HP Blackbird 002

I do like the Blackbird, particularly the high end model. However, HP's1 year limited hardware and 1 year technical support doesn't compare favorably with warranties from other boutique manufacturers.

Maybe HP assumes that those individual who have the disposable income to purchase a high end Blackbird are not worried about a multi-year warranty. :confused:

I have spoken to HP and they are going to offer extended warranty soon - This will also be offered to all earlier Blackbird buyers - maybe not as good as an automatic 2 year out of the box but at least the option will be there.

I have spoken to HP and they are going to offer extended warranty soon - This will also be offered to all earlier Blackbird buyers - maybe not as good as an automatic 2 year out of the box but at least the option will be there.

HP told me the same thing. However, it would be nice to know prior to purchasing the computer how much the extended warranty will cost. For example, if HP's extended warranty will be priced at $599 and covers only two years I would like to know that upfront. If nothing else it would allow me to compare apples to apples when comparing systems between the various manufacturers.

Secondly, what if HP extended warranty plan goes into effect after your initial one year warranty? Is HP prepared to grandfather those customers into their extended warranty program that were "early adopters" so to speak? When I asked that same question to the HP representative I was told that had not been determined at this time.

For a computer that can costs updwards of $7,000 I'm surprised that HP does not have a defined warranty program currently in place.

I'm not sure how the OP managed to get the price he described.

Configuring what I know of his rig from posts and pics returns a price far in excess of what he paid.

What am I missing?

He may work for a company with a corporate deal with HP. Although, I would have thought the blackbird would be excluded [the XPS systems are omitted from my company's deal with Dell]

I'm not sure how the OP managed to get the price he described.

Configuring what I know of his rig from posts and pics returns a price far in excess of what he paid.

What am I missing?

You are missing that his signature and the Blackbird are not the same.
His signature has 2x8800 Ultras, but his Blackbird only has 2x8800GTs.

How long has the blackbird series been up and running? Ive yet to see this on the hp uk site.

Wonder if tis possible to buy those cases seperately.

How long has the blackbird series been up and running? Ive yet to see this on the hp uk site.

Wonder if tis possible to buy those cases seperately.

I do not remember the exact launch date, there was an event in NYC for it (have to look through emails for when that was) probably around September of 2007, but it has not launched internationally yet. From what I understand they hope to soon, but first must get a solid step going in the US/Canada.

Also, the case is not sold separately.

I tried pricing out the Blackbird through a friend of mine who is on the HP EPP and he was unable to get any deal on it. Has anyone compared it with a Mac Pro in terms of gaming yet?

my guess is it cleans the mac pro's clock for gaming, simply because the mac pro is a DV machine, and wasn't designed to game

the OP pm'd the specs to me when ordered a while back:

Product Summary:

HP BLACKBIRD NEW YEAR SPECIAL

- Dual Core - Intel(R) Core2(TM) Duo 3.0GHz E6850
- 2 GB 800 MHz CORSAIR PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
- CPU Liquid cooling
- ASUS Striker Extreme 680i
- Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
- ADI Onboard
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA
- 900 Watt Power Supply
- Super multi-drive, slim slots with Lightscribe (DVD+/-R/RW+/-DL)
- Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM) Ultimate (Free Upgrade)
- Grisoft AVG Professional Anti-Virus -1 year subscription
- Cyberlink DVD Play
- CyberLink DVD Play HD/BD
- PowerProducer
- Power2Go
- Cyberlink Label Print
- Orange Box (Free Bundle)
- Recovery DVD
- Voodoo Mouse by Razer
- Voodoo Keyboard by Razer
- 1 year limited hardware and 1 year technical support

Back