how would i install windows 7

gamekid

Gawd
ok.....my old desktop is virus infected (thanks mom), has random files and programs all over it, needs to be fixed.

i used to just put in the windows xp cd, and defrag the hdd and reinstall windows.

however, i lost the cd and key.

right now i am downloading windows 7 on my laptop for free from my university. i was thinking i could put this on a dvd and just do what i did with xp..just defrag and install, but then i realized i am downloading a 16 gb file.....

how would i be able to install this on my desktop? (burn to multiple dvds somehow?)

The ISO for Windows 7 Ultimate is only 3.1 GBs. Are you sure you're downloading the correct file?

After you download the ISO, you would burn it onto a DVD using something like ImgBurn, write the key down somewhere, back up anything that needs to be backed up, then format your hard drive and reinstall. If the computer is in enough of a usable state then before formatting you might also want to go through and download the drivers for your hardware before formatting as well as the installers for any freeware programs you routinely use (like 7-zip, ccleaner, etc.) just so you'll have them handy after you reinstall.

Win7 is *NOT* 16Gigs!!!

What the heck did they put in there?

Is this a Zip file???
I know that in the box from Microsoft there are two DVDs. one for 64 bit the other for 32 bit.
Obviously if your computer supports a 64 bit OS install that. Or better yet try to install it it'll tell you weather or not it's supported shortly after your system loads the disk.

If your computer isn't too far gone there are little utilities out there that can read your Windows Key and show it to you. I'd recommend doing that anyway.
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm

Yeah 16 gigs is definately wrong. My win7 pro upgrade retail is on a standard DVD disk, so they either added something, or multiple versions or something...

I can fit both 32 and 64 bit windows 7 (all versions including enterprise) and Server 2008 R2 all on an 8GB memory stick, so 16 GB is excessive to say the least...

Windows 7 iso file no more than 4GB its 32bits or 64bits. I recommended install with Flash Disk, more secure and faster than DVD.
You can use diskpart or Ultraiso to do that.

Back