HP DV6000 repair

colinstu

2[H]4U
I was given a HP DV6300 series laptop recently, with the "Wifi not working / only the lights turn on when turning on the laptop and no signal to the screen" problem. Searching online HP has an enhanced warranty for some of those laptops that had those problems.

This model fit the requirements, I talked to a representative. We did a little trouble shooting (didn't work of course) and was approved to ship it to them. It's all free, I'll be sent a box to ship to them.

They did say however that any other damages will be repaired and I will be charged. What kind of damages would this be? Keyboard missing keys / crack in screen? The reason I'm asking is because some of the stickers on the bottom have warn off and some of the rubber feet on the bottom of the laptop of also fallen off. They aren't going to replace those and charge me for little things like that, will they?

I would assume the law for something like this would mimic a car repair. Therefore, they cant possibly charge you for something you don't explicitly authorize. If they want to replace something other than exactly what you have sent it in for - small or large - they must get your consent.

I hope you have another computer handy...you may have to wait a while. But, you may win in the end if you wait too long.

I sent in a client's DV2415NR or something for that same repair the week before Thanksgiving.

I got a call on 12/19 saying it would be 1/5/09 before it was done.

I ended up asking to speak with someone higher in order to see if I could just get it swapped out with a comparable model

He looked at the delay, I explained that the client was a pilot who made frequent international flights, and would be heading to Brazil for 3 weeks in the middle of January. He looked at when it was set to be completed, then decided that they would replace the laptop in order to attempt to get it back to me before 1/10/08.

The laptop that was sent in:
DV2000 series 14" WXGA
Turion X2 TL-58 1.8ghz dual core
1gb (2x512mb) RAM
160gb hdd (failed, SMART showed temps at 122C)
DVDDL

The laptop they are replacing it with:
DV4 series 14" WXGA
Pentium Dual Core T3200 2.0ghz dual core
3gb (1gb + 2gb) RAM
250gb hdd
DVDDL
integrated HD TV tuner
And a brand new 1 year warranty.

Only bad part is that the batteries and AC adapter he had won't work on the new system.

This is a laptop that I received from a sister, and I'm usually the go-to guy when it comes to computer repairs. But seeing that this a real problem in this series of notebooks, and could be a motherboard failing due to faulty components, then I'm all for shipping it to HP and getting it fixed - especially for free. I was expecting her installing some software and f'ing up her OS... just to find out that is doesn't boot at all. I was first trying to find a way to take the screen off to see if the video cable just became un-attached... googling lead to many other people with the same problem and HP's site talking about an enhanced warranty.

The guy on the phone sure sounded like I'll be charged no matter what... not sure, sure hope that I'd have to authorize.

Back