How's this for my first overclock?

blankwire

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
2,178
I really wasn't planning on overclocking this system, but I was curious to see how far I could get.



My 3dMark score with everything at stock was 7507. With the CPU overclocked, it was 7655, a ~150 increase.

With the CPU and graphics card overclocked, I got 8042.



I'm pretty sure I can go higher (and decrease the voltage), but I don't have the time to play with it now.

Right now, I'm 38C idle, and around 50C on load. The graphics card runs a bit hotter idle, but I'm not too worried.
 
hmmm thats not bad... whats your ram at? I would watch those temperatures too... do you just have a stock cooler?
 
sumofatguy said:
hmmm thats not bad... whats your ram at? I would watch those temperatures too... do you just have a stock cooler?
I'm using a divider, but I can't remember the exact speed - posting from school. I plan on upgrading the memory when I get some more funds, so I might spring for a better CPU heatsink. Everything's at stock. :(
 
B. W. said:
I'm using a divider, but I can't remember the exact speed - posting from school). I plan on upgrading the memory when I get some more funds, so I might spring for a better CPU heatsink. Everything's at stock. :(

yeah thats pretty much what I'm at... I have an opteron 146, so it oc's super well, but i only have kingston valueram, so i have to run it at 2/3 divider :(.... its not actually too bad, but you definitely loose a bit of performance using a divider. I just dont know if the little extra amount of performance is worth the $120+ to get good ram though
 
Here's an update.

I'm running a 5/6 devider on my ram.

In my first post, I was using 1.49v (1.536v in the BIOS) for the CPU. I took it down to 1.39v (atleast that's what SpeedFan and CPU-Z are telling me), and I'm using SuperPi as I type this to see if it's stable.

The temps are down to 47C at load. :) I love the fact that I saved ~$600 for something that's just as good.

Anyway, is there a way I can check the tempature of my video card during 3dMark?
 
rivatuner has a logger in it that you can leave runnin in the background will also do a cpu temp and ambient temps, its in the top section of rivatuner and has a picture of a lil chip with a magnifying glass over it.
 
Back
Top