• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HP 3810 deskjet printer not working

sailor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
158
The power LED blinks while receiving the data and the computer get no error so it seems the printer gets the data correctly but then it does nothing. Nada. Just sits there. No errors. It can use parallel cable or USB and it does the same with both. What can be the cause? Where can I look? I can't think of anything.
 
Try hooking it up to another PC. Or another USB, uninstall drivers try different ones?


Throw this one out get a new one :p Its only a deskjet and on top its a HP printer. Their RMA is hellish, and tech support is Hellish on the 666th level of Indian Hell.

Why do you have HP? You do know they are worst printers on earth? Excluding Laserjets.
 
Wrench00 said:
Try hooking it up to another PC. Or another USB, uninstall drivers try different ones?
Tried all that. No luck. The problem is obviously with the printer.
Throw this one out get a new one :p
My goodness. What a wonderful idea! It never occurred to me that I could do that! :rolleyes:
Why do you have HP? You do know they are worst printers on earth? Excluding Laserjets.
Do you feel very superior to those of us who own HP printers? Even if they were given to us? Because I do not understand why you would feel the need to post that. You find it satisfying? It seems every time I ask a question here about resolving a problem some &*%# feels the need to tell me I should just dump everything I have and go out and buy brand new stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyone have some useful advice?
 
Hey, there's a reason why we own the printer market. I'll give you some Epson Photo level printers are nice, but when you look across the entire spectrum of printers, ours are pretty kickass.

Anywhoo, check into some things, such as are the ink cartridges seated correctly? Can you try it on another computer? You could also try built in drivers for Windows, instead of loading the whole driver package, just to see if that works. Does it happen across all applications you print from?

If nothing else, it may have gone bad. Our RMA process is pretty painless, assuming it's under warranty.
 
>> check into some things, such as are the ink cartridges seated correctly?
Yep. Cleaned the contacts just in case.

>> Can you try it on another computer?
Yep. Tried that. Several computers. No luck.

>> You could also try built in drivers for Windows,
Tried that too.

>> Does it happen across all applications you print from?

Yes. Even pressing the printer button to print a test page. The LED blinks as it should but then nothing happens. The printer thinks it has completed the task. When it powers up the printer does the whole song and dance: rollers roll back and forth several times, printer heads move around, a sheet of paper is fed through. . .

>> If nothing else, it may have gone bad.
Looks like it.

>> Our RMA process is pretty painless, assuming it's under warranty.
No, I don't think so, I've had it for a while. Oh well.

In my personal experience Canon printers have worked pretty well for me with Lexmark being the worst.
 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7012754/

H-P sued over printer cartridge expiration
Woman claims programming, not ink level, determines life

woman has sued Hewlett-Packard Co. , claiming the ink cartridges for their printers are secretly programmed to expire on a certain date, in some cases rendering them useless before they are even installed in a printer.
. . .
H-P is the world's No. 1 computer printer maker. An H-P spokesman said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

H-P ink cartridges use a chip technology to sense when they are low on ink and advise the user to make a change. But, the suit claims, those chips also shut down the cartridges at a predetermined date regardless of whether they are empty.

"The smart chip is dually engineered to prematurely register ink depletion and to render a cartridge unusable through the use of a built-in expiration date that is not revealed to the consumer," the suit said.
So, if this is true, HP would be trying to prevent cartridge refilling. That would piss me off royally and it would be *really* stupid of them. If they would at least openly say it then I would know but if my printer has stopped working and I have wasted hours trying to find out the cause. . . don't expect me to ever buy an HP product again. I am NOT going to buy new cartridges just to test the printer with them. I'll have to see if I can borrow some working cartridges.

In any case, I think I'll generally be sticking with Canon in the future because I've had the least problems with their printers.
 
Yes, the ink cartridges will expire. Apparently, they will might shut down. Over time, the cartridge tends to dry up, so maybe its to protect the rest of the printer from damage? :confused: I have a feeling that if this is the case, your printer would report no ink or bad cartridge installed instead of acting like its printing. So, I'd surmise either your cartridges are empty or dried up, or a controller board is faulty.

I bought a Business Inkjet 1200 a couple months ago. I can view the expiration date of its cartridges, they are 7-30-2007.
 
sailor said:
So, if this is true, HP would be trying to prevent cartridge refilling. That would piss me off royally and it would be *really* stupid of them. If they would at least openly say it then I would know but if my printer has stopped working and I have wasted hours trying to find out the cause. . . don't expect me to ever buy an HP product again. I am NOT going to buy new cartridges just to test the printer with them. I'll have to see if I can borrow some working cartridges.

