HP 2711x

Joined
Jan 24, 2012
Messages
2
I have a chance to purchase the HP 2711x at a pretty good price. I wanted to know what your general opinions on this monitor were. In the specs it has a 5 ms response time compared to the Asus VE278q's 2 ms response time. Can anyone tell me if this will make a huge difference when playing PC games such as the Sims 3? Would it be worth the extra $100 or so go to with the Asus? Or is there a better monitor that I haven't mentioned in the $300 price range? The Digital Versus website has a pretty good chart of the responsiveness of the VE278q, but did not have the HP 2711x. Can anyone point me to a similar test done for the HP2711x?
 
Recently purchased an HP2711x (last week). I really like it so far. It reminds me somewhat of the old Sony Trinitron CRTs. Colors are very good...text easy to read. Very minor backlight bleed on edges and bottom, but it's never noticable except on very black background and even then you have to look for it. So not bad IMO.

Gaming and movies are Excellent on this display. It's fast and smooth. I have not seen any ghosting, etc. I have been playing Skyrim, LA Noire, and again, watching some movies. Contrast and blacks are perfect. Overall I really recommend this monitor. I tried a Dell UltraSharp U2412M and am sending it back. The AG coating was too much for me. Thus, I really like the glossy screen on the 2711x. I calibrated the display and am very happy with the results. Colors, contrast, etc. look very similar to the u2412m but without the AG coating.

One thing I like about it as well is the power supply is external. I just had a Dell 2405fwp die on me after 6 years and you cannot find the power unit for sale as a part anywhere. They aren't hard to take apart and replace, but there is just no supply for the part. With the 2711x if your power supply fails you should easily be able to get a new one.

EDIT: I compared the Asus VE278q side-by-side with the 2711x. I prefered the 2711x. The Asus did not seem to have the same color "pop" as the HP. The Asus is a nice display and had I not seen the HP I might have bought one. I think it has to do with the matte finish vs. glossy for me.

Two cons to be aware of:
- No VESA mount (there is a mount for a wall mounted arm however)
- 1 year warranty (purchase of an extended warranty from merchant adds to the overall cost)
 
Last edited:
Regarding response time: There is likely no noticeable difference between 2ms and 5ms. Moreoever, many companies exaggerate their response time specs or use overdrive features to achieve low response times which also create inverse ghosting. The most important thing about response time is that the specs are honest. HP has a good track record of reporting accurate response times. Asus -- not so much. (From my experience, my brother's HP w2408 with a 5ms response time handily beat every other monitor I've tested, including a 2ms Samsung and a 2ms Asus.)

The big difference between the 2711x and the VE278q is the glossy screen on the 2711x. Glossy screens tend to produce better images but are susceptible to glare and reflections. Matte screens don't have this issue but tend to produce inferior images, ceteris paribus. If you are planning to use your monitor in a brightly lit room or one with open windows, a matte screen -- and therefore not the 2711x -- is the obvious choice. Otherwise, consider giving the glossy screened 2711x a try. Not sure what you're paying for it, but I'd consider anything below $250 a steal.
 
Last edited:
The Asus should have a faster response time since it is very fast but in turn it has minor input lag.

Unfortunately there are no reviews for the HP 2711x but I would purchase it over the Asus for the glossy screen.
 
I would go with the HP 2711x for the Glossy display - though if that is not an issue the Asus is a fantastic monitor in its own right - especially the 25 inch version VE258Q.
 
Back
Top