Hows my timings look?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
4,834
At the moment I'm at 12x183 1.675, I have my HyperX 3500 running at 1:1 I my timings are 7,2,2,2 I put it at 11 once and I had to reset my CMOS so not about to do that again. But Hows this look?
 
Originally posted by mewannafastpc
if it runs faster than it looks good, but if it runs faster but not as stable then it looks bad

Thanks. Anyone know much about HyperX last time I got it to 195 it got unstable. I would like to go push it to 200fsb
 
you are not running at the rated speeds of your ram so i wouldn't say that the ram is unstable it maybe your cpu
 
Originally posted by mewannafastpc
you are not running at the rated speeds of your ram so i wouldn't say that the ram is unstable it maybe your cpu

Wouldn't running my ram at 2-3-3-7 lower performance?
 
arent your rated timings 2-2-2-7?
and by rated speed i meant frequency. you aren't running at 213mhz fsb so i don't think that your memory would be topped out yet because your memory is rated to run at 433mhz
 
What do these timings stand for, I've always seen people use them with no explanation. (Googles)... In the meanwhile I want an explanation!.
 
I'm confused now I suppose. This is off of Kingstons website. So if I go back to 2,3,3,7 I will be able to run my fsb higher? And by this I would be getting around 206fsb? I'm confused now. I am running my ram at 2,2,2,7 2.8v so wouldn't I be better off running at 2222 for performance or how high you think I could get my fsb this way vs. 2,3,3,7? You think I should lower it's voltage too?

Kingstons website.
Specifications:
434MHz 184-pin Unbuffered DIMM
(SDRAM-DDR, 2.6V, CL2, Gold)
Timing for this part: 2-3-3-7-1.
 
i thought you had BH-5 chips on your kingston, but if you checked the kingston website and they said that your rated timings are 2-3-3-7 then i wouldn't go under that it'll make your ram unstable. and try lowering the voltage too, only overvolt if you are overclocking.
 
Originally posted by mewannafastpc
i thought you had BH-5 chips on your kingston, but if you checked the kingston website and they said that your rated timings are 2-3-3-7 then i wouldn't go under that it'll make your ram unstable. and try lowering the voltage too, only overvolt if you are overclocking.

I am overclocking though. My ram really doesn't seem unstable at all actually why do people say to change ram to 2,2,2,7 then? With this ram what should my max fsb be around?
 
Originally posted by Glow
I am overclocking though. My ram really doesn't seem unstable at all actually why do people say to change ram to 2,2,2,7 then? With this ram what should my max fsb be around?

but are you clocking the ram over what it's rated for?
i think you are only overclocking your cpu.
because your fsb is at only 183 raw, and your ram can handle 217 raw fsb.

and changing the timings tigher will reduce latency which will increase your performance, but i only recommend this if you are underclocking your ram alot, which i think you are doing, but if you want to get the fsb higher relax the timings back to 2-3-3-7, and you'll be able to get more fsb out of it
 
Overclocking my cpu yes, I'm at 184 but since my ram is at 184 to isn't that 1:1? So how would do this exaclty you said 217 so should I do 11-12X 217 for my cpu too? I'm confused here but obviously I would do this at 2,3,3,7. I always thought running at 2,2,2,7 ment more performance?
 
im sorry if im making this confusing but yes 2-2-2-7 would mean faster performance, but that is only for chips that are designed for such tight timings, i think yours is unstable so don't run it at that anymore, and unless you're running 217 fsb you're not overclocking your ram yet
 
So I'm hearing 2,2,2,7 is unstable but it means it's unstable wouldn't that say the same for an OCed processor? Feels faster at this speed I don't notice any problems. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should max my fsb at? Or should I keep it where it is since it's stable then OC my ram? keep it at 12x184 and then instead of 184mhz on my ram go to what? I don't know whats the normal max I should go to?
 
