HP Common Slot

seg--fault

n00b
Hello,

I'm in the process of building a computer cluster and the server chassis that I'm using accept the HP Common Slot power supply. These are marketed as being high efficiency power supplies (typically 94%) and as such they are more expensive than other power supplies.

There is another power supply made for HP's DL580 G5 server which is less efficient but also less than half the cost. The DL580 G5 uses the common slot interface and has a power supply which accepts DC power that is listed as a common slot power supply. The AC supply, however, is not.

Does anyone have experience with this and know if the DL580 G5's AC power supply works with common slot servers? I'm wondering if they just left it out of their marketing information to advertise their power supplies as higher efficiency or if it really is incompatible.

Thanks

Hello again,

Not sure if anyone cares but I did end up buying the dl580 G5 AC power supply and testing it on my DL2000 server. The answer is, yes the server runs just fine on it.

When I bought my ML370 G6, I bought high efficiency 1200W power supplies that weren't specified for my server or included on any configuration pages for it. I think only one server had it specified IIRC. Nevertheless, I ordered three...two for the server and a spare. Never an issue even three years later, and the spare is still sealed in it's factory box...;)

When I bought my ML370 G6, I bought high efficiency 1200W power supplies that weren't specified for my server or included on any configuration pages for it. I think only one server had it specified IIRC. Nevertheless, I ordered three...two for the server and a spare. Never an issue even three years later, and the spare is still sealed in it's factory box...;)

FWIW, I wouldn't have left that spare supply sealed in the box... Always a chance it could have been a dud, and capacitors deteriorate over time if not charged up, (though I think it takes something like 10 years for that to happen, but don't quote me on that...)

Back