How would you get Vaseline off a CPU -=- or does it actually help temps?

charles555

Limp Gawd
I bought a 1700+ from a guy, and he said he hit 2.7Ghz on it with Vaseline, so should I leave it and get that crap in my socket? I would make sure the core was squeeky clean before putting on the thermal paste...

use rubbing alchohol to get it off
put on vaseline or your own preferred brand if lubricant
just go nuts

The petroleum jelly or dielectric grease is use to prevent condensation damage when running super-cold phase-change cooling (which is part of how he was able to hit 2.7Ghz).

You can clean it off with a xylene-based electrical contact cleaner (available as the hardware store).

HeThatKnows said:
The petroleum jelly or dielectric grease is use to prevent condensation damage when running super-cold phase-change cooling (which is part of how he was able to hit 2.7Ghz).

You can clean it off with a xylene-based electrical contact cleaner (available as the hardware store).

I bet you say that to all the processors at the bar...

There are an endless number of mansechs jokes that are going to cum out of this thread.

Laquer thinner or heptane has more grease cutting power. Heptane will take the paint right off anything within microseconds, but laquer thinner isnt as strong. But it sure is tougher than 50% Isopropl.

then again, dish soap and water, followed by drying time, followed by cleaning with iso alchohol and lint free wipes also does the trick.

yeah, i use thermelectrics, and so i need to grease my dirty little girl up as well.

This is the first thread I've ever considered "to deliver" in the [H]ard|Forums.*

*Does not include the "steal my lunch money" charge area called General Mayhem.

I feel sorry for any cpu that has to be the "reciever"....

poor thing.

And btw... this has to be one of the best threads ive read in some time... i actually laughed out loud reading it.

Back