HP 1TB MediaSmart Server EX475 $270 at Newegg

EX470 for $279.99

Only difference is the lack of a 500gig hard drive. Which I have several of around the house.

The coupon still works for 10% off. I believe total cost was $251.

Thanks OP!

Always wanted to try one of these out and $250 is a good price to demo out the system.

$250 is a great price.

nice little project there. you can upgrade CPU and RAM.

Some people say it's difficult to upgrade the CPU and RAM, but having taken apart the machine before, I have to say its one of the easiest upgrades I've done to a machine.

Some people say it's difficult to upgrade the CPU and RAM, but having taken apart the machine before, I have to say its one of the easiest upgrades I've done to a machine.

I don't think I'll be upgrading the CPU, unless I can snag a lower wattage chip for cheap. I am going to upgrade the memory, and I already posted a WTB thread for it.

Yeah, definitely upgrade the memory, it really improves transfer speeds, plus its dirt cheap to do.

Anyway this is a good deal, and I've referred a few friends to get one. They wanted to try out WHS but not for $400-ish.

Great deal.

I just picked up the EX495, but this is a great price. RAM needs an upgrade but AFAIK port replication was enabled on the e-sata.

Great deal.

I just picked up the EX495, but this is a great price. RAM needs an upgrade but AFAIK port replication was enabled on the e-sata.

It is enabled on this model, as well as the latest model you picked up.

It was the 2nd gen of these that didn't support port multipliers.

Thanks OP!

Always wanted to try one of these out and $250 is a good price to demo out the system.

No problem. I bought one for $450 when the first models came out, upgraded the ram, and have been loving it ever since. The PSU fan has always annoyed me (slight hum), but its sitting right next to my monitor. One day I'll install the quiet fan I bought, but I've just been too busy.

The only thing mine is missing is 4x2TB drives.

CPu upgrade is hit or miss, most people report errors and/or overheating even with the specific model of chip that supposedly works in this socket. Others don't have any issues after their upgrade. Stick with the RAM bump and leave it at that.

CPu upgrade is hit or miss, most people report errors and/or overheating even with the specific model of chip that supposedly works in this socket. Others don't have any issues after their upgrade. Stick with the RAM bump and leave it at that.

I upgraded to a 35w single core CPU and it worked for about six months but the CPU eventually got cooked. I then discovered that the OE cpu has a lower tdp and a higher thermal max. Went back to the original. The 2GB upgrade made for most of the performance increase anyway.

anyone know if this does Time Machine backups? I know the new models do.

Supposedly you will be able to upgrade the software, but it has not been released yet. You can save a mac backup on a WHS shared drive, but it does not support time machine w/out the unreleased update.

Correct me if I'm wrong though... I don't own an apple.

only $28 off the EX470...in for one. WTF, saves me the hassle trying to piece together parts.

hm, not bad. I may pick one up. I've been running an HP D530 ultra slim PC for the past 4-5 years, a p4 1.8ghz, about 40watts.... not bad for a home server...but i need a machine that has gigabit network, so this may fit the bill..

only $28 off the EX470...in for one. WTF, saves me the hassle trying to piece together parts.

Yeah, for me it pays for CA Tax and a bit more. I wonder if we send newegg an e-mail, maybe they can give us the extra $2 or fix the coupon..

This is definitely tempting. I'm thinking about getting one and replacing the ram to 2GB and drive to some 1 TBs.

Back