, GTA IV, Command and Conquer, and so forth. Based on reviews of that card I think it will be a good performer.

Here is what I need to replace. I think this HP will perform better than the specs below minus the SLI.

Asus P5ND nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, PCIE,DDR2
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9450, quad 2.66GHz cores, 12MB L2 Cache
DDR2 Memory 4096MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
2 x 512MB EVGA GeForce 8800GT DDR3 in SLI, PCIE,Dual DVI/HDCP
Integrated High Definition 7.1 Channel Sound
750GB Hitachi 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA 300 w/NCQ
Windows Vista Ulimate 64-bit

the HP should perform better than that, yes, the GTX 260 will wade through BioShock like it isn't even there (my 7900GS can play BioShock), basically any C&C game will be no problem (not sure on RA3, but everything else I've seen run on a 7600GT or lower (depending on game) with no issues), Crysis will suck even with a 5970, GTA 4 is about the same (its also probably the only game ever made that will make that 1.8GB of memory worthwile), not sure on MW2 but it should go fine

as a side note, unless you're selling that rig off, pop in one of those 8800's, free PhysX :)

Back