howling CPU fan

launzzz

n00b
Hello!

Last week when I first booted the PC my CPU-fan howled horribly.
I also had the message warning: CPU-fan speed too low.
I proceeded with F1 to windows and after about 2 minutes the noise stopped, CPU-fan was silent as usual.

My PC: Windows XP SP3
Mainboard ASUS A8N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Geforce 8600GTS 256MB
CPU-fan 70cm x 70cm, nothing special, power-cable is connected to the mainboard.
Bios settings for the fan: http://members.chello.at/sabstens/DSC03407.JPG

The next days I cleaned the fan, updated the bios to the newest version and, since neither helped, bought a new CPU-fan. (without the cooler).

That didn't help either.

Now the situation is like this: on almost every first boot the fan howls and the only way to stop it is to turn the computer off and on again. Because every second time I start the PC the CPU-fan works fine.
I might deal with that, booting 2 times, well okay.. but in addition to that every now and then the howling starts out of the blue. Then I gotta stop whatever I was doing on the PC and switch the PC off and on again.

Is there anything I can do besides buying a new mainboard?
I appreciate every answer and help.

regards,
Launzzz

So the new heatsink fan howls as well? Are you sure it isn't something else that's howling? If the CPU fan is too slow, I can't imagine it emitting a howling sound, unless maybe there was absolutely no lubrication.

So the new heatsink fan howls as well? Are you sure it isn't something else that's howling? If the CPU fan is too slow, I can't imagine it emitting a howling sound, unless maybe there was absolutely no lubrication.

Yes the new fan does exactly the same noise. I opened the PC and checked closely to be sure its the CPU fan.
But you're right, I am not sure whether the noise comes from the fan running too slow. I had that in mind because of the bios warning, but that might not be correct.

You're right,GJSNeptune, the howling doesn't come from the fan.

Poked & stopped it, the noise continued. What else could it be :confused:

Is your cpu overheating? My mobo is set to make a warning noise when it reaches a certain temp.

Is your cpu overheating? My mobo is set to make a warning noise when it reaches a certain temp.

This would be my guess too after you found it wasn't the fan. I would try re-seating the CPU heatsink...maybe it got a little loose somehow.

The temps have been fine, but I only checked in the bios. I only had that old motherboard monitor program but that didn't show the temperature anymore..
which one do you guys recommend?

But then again, since the noise usually comes when first starting the PC after it was the whole night off, can overheating really be the cause?

Next time I hear it I will record the sound, maybe that will tell more.

WOW!!!! That defenately does not sound like a fan problem. Sounds more mechanical/electrical... not sure if that makes sense.

My A8N-e northbridge(southbridge... whatever the Nforce 4 is) fan made a similar noise. Doesn't sound like anything electrial. Should be just to the right of the PCI-E x16 slot.

100% sure now that the noise comes from the Southbridge fan.

Other ppl have the same issue with this Asus A8N-SLi board, its a crappy fan.

I unplugged it to test, its SO silent without it but could the mainboard run without the fan?
Its a nForce4 Chip

Last edited:
Should be fine, use speedfan or bios to check the temps. When mine went bad I was too cheap to buy a proper passive heatsink, so I just removed the fan, applied some MX-2 and put the heatsink back on. I have a 120mm side panel fan that provides enough airflow, which that heatsink does need a bit of. It's running at 35C now irrespective of load. The heatsink is attached with some sort of thermal adhesive, not very strong though. Just be gentle when you're prying it off, and use a razorblade to scrape any leftover off the nforce 4 before you reinstall the heatsink. I suggest one of the low profile chipset heatsinks from Sidewinder computers, 15 bucks and solid copper. I'd get one now cept I don't feel like removing the motherboard from the case, temps are fine as they are. The low profile is important because they put it so close to the video card.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/encnfoconohe.html

the sb fan on my MB died a while back, didnt sound quite like that but it was noisy. ended up buying a $5 cheapo chipset cooling kit from ncix, and pulled the blade and magnet from it to run on my inset SB fan casing.......wasnt sure it would work, but it does and its silent.

but where i have heard that exact sound is my bedroom pc when it starts up after being off for a while, and it is comming from the cheapo psu ive got in it.......soon to be replaced.

Back