HP and ASU Demo Flexible, Unbreakable Displays

HardOCP News

[H] News
HP and the Flexible Display Center at Arizona State University have announced the first prototype of affordable, flexible electronic displays.

The unbreakable displays were created by the FDC and HP using self-aligned imprint lithography (SAIL) technology invented in HP Labs, HP’s central research arm. SAIL is considered “self aligned” because the patterning information is imprinted on the substrate in such a way that perfect alignment is maintained regardless of process-induced distortion. SAIL technology enables the fabrication of thin film transistor arrays on a flexible plastic material in a low-cost, roll-to-roll manufacturing process.

Until I see video of it in action, I will not get myself excited about it. Though, it would be cool to have an iphone with a large screen that reduces into a stick that you put into your pocket... like the things they used in Earth: Final Conflict.... or was it Tekwar?

I believe they used something similar in The Red Planet.

I second the motion of seeing the flexible display in action with full details regarding resolution, pitch and such.

give it a few years, the next thing you know you'll have commercials playing on your toilet paper as your taking a dump

I'm cool with that, techx. That means I can wipe my ass on Stephen Harper's face during election time!

Maybe ASU is actually making use of the insane tuition increases over the past decade.

oled's should be able to make thin flexible screens too. dont know about durability but they will surely be nothing short of amazing as far as picture quality goes...

The only thing keeping OLED off of the store shelves is the really low blue subpixel lifetimes and high price. Something needs to come along and give TN and LCDs the boot.

wow i still remember joking even only 10 years ago how it would be so sweet to have like...a foldable TV...

gimme my holographic projection of princess leia already! (oh wait...cnn already did that and it looked like crap)

Imagine gen 2 or 3 of something like this. A 10 ft tv that looks like one of those white projector screens hanging on one wall.

I'm wanting to see these flexible screens. They would be pretty cool to use as a PDA that you can wear around your wrist or something. I've seen them show stuff like that in movies. Real life applications of it would for sure be used just because of how versatile it is. Really though, I would be concerned about the long term durability. I'm very skeptical about "unbreakable". Nothing is unbreakable.

<off topic>

gimme my holographic projection of princess leia already! (oh wait...cnn already did that and it looked like crap)
That was a false hologram.. it was really just a green screen effect that you can computer project into a scene with transparency. Mr. Blitzer really couldn't see him standing there in front of him unless he was looking at a monitor. Anyway, if you want to see real good quality holograms for live meetings, you have to look at the new Cisco Holographic Telepresence technology. There's some videos of it floating around the web, and it looks so realistic that you can hardly tell the person is a 3D projection. (well, besides the videos online that dont' show the contrast/brightness properly because it has to be sort of dark in the room to maximize the effect)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcfNC_x0VvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhFXmNUt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2kqt3KNxA <--really cool showing multi-layered transparency

</off topic>

Maybe ASU is actually making use of the insane tuition increases over the past decade.
The problem is that it won't come back to the majority of the students. What Michael Crowe and ASU have been doing to its students over the past 6 years is criminal.......and I mean that in every sense of the word.

The problem is that it won't come back to the majority of the students. What Michael Crowe and ASU have been doing to its students over the past 6 years is criminal.......and I mean that in every sense of the word.

Yeah but Mill Ave was fun on Halloween....

Sounds good, but I don't think it is a good idea of marketing it as "Unbreakable", it maybe strong, yes. But I think they are pushing it, or maybe they will be ok if they don't manufacture it in Ireland:rolleyes:

Allegedly he makes 700K a year. Pretty impressive scam he has going.

LOL!!! i can't wait for that!! well really i can't wait to shit on any ad
So this would lead up to the introduction of apple brand toilet paper: introducing the ishit.
You can listen to itunes with streaming ads while taking care of business on the throne.
If you hear a song, an ad, or something you don't like, you can just "wipe" it away. :D

I swear it's the voices in my head that make me write stuff like this. :p

Back