In any case, I think I'll generally be sticking with Canon in the future because I've had the least problems with their printers.

We are all getting a good laugh out of this case. This woman has no idea what she's talking about. I have ink cartridges that have been manufactured 3 years ago, and I can still use them just fine. What she's really having a problem with, I bet, is she tried refilling them, and they dried out on her because she didn't seal the cartridge back up.
 
Y2K SE said:
Yes, the ink cartridges will expire. Apparently, they will might shut down. Over time, the cartridge tends to dry up, so maybe its to protect the rest of the printer from damage? :confused: I have a feeling that if this is the case, your printer would report no ink or bad cartridge installed instead of acting like its printing. So, I'd surmise either your cartridges are empty or dried up, or a controller board is faulty.
Now the printer does not even do that and, after the initial power-up song and dance, both the power and the resume LEDs blink together and the printer does not respond. It may be worth testing it with working cartridges.
I bought a Business Inkjet 1200 a couple months ago. I can view the expiration date of its cartridges, they are 7-30-2007.
How can you see them? Is it through software? Or is it on the cartridge? The color cartridge I have has a date on it 20040308 but I assumed it was the date of manufacture. The black has no date.

BTW, when I print a test page from the printer properties control panel, it sends the data correctly and also reports there is some ink in the cartridges.
 
You could check into a local printer place and see if they would test it for you with one of their guinea pig cartridges. The worst they'd tell you is what it'd cost to do it (some will do it gratis if it means they'll sell you some cartridges). If it doesn't work with their cartridge, as with any inkjet you throw the thing out and buy another one. I'm well acquainted with the owners of a cartridge/printer place here in town and they've told me that inkjets just aren't economical to repair with the exception being some of those commercial wide format inkjets.

If you don't have to print stuff in color, go around to some of the local printer repair places and see what a refurbished Laserjet would run you or you can get one of those HP 1012 Laserjets (I think that's the model) which are under $200.
 
Try unplugging the printer for 10 minutes then plug it back in. This will reset the code in the printer.



As for the lady complaining about experation dates, those dates are there as a guideline to let the customer know that the pens are good. I have three color cartriges that are past the date. Guess what, two work one does not. She will lose.
 
I think I'll try to test the printer with confirmed working cartridges. That seems the best thing to do at this point.

I found some information of HP policy on cartridge expiration:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

HP has told him that the date printed on the ink cartridge is not the expiry date, and that is determined either by a cartridge being in the printer for 30 months, or the cartridge is 4.5 years old, whichever comes first.

The date on the cartridge, which you'd every reason to think was the expiry date if you didn't know, is 2.5 years after it was manufactured.
Also related:
http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp45_15reset.htm
http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/printers/HP_ink_scam.html
http://wandel.ca/homepage/printer_ripoff.html
http://wandel.ca/hp45_anatomy/index.html
 
sailor said:
How can you see them? Is it through software? Or is it on the cartridge? The color cartridge I have has a date on it 20040308 but I assumed it was the date of manufacture. The black has no date.
I can see all kinds of details about my ink cartridges either through the HP Toolbox or the web interface (my printer is network-ready and I have it connected to the network instead of to a system): expiration date, ink level, ink volume used, estimated pages remaining. The ink levels are probably estimates based on the amount of ink that gets fired through the nozzle times the number of times the cartridges fired. Pretty easy process to implement. Maybe they've gotten more technology involved, now, though.

BTW, when I print a test page from the printer properties control panel, it sends the data correctly and also reports there is some ink in the cartridges.
Well, that means that the printer believes the ink cartridges are good and firing ink like they should. My guess, based on that info, is you've got faulty cartridges. Try removing and shaking them; you should hear the ink splash around inside. (You might have to listen closely :))
 
Have you unplugged the printer and plugged it back in? It will reset the software in the printer. Also try printing from another machine if possible to see if just your machine or printer.
 
zoobaby said:
Also try printing from another machine if possible to see if just your machine or printer.
The original poster says It fails to print the self-test. Connecting to another computer won't fix it.
 
Y2K SE said:
Well, that means that the printer believes the ink cartridges are good and firing ink like they should. My guess, based on that info, is you've got faulty cartridges. Try removing and shaking them; you should hear the ink splash around inside. (You might have to listen closely :))
But after receiving the data the print heads do not move to print. The print heads move around during the startup routine but not for printing. Now it does not do even that, now the power and resume LEDs blink all the time. I'll try with working cartridges if and when I can and if id does not work I'll dump it.
 
sailor said:
But after receiving the data the print heads do not move to print. The print heads move around during the startup routine but not for printing. Now it does not do even that, now the power and resume LEDs blink all the time. I'll try with working cartridges if and when I can and if id does not work I'll dump it.
Ah, when I read one of your earlier posts, I thought that it printing, just not laying any ink down. When you turn it on, does it blink the power and resume LEDs? If so, that should be an error code that you can look up on HP's support pages.
 
