HP C3000 blade system power usage

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by TeleFragger, Mar 30, 2017.

1. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

Ok so bare with me. i have been all over google and couldnt find out what I was looking for. I figured there are many people here and someone may know or have one to see or share the screen.

I currently run 4 machines with esxi 6.0u2.
    1 - dual xeon - 48gb ram
    3 - single xeon - 24gb ram

so it got me thinking as I found on google that someone bought a blade chassis (3000) then got another.I cant find the link now but he said...something to the effect of..

the blade manager software showed his blade using 118w

so for me.. I am curious if a hp c3000 with 8 blades but not all used at the same time is a good thought for a home lab vs my current setup. my dual xeon (HP Z800) seems like a power hungry hog and i could end up with a better setup

i see on ebay and even CL that i can get a fairly simple c3000 chassis with fans and power supplies and even at times with some blades/cpu's and memory for say $900...

so my gears are grinding...

so anyone here have access to the HP C3000 where they could show pics of the power manager? im just thinking i could lower my power bill and get more of a lab...

ill get bashed for this i know.. hah so all good.. but even the show us your lab setup.. there are some AWESOME setups but that has to run a nice electric chunk...

2. k1pp3r

k1pp3r [H]ardness Supreme

I am a fan of Blade Chassis, just not really for home. Between heat, weight and other factors just don't really make them suitable unless you have a dedicated space for your equipment (Not a closet!)

I normally deal with the C7000 so looking over the C3000 you would be looking at:

300 lbs fully loaded with 8 half height blades and 4 interconnect slots full.
    BTU rating of 3000 BTU/hr
    Ready state power of 800 wats PER power supply (I couldn't find out the PS requirements for powering all zones in the chassis, you would likely need a minimum of 2 per zone to power the entire chassis, so 4 PS pulling 800w in ready state)

When it comes to power, you can't just consider the power your blades draw, also consider the 8 fans, 4 interconnects, mgmt cards and everything else inside the chassis.

You would be better off looking for something like the older Dell C6000 setup in my opinion.

3. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

^^ and i appreciate all that!

hmmm dell c6000 - on the search now... just to look

4. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

I've intentionally moved to rack mount / tower for this reason. Power draw on those is nuts, especially with the efficiency losses of the interconnects, and the high-speed fans.

5. tsjk

tsjk n00bie

[​IMG]

Here is a C3000 chassi with 8 blades, 2x G6, 2x G7 and 4x Gen8 servers, all except Gen8 have dual cpu.

Though my PSUĀ“s are quite old, if you get PSUs from say a gen8 or something they will be more efficent, and you can powercap etc aswell.

However they are quite loud, and i would defentiely go for rack servers if i had less then 3 servers. you need switches etc for the c3000 too.

6. madLyfe

madLyfe n00bie

tsjk your image is borked!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017