How's the stock HSF on X2?

kmeson

Limp Gawd
FedEx delivered my 4800+. Opening the box I was suprised to see such nice looking and large HSF. Does anyone know how well the stock cooler performs? I want cool temps, and quiet operation. My plan was to use a (nearly) year old Zalman 7000A-Cu, it's quiet and seems to cool pretty good (atleast on a P4C 3.4ghz).

i'm pretty sure it's the same one used for the fx-55 and higher. it's quality stuff, heatpipes and all :D

here's an idea though:

try both, write down idle, load, and ambient temps for both heatsinks at stocks speeds and get back to us so that people know how good that stock heatsink really is, and you'll have answered your own question :p

If its the heatink like my FX-55, In the bios it reports 38-39c nights and days 40-41c with AS5..

This is what comes with the X2
epsn00048cv.jpg

Ended up using the stock HSF for two reasons.

The Zalman 7000A-Cu does not contact the entire surface area of the chip, while the stock unit does. The Zalman contact patch leaves about 2-3mm of the chip overhanging the HSF. Some might argue that this does not matter but I figure the more surface area in contact the better.

Secondly mounting required removing the A8N-SLI Premium back plate. Not a big deal but once removed you'll notice 2 ceramic capacitors which were squished by the back plate. Asus' back plate has a rubber buffer with some sticky. Fortunately I didn't rip the caps off by accident. My Zalman back plate has no such rubber buffer, it's hard cardboard.

Temps are a bit high, around 44c no load. Running two copies of Prime95 the temps max out at 53c. Just so you know, I've enable AMD cool-n-quiet and Asus' Q-Fan. CnQ probably doesn't change temps on max load but I suspect Q-Fan does. Fan speed hovered around 3.3k, which is hardly audible. The max fan speed is around 6k, IIRC.

C'n'Q will only drop the multi and voltage of the CPU when it's idle. It does nothing to make it cooler when in use.

Did some more testing. Turning off Q-Fan results in an extremely loud HSF with temps dropping by 5c in both no-load and max-load. The max RPM appears to be ~5400 and sounds pretty darn bad. Although compared to the Delta I used on my old 1.33ghz Athlon it's a kitten. :D

K.

Back