How's my EVGA 8800GTS 320mb with current games?

Gundam

Weaksauce
I bought this card awhile back for my C2D E4300 rig. However, I went over a year without touching my computer since I was primarily using my Macbook. Now I'm back in the PC game and recently upgraded my CPU to a C2D e8400 and mobo to a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. I still have my EVGA 8800GTS 320mb and I was wondering how well it handles games. I'm kind of in a money pinch right now and was wondering if this card is decent enough for the next year or so. I don't expect to get awesome framerates in Crysis or anything.

Depends on how "NEW" you want to get but my GTS 640 played COD4 at 1680x1050 at probably "medium" settings (i adjusted them to suit myself, but I'd say I was around the middle) with a pretty strong overclock. Depending on what you can live with for resolution and detail levels you'll be ok with some newer games, overclocking it will help. Anything source engine based should be no problem (I get over 180FPS in CS:S with everything maxed, L4D I had to roll back the AA/AF to 8x IIRC to get around 40 in intense scenes). While its not the latest and greatest the 8800s are still pretty strong performers.

Would it be worth picking up a used 320mb 8800gts and run them in SLI?

EP45-DS3R is crossfire only isn't it? Assuming you want to overclock you'd want a 780i or 790i board to go SLI, which would probably be more than it was worth to get a second 320 going.

The 320 is a pretty decent card. From all the reviews that I have read, it seems as though the 320MB Frame Buffer would cripple you at high resolutions 19x12 and above. But for a monitor that sits at 1280x1024, 16x12, 16x10 and others, it seems to do a decent job. But the 8800GTS 320 was supplanted by the 8800GTS 512 which blew it away.

If your mainboard was SLI capable, I would def say yes to pick up another used to get another year out of it. But since you have a crossfire mainboard, you can only do one Nvidia card. I love my 8800 GTX's in SLI. I am not upgrading until next year, as I would have to swap out my mainboard, processor and ram. Windows 7/DX 11 is going to be out late this year on early next year with more graphics goodies. I have been diggin Vista as a gaming platform too. It runs very nicely on my old but trusty AMD FX-60.

I would def look into an ATI solution. The 4850 is going for around $144 dollars on pricewatch.com. That card will easily blow past the 8800 320mb card. Then in 6 months time, crossfire that bad bay when the prices go down further. My uncle in North Carolina built his new computer and put 4870/512MB in crossfire. I had my install disk for World in Conflict, loaded it up, DL the new drivers for ATI and tweaked out his rig a bit. I was really amazed at what those cards did. It felt much smoother then my 8800 GTX's in SLI.

So just be smart in what you choose. Look at all your options in front of you and make a decision that will be best for YOU and your hardware.

Back