HOWTO: Convert HD-DVD to MKV for archiving

I know the topic's a little old, but I found it pretty helpful.

Just as an alternative you may want to know about, you can also feed the muxed M2TS file into handbrake for encoding also. I have not demuxed an HD DVD and then remuxed it into an M2TS file, but it worked from my blu ray Planet Earth test rip. I have never used RipBot and because I didn't want to screw with my codec setup, so I went to handbrake. I converted to an .mkv file to keep the original Dolby Digital (AC3) audio, and it works perfectly, audio and all.

There are some other blu ray ripping/trancoding guides that are also excellent like sabergen's that you may want to read.

AVSFoum guide - This is significantly more complicated but seems to offer more flexibility than RipBot.
Doom9 Guide - This covers just the decrypting/playback but you can read it also.

thanks for your work Sabergen
-darkmatter08

Is this really the only way to convert HD DVD into MKV? I read elsewhere that you can use AnyDVD HD to rip the ISO, ridding the copyright protection, then use MakeMKV beta to convert the ISO into an MKV file, but I can't get it to work. Has anyone been successful with MakeMKV and HD DVDs yet?

You can use anydvd hd to rip to hard drive, then tsmuxer to join the features into a single file, then use ripbot to shrink the file. The first two steps take about a half hour. Ripbot can take up to 12hrs even with a quad core and 4gb ram depending on the settings.

This thread is old and I do not support this method any longer.
When we made this, it was really the only option.

I always use AnyDVD to rip to Folders, and then to MakeMKV.
However I have not tried this method with HD-DVD's, I know it works for BluRays.

NOTE: This method will not produce HD quality Audio....it will downmix everything to 5.1.
If you want 7.1 HD Audio you must manually demux select streams, and remux them together.

However I have not tried this method with HD-DVD's, I know it works for BluRays.

NOTE: This method will not produce HD quality Audio....it will downmix everything to 5.1.
If you want 7.1 HD Audio you must manually demux select streams, and remux them together.

I know I chose the losing format, but some of us have sure snagged some killer deals on HD movies. I just want to know what the most current/best way to backup your movies is right now. I have read that some are using MakeMKV just fine, but I just can't get it to work.

@SirKronan

Right now the only thing that I know that will work for sure is to get:

Eac3to
HdBrExtractGui(notsure on spelling) - its a front end for Eac3to
MKVToolNix

eac3to/hdbrextragui - this will let you extrac the streams you need. I always choose video with output set to MKV, and Audio I extract to 8 channel FLAC....but you can choose whatever you like.
Then open up MKVMerge...mmg.exe inside the mkvtoolnix folder, and you imput the two files you just extracted into this and it will mux them together.

@SirKronan

Right now the only thing that I know that will work for sure is to get:

Eac3to
HdBrExtractGui(notsure on spelling) - its a front end for Eac3to
MKVToolNix

eac3to/hdbrextragui - this will let you extrac the streams you need. I always choose video with output set to MKV, and Audio I extract to 8 channel FLAC....but you can choose whatever you like.
Then open up MKVMerge...mmg.exe inside the mkvtoolnix folder, and you imput the two files you just extracted into this and it will mux them together.

Okay, I'm trying to do what you say, but I have no idea how. Do I put the ISOs in the eac3to directory? This seems out of my league ... :confused:

I've extracted the ISO's successfully with AnyDVD HD. I haven't mounted them yet, but assuming I can mount them with Daemon or something, do I have to do that in order to use the programs you listed above? There's gotta be a better way to do all this. All I want to do is legally backup my movies. I mean, it's not like the discs will last forever. Once I go blu ray I'm sure it will work just fine as there are plenty out there with blu-rays now. Thanks for the help so far.

Okay, I'm trying to do what you say, but I have no idea how. Do I put the ISOs in the eac3to directory? This seems out of my league ... :confused:

I've extracted the ISO's successfully with AnyDVD HD. I haven't mounted them yet, but assuming I can mount them with Daemon or something, do I have to do that in order to use the programs you listed above? There's gotta be a better way to do all this. All I want to do is legally backup my movies. I mean, it's not like the discs will last forever. Once I go blu ray I'm sure it will work just fine as there are plenty out there with blu-rays now. Thanks for the help so far.

Yes mount the ISO you have.
Or next time rip to folder instead of ISO.

EAC3to cannot read an image so it must be mounted in daemon tools so it sees a disc, or you can point it to folder structure

You can use anydvd hd to rip to hard drive, then tsmuxer to join the features into a single file, then use ripbot to shrink the file. The first two steps take about a half hour. Ripbot can take up to 12hrs even with a quad core and 4gb ram depending on the settings.

I use this for hddvd's as well. Ripbot will downmix the audio.

I think you still have to use EVODemuxer for HD DVD, or at least, I have found it to be the simplesy way (other programs may support them though). After the .m2ts is done from TSMuxerGUI, I use MeGUI to encode to a .mkv. I lot more involved, but way better quality and control than Ripbot, which is still a good program if you only want the nitty gritty.

wow.. this process looks involved.. but I want to get all of my HD DVDs ripped and moved to my drobo for use on WD TV... looks like I have some work ahead of me. Is there any updated consolidated version? I can live with downmixed 5.1 audio.. just used AnyDVD HD with makeMKV? or Ripbot? 12 hours to rip.. whew.

wow.. this process looks involved.. but I want to get all of my HD DVDs ripped and moved to my drobo for use on WD TV... looks like I have some work ahead of me. Is there any updated consolidated version? I can live with downmixed 5.1 audio.. just used AnyDVD HD with makeMKV? or Ripbot? 12 hours to rip.. whew.

read the rest of this thread....particularly this page

By the way,i want to burn my mkv files to dvd.I have tried WinAVI and ConverXtoDVD before,any other better program can do a favor for me without a loss of quality.Thank in advance.:)

By the way,i want to burn my mkv files to dvd.I have tried WinAVI and ConverXtoDVD before,any other better program can do a favor for me without a loss of quality.Thank in advance.:)

you're trying to convert the single .MKV file to a DVD structure for playback on a non-computer DVD player, is that right?

you're trying to convert the single .MKV file to a DVD structure for playback on a non-computer DVD player, is that right?

The latest update of DVDFab continues to work well with all my HD DVDs, and it works well with all the new blurays I've tested so far. It's evolved a lot since bluray has started to become more popular. But I still use it when I need to backup an HD DVD.

Back