How's this HDTV for X360/PS3?

rcf1987 said:
No it will only go to 1080i and its only a 4:3 tv get a 16:9

Listen to this man. Do not get a 4:3 tv. You will regret it. Nothing beats gaming on a good widescreen.

It looks 4:3, but the specs say otherwise. This is the newer model Slimfit, and they don't make those 4:3, so I'm pretty sure it is 16:9.

I have the older model Slimfit, and, aside from some slight geometry problems (not even noticable while playing games), it looks awesome! 2 HDMI inputs willl never serve you wrong, it's a very future safe TV. HD cable looks stunning on the set!

EDIT: the top specs say 16:9, but the specs on the bottom say 4:3...hmm....whatever the case, dont get a 4:3 TV

No it's widescreen. Did anyone look at the image? LOL and the title says widescreen too.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that I saw this model at the store and YES, it is widescreen.

I also own a slim fit. no geometry probs. but there is a slight hot spot in the upper right. unpluggin (deguassing) fixes it for while. I really love this tv, especially for the price. just make sure u check it out in your home before settling in with it.

IMG_2867.jpg

I dont have the link handy but I suggest you head to team xbox's website and read up on the whole 1080p craze. The kicked with it in its current form is that yes the TV''s do display 1080p but they upscale the broadcast to it. They currently dont accept a 1080p input signal from the likes of HD-DVD and when it finally comes out Blu-Ray. They are coming out and may be out actually. I think HP, Mitsu, and Samsung and probally others are coming out with them very shortly.And like someone else said in todays age its not wise to get any new tv in 4:3 AR when HD is a 16:9 AR by its standard.

Trying to get in on the $300 off deal at BB? It looks good if you can get it in store.

sets that are 1080p native need not scale output from BR and HDDVD (which i hope dies) and same goes for output from consoles that are 1080p. this slimfit does not have a native resolution as i remember. it can accept 720p and 1080i though (with internal scaling)

360 = 720p/1080i
PS3 = 720p/1080i/1080p

Buy a 16:9, HDMI supported HDTV that supports whatever you can afford. 1080p will probably 'rarely' be used on the PS3.

phatfong said:
I think all HDTVs are 16:9, it's part of being HD.

Nope, I have a 36" Sony CRT HDTV, 4:3 aspect ratio. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It's picture tops that of any plasma, lcd, or projection set on the market. I can watch 4:3 content in it's native aspect ratio, and I can watch HD/widescreen content in its native aspect ratio as well. When viewing widescreen content the TV is comparable to a 33" set, or essentially of one Sony's widescreen HDTV sets (which are 34" I believe).

^^Zero's right. They made a bunch of 4:3 HDTV's in the beginning. No one makes them anymore, but some stores still get "new" ones in due to manufacturers cleaning out the warehouses.

The 4:3 HDTV's will squash the image to fit, or simply add the black bars on the top and bottom.

@DruSi3r: yep, that's the one I have. I think it's a DAMN good TV with a great picture, and excellent cosmetic appeal.

DruSi3r said:
sets that are 1080p native need not scale output from BR and HDDVD (which i hope dies) and same goes for output from consoles that are 1080p. this slimfit does not have a native resolution as i remember. it can accept 720p and 1080i though (with internal scaling)

It says its 720 native, but then in the description its says it has a 1920x1080 pixels; so who knows :confused:

Also 1080i/p doesn't look much different than 720p until you get to the big screens(50"+).

zero002021 said:
Nope, I have a 36" Sony CRT HDTV, 4:3 aspect ratio. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It's picture tops that of any plasma, lcd, or projection set on the market. I can watch 4:3 content in it's native aspect ratio, and I can watch HD/widescreen content in its native aspect ratio as well. When viewing widescreen content the TV is comparable to a 33" set, or essentially of one Sony's widescreen HDTV sets (which are 34" I believe).

Your lucky zero.. My Brother also has a 32'' toshiba CRT HDTV (4:3) - Massive CRT screens are still far superiror in most cases.. Though they sometimes have problems with certain resolutions. (The 32'' was only 480p/1080i its like 5 years old now).

What really sucks is, its being used as a monitor and when the the thing dies (sometime this year), he can't trade in to get an equal Tv.....Becuase barely any CRT that are hd are 4:3 anymore... especially at that size.

I have an LG 30" Slimfit HD-TV. It uses the same tube. Most TV's by different brands use the same tubes or LCD screens etc and just dress them up in different cases, add different connections, use their own software, etc.

Anyways, I know mine is great for the most part. My only gripe is that the resolution is lower towards the outer left and right edges of the screen. It's been explained to me that for the particle beam in the CRT to cover a wide enough angle for 16:9 aspect ratio, and still have a shallow tube, it was necessary to not have as many pixels on the edges for it to have to hit accurately. It still looks great though. Tweak your settings right and you barely notice. I know on the LG model, turning off Velocity Modulation (VM) helps that immensely, and you only really notice it with text on the edge of the screen.

Back