• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How's my E8400 oc doing?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
492
We've just oc'ed my E8400 and it seems to run relatively stable currently. Its at 4.122Ghz (458 x 9) with 1.25 volts. I get 54C max with Intel Burn test. I was able to run the intel burn test for over 1/2 hour and then my pc got a black screen. Would this be considered stable? Also, how are these oc's looking?

EDIT: Well at those settings even after the 30 mins of intel burn test, my pc just randomly black screened and rebooted (after about 4 hours of idle) so I'm running at 4.050Ghz (450 x 9) until we sort this out.
 
yea your gonna need to pump up the voltage a little ,just remember not to go over 1.45v or you'll fry it
 
It looks like most are going up to just over 4.1 with their cpu voltage around 1.4 volts. You still have to get your stable at 4.1, I would get it sable at 4.1 before I try to go higher. You did not say what you are using to cool the cpu, that can make a different on your overclock and keep a eye on the cpu temps, they are going to start to climb now that you are raising the cpu voltage.
 
Sound like you have plenty of cooling. Now it time to turn up the voltage and the overclock.:D
 
Well I just double checked and my voltage was actually set to 1.25 instead of 1.255. I set it back to 1.255 and everything seems to be stable. How many passes of intel burn test would be considered stable?
 
I'd test for 3D stability actually. CPU stress tests don't test for simultaneous GPU loads unfortunately. I imagine 3D stable may (or may not) require a bit of a bump in NB voltage. Otherwise, if you're already passing Intel Burn Tests, I think you're doing pretty well.

And looks like you're not making the more common noobie mistake of pumping FSB VTT voltage - keep up the good work :D
 
Well I've ran furmark for a few minutes and played over an hour of crysis on just about all very high. No problems so far. Also I'm not the master mind behind this overclock, my brother and his friend are doing most of the work and I'm learning a lot by sticking around them. Gotta learn somewhere.:p
 
I don't want to pull a high school math teacher line, but I think I might:
Overclocking is not a spectator sport.

If you haven't already, start taking notes. From this thread, online, and most importantly, the notes that your brother/friend have been keeping. An OCer, without notes to establish a baseline, is flying in the dark :(
 
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not just sitting down and watching. I've previously read plenty of guides and info explaining the whole process of overclocking. I've been even making suggestions for some of the settings for this oc. I'm doing as much as I really can right now. Once i get my old pc up and running I'm going to start messing around with that and seeing what kind of oc's i can get out of it just for the hell of it.
 
Get some Dryce/LN2 and oc it to 6GHZ and come back and post a screenshot...otherwise not bad for first oc...congrats...but theres still much more headroom for more performance.
 
Well it looks like i was wrong. After running Prime95 for about 4 hours it seemed to reboot my pc. I'm running 4.050ghz (450 x 9) at 1.255v. The thing is, I passed about 15 mins of intel burn test and I never have any problems in use besides stress tests.
 
Thats why you have to stress test and torture your test your oc with a wide range of programs and tools. Just because OCCT or Intel Burn test mentions theres no problems and instability doesn't mean it is stable and will get a 100% guarrentee success out of the other torture programs.
 
Yeah I thought my voltage was a bit low. Do you guys think I could hit 4.4ghz?

All day long but probably not with 1.25v, my e8400 same case as you but with a ZeroTherm Nirvana HSF does 1.32v in bios for a 4GHz and 4.4@1.4v max was 4.5@1.45v rock solid but I'm not truly comfortable with the voltage being that high so I just use 1.32v for 4GHz 24/7

Well it looks like i was wrong. After running Prime95 for about 4 hours it seemed to reboot my pc. I'm running 4.050ghz (450 x 9) at 1.255v. The thing is, I passed about 15 mins of intel burn test and I never have any problems in use besides stress tests.

1.25x sounds like it would be great if stable, but from your posts I don't think you are, I would definitely try raising the vcore to 1.3/1.32v for 4GHz testing for stablity and working your way done from there. Also keep in mind all chips are not created equal.
 
4Ghz+ on less than 1.3v is pretty darn good nn45. I'm pretty comfortable pushing up to 1.4v with a good aircooler like you have. You seem like a likely candidate for 4.2 maybe 4.3Ghz
 
If it reboots - ever - that's not a good sign. A reboot means you'll get treated to a BSOD sooner or later, and hopefully sooner so you're not lulled into a false sense of security.

P95 is the least strenuous of stress-testing programs these days, so if it's rebooting in that you still have work to do. I remember running P95 for over 18hrs back with my XP-M but only found out later that it was NOT 3D stable during a LAN haha. Bottom line - if it's crashing in P95, you're probably still looking at a couple bumps in vcore.
 
What is the intel burn test? What is it used for? Testing to see if the overclocked CPU is stable?
 
^ Yes, it's a shorter (much shorter) way of testing for stability, as opposed to prime95/orthos. It is however, very very stressful and heats things up bigtime.
 
I have a similar system setup,
E8400 E0
Asus P5Q Pro
2x2GB Gskill PI Black DDR2 800
Currently the only thing holding back the OC is the RAM.

System Runs stable 30loop LinPack Stable @ 4.320 (480FSB*9) on 1.325V NB upped to 1.26V higher than that the RAM starts failing memtest. have 2x1GB CellShock DDR2 1100 being shipped from Ireland. Will update when that arrives. System hits about 55-60C under linpack, but I need to Lap my True, and waiting for my new fan for it, currently using my Tuniq's original fan( the shitty one it originally shipped with). Just received my MX-2 from Petra's so that should help, will compare it to IC-7 on it.

The New E0 E8400's will easily go to 3.6-3.9+ on stock volts, hoping to get mine up to near 5Ghz on air, can get the system to boot @ 4.7+ but the Ram causes it to fail.

Intel rates the E8400's @ 1.36V max, the originals from what I've read will take upto 1.45v daily with good cooling not sure about the degradation. I'd keep it under 1.4V for daily use with your cooling setup though. There isn't enough data on the E0 stepping for max voltage for daily use to give a better idea.
 
Back
Top