Hows This for Starters?

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
$175.00 CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "SA5900X" -RETAIL

I putting this in a K8V Deluxe SE with a 3200+ 64 AMD.
How do you think my computer will be with gaming on games like doom3, far cry, battlefield, ETC? Pretty good?
I like frame rates above 50FPS.
I'm asking all of you because I could how out for 2 more weeks and get the 6800U or something but I'm going crazy waiting. hehe.
Thanks all, have a wonderful night! :)

First off, that motherboard ranks slightly above shit. GET RID OF IT! Buy the chaintech nVidia nForce 3 250 motherboard for cheaper, and better options. K8V motherboard won't let you OC very far without ruining the data on the HD.

With the money you'll save by buying the Chaintech mobo, buy the Radeon 9800 pro 128MB or 256MB. Superior speed to the FX series, superior image quality.

Unit-0 said:
First off, that motherboard ranks slightly above shit. GET RID OF IT! Buy the chaintech nVidia nForce 3 250 motherboard for cheaper, and better options. K8V motherboard won't let you OC very far without ruining the data on the HD.

With the money you'll save by buying the Chaintech mobo, buy the Radeon 9800 pro 128MB or 256MB. Superior speed to the FX series, superior image quality.
I didn't plan on OCing anything but the Vid Card.
I got the board for free so it has to do for now.
I read a few reviews and it showed the 5900 beating the 9800's...anyone else confirm this?
Thanks!

also, chaintech in my experience is very low on the qulity side of things, ever wonder how they manged to bundle all that crap, and still beat the compatition on the price for a board?

They removed the expensive stuff on their cheap high end offering like built-in Firewall and Gigabit LAN. $88 buck at Newegg for the cheap version and $165 for the expensive.

5900xt is a good card, but personally I'd get a 9800pro for 20-30$ more. Plus, like others have said Chaintech isn't exactly great quality.

coffee33 said:
I read a few reviews and it showed the 5900 beating the 9800's...anyone else confirm this?
Thanks!

Having owned both cards up until 3 weeks ago, I can tell you the 9800pro is faster in all newer games I play (@1280x1040, with as much AA and AF as I can get). As for older games, I have a hard time telling the difference between 300fps and 350fps so I never looked at speeds on those. But I liked having the 5900 because I play a number of older games (like System Shock 2) the the ATi cards have unresloved bugs with (too old to bother fixing, I suppose).

I would personally choose the 9800pro in that price range if I could have only one card.

Back