How's Amazon Digital Services for PC Games?

Stupac

[H]ard|Gawd
I've mostly bought games on Steam, but since they don't have sales on new games until later I've been looking at other options. How's Amazon for PC Game downloads?

I was reading their FAQs and it says you can download them and even download again if you upgrade our pc or do a clean install.

Steam is obviously more integrated but if you just want the download service and have the option of re-redownloading again later is Amazon reliable for that?

Thoughts?

I've heard of people having issues with corrupted downloads using Amazon's service. Personally I only use it for games that I can register on another service like EADM or Steam.

I know a few ppl that have used it and they like it and haven't had any problems with it. I imagine it is pretty good, Amazon in general is good.

I have 4 games from amazon, all of them have worked fine, installed onto 2 separate computers.

Personally, I've liked the Amazon DL'able games because the files can be saved for future use and reinstalled with the keys that are permanently saved on your Amazon acct. They don't require a program like Steam and can be more easily installed on a limited space SSD, if need be. Amazon, sometimes, has better deals than EA, D2D, or Steam on particular titles.

No problems with them, and they do seem very price competitive with Steam and other digital services. Choices are a bit limited with older stuff.

Lately Amazon has been competing with Steam. For instance when steam had their total war sale week and put the pack on sale Amazon put each individual game on sale for a combine price within $1 of the Steam bundle. From time to time Amazon seems to also have a few select deals that are outstanding (combined Arma 2 and Operations for a little over $10)

I have several games through Amazon and have not had any problems at all.

The site to watch is D2D.

This site is offering 20 percent off all titles almost every second week now. There was no reason whatsoever to buy Shogun 2 from Steam. It was selling for twenty percent off at D2D. I never even downloaded the game from D2D. I just entered my D2D code at Steam, and downloaded from Steam.

I got Dead Space 2 for twenty percent off, Dragon Age 2 for twenty percent off, and Shogun 2 for twenty percent off.

They have yet another twenty percent off sale happening this weekend, and the sales actually stack with other sales. I just got Need For Speed Hot Pursuit for $12 doing that.

This site is offering 20 percent off all titles almost every second week now. There was no reason whatsoever to buy Shogun 2 from Steam. It was selling for twenty percent off at D2D. I never even downloaded the game from D2D. I just entered my D2D code at Steam, and downloaded from Steam.

I got Dead Space 2 for twenty percent off, Dragon Age 2 for twenty percent off, and Shogun 2 for twenty percent off.

They have yet another twenty percent off sale happening this weekend, and the sales actually stack with other sales. I just got Need For Speed Hot Pursuit for $12 doing that.

Amazon Digital had DA2 20% off at launch as well. With no tax. D2D is pushing pretty hard though.

I personally love the competition but Amazon's digital game downloads kinda suck right now. Steam offers far better deals and is a much more mature client.

If Amazon starts to take things seriously and beef up on support and game deals then Steam could have some serious competition at least as far as games are concerned , Steam still has tons of community features , built in chat client with voice chat (now with a great codec) and auto patching is the biggest advantage Steam has it just streamlines things and makes it so much easy to deal with that end of PC gaming.

Ive had no problem with the games I bought from amazon. But I agree they should beef up support.

I personally love the competition but Amazon's digital game downloads kinda suck right now. Steam offers far better deals and is a much more mature client.

If Amazon starts to take things seriously and beef up on support and game deals then Steam could have some serious competition at least as far as games are concerned , Steam still has tons of community features , built in chat client with voice chat (now with a great codec) and auto patching is the biggest advantage Steam has it just streamlines things and makes it so much easy to deal with that end of PC gaming.

I personally buy some games on amazon so I DON'T have to run client aside the program. Not everybody wants community features, and I find Amazon's lack of community features an oasis of privacy, where I don't feel like anybody is going to track what I play and for how long.

I've only used it once but here's my experience:

I bought Shogun Total War 2, a steamworks game. It was cheaper on Amazon. Unfortunately, I couldn't just grab the key and download from steam. I had to download through amazon before it'd show me the key. Really stupid imo, especially since it's a steamworks game. If I were Amazon I'd let you see the key immediately and download it using someone else's bandwidth. Would save them money and be more convenient.

Which led to my biggest issue with it. I live in Asia right now and Steam downloads work very well here. Amazon... not so much. Usually on Steam I get a minimum of 1mb/s. On Amazon I was getting 2-300kbps max. So it took all day to download. I think in the states this would be a non-issue.

Overall it seems like a good service that often has better deals that Steam. It doesn't provide all the features that Steam does, but I don't always want those anyway.

Steam has better deals on older to semi-older games. But D2D and Amazon are beating up steam badly on the new stuff.

Yeah, too bad D2D have tax in my state... still it's cheaper even with tax.

I personally buy some games on amazon so I DON'T have to run client aside the program. Not everybody wants community features, and I find Amazon's lack of community features an oasis of privacy, where I don't feel like anybody is going to track what I play and for how long.

I thought I was the only one who was annoyed with that. You can go in offline mode and suffer the annoying "do you want to be in offline mode?" popup every time you start your computer or start a game.

Back