HP dv6000t?

Fireplay5

Limp Gawd
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am upgrading from a compaq 2500 and have a price range of around $1500. I would prefer an intel duo core 2 processor at the 2ghz range such as the T7200. I have my eyes on the HP dv6000t with 2gb memory. I wouldn't mind the dv9000t with the 17 monitor but may eventually use it for traveling and am not sure about lugging it around with the short battery life.

I do not do alot of gaming any more, but have in the past and may be up for some in the future. Personally, I just like to keep on the ball with upgrades and have found myself way behind. I am open to any suggestions for a similiar laptop in the same ghz range. Thanks for your help.

dv6000t is a great lappy, i recently purchased one, T5200 @ 1.6GHz, 2 gig ram, go7400. For your money you can get better spec. Battery life isnt great, only get a couple of hours out of it, and the webcam didnt work nativly with vista, had do get some hacked up drivers from a another forum on the web. Other than that a good buy

I have read about certain features not working with vista. What a load of crap. I am sure they will work it out eventually, but seriously. I can't believe it comes with software that doesn't even work properly. I have even heard of an issue with word 2007 causing reboot issues with vista.

Do you know anything about the 12 cell battery. It looks like it makes it heavier and increases its size, but I wonder if it helps its battery life?

I have the dv6244us and it is great. With vista you must open the quickplay program to use the webcam, it works great for me. They are working on a solution so its no big deal. The battery life of the 12 cell is about 8 hours.

i dont know anything about 12 cell battery, but the laptop is fairly light for its size. Plenty of extra features like memory card reader, webcam (tho its only 1.3mp and isnt too good looking) and a remote that works with media center. The onboard speakers are not too shabby either.

It has a couple of downsides too, like no latch to keep lid closed (tho it doesnt easily open), and its got an express card slot instead of a pcmcia card slot.

I am not so sure I like the fact that it doesn't have a latch. I guess I can't be too picky. About the 12 cell battery, does it make the laptop thicker or alot larger or even much heavier? Thanks.

Is the 8hrs just letting the system idle unattended, runing web/office/media apps, or actually doing something that puts a real load on the CPU?

id say about 5 or 6 with the wifi card turned on. and 8 when using Office with wifi turned off.
The 12 cell does make it slightly heavier but the point of the lion battery is to provide more battery life with out it waying too much more.

forgot to mention that my 2 hours comes from some websurfing and some gaming online, all over wireless, you'd probably get some more if you were just doing office work.

The 12-cell battery will protrude at the bottom which will put the laptop at a angle when on a flat surface. This makes it more comfortable if the laptop is sitting on a table, but it could be a bother if it's sitting on your lap. They just came out with a 6-cell high capacity battery which is said to be a 10%-15% increase. With a regular 6-cell, most people get about 1:30 to 2:30 on a full charge. With a 12-cell it could range from 4:30-7 on a full charge.

Another thing I hated about the HP DV series laptop is that the screen cannot be tilted back at a full 180 angle; it can only be tilted back close to 125 degree angle.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. You have helped me develop a clearer picture of this particular laptop and have assisted me with my final decision. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. You have helped me develop a clearer picture of this particular laptop and have assisted me with my final decision. Thanks again.

Just out of curiosity which laptop did you go for?

I haven't bought one yet, but am planning on ordering one from HP I think. I will customize the dv6000t to have the T7200 and 2gb system memory. Odds are I will go ahead and max out the other options also.

Back