HowTo upgrade from XP HE to XP Pro without loosing my programs documents and emails

Xcom_Cheetah

Limp Gawd
As Windows XP HE doesn;t support quite a few developer things like IIS server i want to move to XP Professional edition. But i have quite a few things programs and settings and emails and all sorts of other things in my Windows and i don;t want to do a fresh installation. So if i just install Professional Edition over Home Edition will it be ok..? Has anybody done it..? what are the chances of failure.? and any guide available ..

Thanks

In the past when I've Reinstalled Windows over another Windows XP install, I couldnt access the old user accounts and basically it was like starting over. If you have the upgrade edition, I think that might work. If not, I would strongly recommend you backup everything you deem important and then give it a try, hope this helps a lil.

If you do the upgrade option and not the clean install you should be ok...

A long time ago (3 years back, freshman year of college) I installed XP Pro over XP home on my notebook. I was also dumb and installed over ME on my desktop at the time. :rolleyes:

But all in all, everything went off without a hitch. I just chose upgrade install, not clean install, and went through all the general stuff like program compatibility checking and such. In the end, I still had everything, documents, programs, etc.

So I've done it twice and it worked twice.

Hope that helps.

Thank all of u for ur help... i will be taking the risk on this weekend. will let u know the result

Xcom_Cheetah said:
Thank all of u for ur help... i will be taking the risk on this weekend. will let u know the result

Just do the upgrade install. Then there will be no risk.

Back