oced procs can be stable up to a certain point. same goes for the ram it can only handle such tight timings, but from what i read earlier i thought you said that your ram was unstable at 2-2-2-7 so i recommended you to back off to 2-3-3-7, but now you said that you aren't seeing any probs then keep it at that. but if you clock your fsb any further im pretty sure your ram would be come unstable, unless you use a fsb/ram divider.
you can try to push your ram further see where it'll go until it's unstable and then use a divider like 5/4 to push the fsb and clock your cpu until you get to the point where you got to the highest clock your ram will handle with those timings, or the cpu won't handle anymore fsb then decrease the multiplier, then i think you'll be set
i hope this clears any confusion
:)
 
Originally posted by mewannafastpc
im sorry if im making this confusing but yes 2-2-2-7 would mean faster performance, but that is only for chips that are designed for such tight timings, i think yours is unstable so don't run it at that anymore, and unless you're running 217 fsb you're not overclocking your ram yet

I don't agree. If the RAM can take it and be stable, then use tighter timings.

The timings, 2 2 2 7, are how often the RAM 'refreshes', in a sence. By lowering the first three numbers, you make it refresh faster. The last number is slightly differnt. Lower is generally better for it, but for some reason, NForce2 mainboards like 11 better. There is apparently a bug in the chipset design.

I have some RAM that is being overclocked quite a bit. I have the voltage up, as well. This RAM is crap. I have it running 2.5 3 3 11 at 200 fsb, which is under it's rated timings (3 4 4 9) and way over it's rated speed. It does just fine. In fact, it gets some outstanding benchmarks, and I'm quite pleased with it. I had this RAM running 2 2 2 11 at it's rated speed, as well. ;) They are mis-matched, brand wise, and running in dual channell.
 
I umderstand that say 12x192 basically 2300MHZ with my ram running at 1:1 would what would my ram be at 5:4? I don't understand that.
 
Originally posted by Glow
I umderstand that say 12x192 basically 2300MHZ with my ram running at 1:1 would what would my ram be at 5:4? I don't understand that.

If your FSB is 192, running at 5:4 would have your RAM running at 83% of 192 mhz, or 153 mhz. Running a divider on your RAM doen't effect your CPU speed. ;)
 
last time I got it to 195 it got unstable.

he just said it was unstable, thats why i told him to back it off a bit

and i did say that if he underclocked his ram he can use tigher timings
 
well right now my timings seem fine everything is stable When I go higher I'll relax my timings but for the most part everyone agree to run this ram at 2.8v?
 
sure, i don't think it'll hurt anything, i've heard that ram can take voltages pretty easily, but i think you should only overvolt the ram if you overclock the ram. but that's me
take my ram for instance is rated at 333mhz but it's running at 400mhz right now at 2.65 rather than the recommended 2.55volts.
 
Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
I don't agree. If the RAM can take it and be stable, then use tighter timings.

The timings, 2 2 2 7, are how often the RAM 'refreshes', in a sence. By lowering the first three numbers, you make it refresh faster. The last number is slightly differnt. Lower is generally better for it, but for some reason, NForce2 mainboards like 11 better. There is apparently a bug in the chipset design.

I have some RAM that is being overclocked quite a bit. I have the voltage up, as well. This RAM is crap. I have it running 2.5 3 3 11 at 200 fsb, which is under it's rated timings (3 4 4 9) and way over it's rated speed. It does just fine. In fact, it gets some outstanding benchmarks, and I'm quite pleased with it. I had this RAM running 2 2 2 11 at it's rated speed, as well. ;) They are mis-matched, brand wise, and running in dual channell.
2.5 3 3 (7)<<if i change that to 11 will it make it run better
 
I find my ram doesn't like running at 11, I don't know why but I have to reset my cmos when I change it.
 
Originally posted by Glow
I find my ram doesn't like running at 11, I don't know why but I have to reset my cmos when I change it.

What board is this on? If you have an NForce2, you might want to see if you can get it there. If you have a VIA, SIS, or AMD chipset, 7 would probably be better. :p
 
I have an nforce2 board but last time I set it to 11 I had to reset my CMOS but now it's at 7
 
Originally posted by FPS
2.5 3 3 (7)<<if i change that to 11 will it make it run better

It depends on the board. AMD boards using NForce2 will get better performance with 11, but that isn't a guarentee.

I have an nforce2 board but last time I set it to 11 I had to reset my CMOS but now it's at 7

Perhaps your RAM doesn't like 11? Who knows.
 
Back
Top