Open the cover on the printer, move the carriage that holds the ink. Unplug and close cover. Plug back in. If it still does not work, turn on your PM's and I will try to help you via PM.

EDIT: Check out this site: Hp Support FAQ for dj3810

Also try holding the power button down and press the paper button 4 times. If it prints a page, pm me the text on that page.
 
Y2K SE said:
Ah, when I read one of your earlier posts, I thought that it printing, just not laying any ink down.
Nope. I've had that happen before and it was corrected by replacing the cartridge but now the head does not even move. OTOH, it *does* move during the power-up sequence so it's not like the motor or something mechanical is wrong.
When you turn it on, does it blink the power and resume LEDs? If so, that should be an error code that you can look up on HP's support pages.
During the power-up routine the three LEDs blink sequentially. After the power-up routine is completed the resume and power LEDs blink simultaneously with a frequency of about 88 blinks/min (1.47/sec). In this state the printer does not respond at all. This is different from what was happening before where the printer would be ready to print but not respond. Now it is not even ready to print and both LEDs flash.
 
zoobaby said:
Open the cover on the printer, move the carriage that holds the ink. Unplug and close cover. Plug back in.
Done that many times. No luck.
If it still does not work, turn on your PM's and I will try to help you via PM.
I don't know what is PM
EDIT: Check out this site: Hp Support FAQ for dj3810

Also try holding the power button down and press the paper button 4 times. If it prints a page, pm me the text on that page.
I checked out that and other pages but nothing worked. It says open cover 4 times instead of paper button but still no luck.

At this point I think I am putting more effort into this than it is worth and the next step would be to try with good cartridges if and when I can find them.
 
PM is private message, you can enable it in the User CP. It is a way for people to send messages without blasting over the forum. I may be able to help you more.

After the power-up routine is completed the resume and power LEDs blink simultaneously with a frequency of about 88 blinks/min (1.47/sec). In this state the printer does not respond at all. This is different from what was happening before where the printer would be ready to print but not respond. Now it is not even ready to print and both LEDs flash.

Like Christmas lights? The printer may be defective. How new is it? Also if you get PM's turned on, send me a PM and I can try to work with you via msn or yahoo chat if you like.
 
I don't have MSN or Yahoo. Anyway, it seems like the printer may be defective. I have successfully reset the cartridge levels as per http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp45_15reset.htm but the printer still does not work.

Most of the time, after the power up routine, the resume and power leds flash as mentioned. Ocassionally, after the power up routine the power led remains on and the printer is, apparently, ready to print, but then nothing happens when I try to print either from the computer or a test page.

I'll see if I can find cartridges to test with.
 
Y2K SE said:
I took a quick glance at the support page for that model. It's content for error state reporting on the printer LEDs sucks. Basically, if the power LED flashes, something is wrong. :rolleyes:
I agree and the printer itself does not have any useful self-diagnostics.
Have you tried this? http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/gs/index.aspx?lang=eng&cc=us&lang=en&cc=us Its HP's web-based Diagnostics. It must be new; I've never seen it before. Maybe it'll help diagnose it?
I went there and it just leads to the same pages I have already seen and which are not helpful. The only thing is that it downloads an applet which detects and tells you which model you have. Not useful at all.
 
send me an email at bdh720 at gmail dot com. I want to help you out.
 
sailor said:
I have already seen and which are not helpful. The only thing is that it downloads an applet which detects and tells you which model you have. Not useful at all.
Welp, it seems time to get some test cartridges. :)
 
zoobaby said:
PM is private message, you can enable it in the User CP.
OK, it took me a while to figure it out but I have enabled PM. I am having some difficulties accessing my email so PM might be better.
Like Christmas lights?
Well, I am not sure what that means but, as I said,
During the power-up routine the three LEDs blink sequentially. After the power-up routine is completed the resume and power LEDs blink simultaneously with a frequency of about 88 blinks/min (1.47/sec). In this state the printer does not respond at all.
I do not see the "Toolbox". The tabs under printer properties are: General, Details, Color Management, Sharing, Setup, Features, Advanced. That's it.
 
Back
Top