How's gaming + FRAPS (video capture) with an X2?

tpizarro

n00b
Video capturing gameplay using FRAPS makes gameplay very choppy/unplayable using a single core chip. Now this should be a whole different story using a dual core chip such as an X2, right? I'm in the middle of putting together my X2 rig and was just curious about it.

My specs:
4400 X2
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Ballistix 2x512 MB PC3200
BFG 7800 GT
WD Raptor 74 GB
Antec Neopower 480W
Antec P180

should work just stick fraps over on the other core (core1) and it should be ok i have yet to try it my self

tpizarro said:
Video capturing gameplay using FRAPS makes gameplay very choppy/unplayable using a single core chip. Now this should be a whole different story using a dual core chip such as an X2, right? I'm in the middle of putting together my X2 rig and was just curious about it.

It works great. I can record at 60 fps with hardly a hiccup in Far Cry.

when you have the game running open task manager and right click on the games "exe" file.
then you can set the affinity to processor 1 (because 0 is more likely used by windows and other processes anyways)

then run fraps and once again in task manager right click on it but set fraps affinity, but to 0. fraps is not as intense as the game itself so its better for it rather than the game itself to share with the other rubbish u have running (such as most of windows) :)

think is with fraps is that it relies on the hard drive as well, so if you have disk swapping happening because of not enough ram, you may as well forget it anyways.

i have done a few FRAP movies myself, (for example "tnt" bf1942 stunt movie) and hyperthreading really helped (20-25 fps), i can imagine that a real DUALLY X2 would be even better

another thing is if you have a RCA video out just record it and it will be full FPS and you can edit as you please.

1. ctrl+alt+del (or taskmanager)
2. Proccess tab
3. Right click proccess you want to mess with
4. CLick Set Affinity
5. Check the boxes according to which CPUs to run through

Although windows by default *should* load balance each to seperate cores

Back