How's Avast 6 compares to MSE?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
How does this co. survive by giving anti-virus free? And how is it compare to MSE? As I notice some older computer can't run MSE

I like the silent/gamer mode,no silly ads. I use freeware listed on gizmo's freeware site, they rate it #1 of all free AV.

I had switched to installing MSE on friends/family PC's for nearly a year before I started seeing them get infected still I re-installed Avast because I trust it a bit more.

Sure, with the free version you'll encounter an ad here and there, but not very often at all.

How does this co. survive by giving anti-virus free? And how is it compare to MSE? As I notice some older computer can't run MSE
I run Avast Free (now up to v.7) and I like it more than MSE. I still however install MSE on all PC's I work on due to it's simplicity.

1 - Avast is lighter (using around 20MB compared to 75MB MSE
2 - It has a higher detection rate
3 - It includes a Web Shield which blocks attacks before they even hit your disk drive
4 - The Network Shield 'NIDS' is superior to MSE's network inspection in detection rates.

Watch this review of Avast 7. The guy throws all sorts of malware at the system and Avast handles it nicely. Then watch MSE fail.

The downsides to Avast Free is that it has an advertisement on the main page (but not advertising pop ups). You also have to renew a yearly free subscription. MSE has an easier to use UI and does not have to be renewed each year.

If you decide to go with Avast, to keep it light weight, I suggest using a custom installation. Install the File Shield, Web Shield, Network Shield, & Script Shield.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/detection-test

I'm getting conflict survey results from the above. there is no consistency, any1 knows if av-comparatives are reliable?
A lot of people here recommend av-comparitives, but I am getting away from their site because I fine it convoluted. I prefer AV-test.org, which is much easier to read, and I believe have better testing measures.

Last edited:
Back