How would this setup work?

blankwire

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
2,178
Right now, I have a set of Herman/Kardon HK395 Dell speakers.



They sound decent enough for "free" speakers, but I'd like to upgrade to something better. I don't need a sorround sound setup, so I figured I'd get better sound out of a stereo setup.

I've heard good things about Insignia/Best Buy's speakers. I found a Pioneer subwoofer on my local Craigslist listings (I don't know the model number) for $40. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I could use my father's old amplifier (don't laugh!) until I can afford a better receiver.



The whole setup would cost be about $115.

Would I really notice the difference between the speakers I have now, and the Insignias? Would I be better off going with something else?
 
It would probably sound better. Do you know how to set it all up? Even though it is old Kenwood makes good gear. Might not have all the features you want.
 
Speakers are a very personal choice, but I'd bet my life whatever you replace those Dell freebies with will be much better. Make sure the sub you get has high-level inputs(speaker wire terminals and highly likely) on it otherwise you won't be able to use it on that old receiver.
 
For the price, would I be better off going with regular computer speakers? I don't need any other inputs for a receiver, and I haven't found anything cheap enough to justify buying. I'd like an amp with one source input for my computer, and outputs to the speakers.

EDIT: Something like this is perfect, but I can't use the subwoofer.

I should know the model of the subwoofer by tomorrow, so that should help me decide.
 
EDIT Outpost has the r-15's in stock right now for $50 a pair http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3292811?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

if you keep your eye on outpost.com you can pick up the polk r-15 speakers for about $50 a pair and they sound great for the price. I have 2 r-15's and the sub from an old set of logitec z-560's in my dorm and it really pumps out some sound. I have gotten noise complaints on various occasions ;)
 
My opinion is if you only have a little bit of cash 1-$200 then PC speakers are probably the best way to get a powerful system that sounds good. For instance the Logitech Z-5500's can be bought for about $200. They are a 5.1 set @ 500 Watts RMS of power and they sound nice. The best way to go is Home theater componenets, you pay alot more for them though.
You cannot get a setup close to the Z5500's for $200 if your buying HT. You already have the Receiver though so really just buy some speakers and you should be good. It is really up to you. A seperate receiver and 2.1 or 5.1 is always the best way to go becasue it will give you the best balanced sound available. You pay more for it though.
 
I have a test system up now. I'm using a pair of "Realistic" Radio Shack brand satellites my family had lying around. It definitely sounds better than the speakers I had before (excuse the picture quality).



I have a decent pair of earbuds (Panasonic RP-HJE70s), and I recognize some instruments I heard before with the buds, but I don't know how I feel all together. The loudspeakers have enough bass, but it sounds like I'm missing some range somewhere. The sound coming out of them isn't satisfying until I raise the volume, but these things can carry sound far. I'll try to play with the EQ on the amplifier, but I'll decide if I want to go with the Insignias or standard computer speakers later.

Thanks for the help!
 
the Insignias will be better than any PC speaker system like Logitech or Klipsch.

If you are ok with a 2.1 system go for it. I tried the Insignias with a good sub and the sound was very good for the $$. It will certainly blow the ever loving doors off of what you have now.
 
Does anyone know of any decent speakers in the $100 (per pair) range besides the Insignias? I've been looking for them below retail, with little luck (a whopping one listing on eBay!). The (other) re-brands are even more expensive.

I'd like something a little more powerful than the Polks though.
 
Back
Top