How would I do this...

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
1,787
Ok I have my main computer hooked to the net through wireless but it also has a built in wired ethernet port. I just noticed I have an old wired router sitting in my closet and want to know if it's possible to hook it up to my computer, having my computer act as a 'fake cable/dsl modem' (since it already has internet). I would like to then hook up my fileserver, xbox, and ps2 up to this wired router. How would I go about setting this all up? Would it be a bridge connection? How would IP's work? Filesharing? (Win XP Pro on the 'host' machine btw)

Thanks
 
Your computer is already setup on the internet using wireless? So I'm guessing you have a wireless router doing that job...that you say has a wired port. Easy..plug your other computer into that wired port on that router....and treat it like a hub...the wireless router will allow any computers connected using wireless to connect to any computers connecting using wired ports....as if they were all one 1 switch.
 
Should've explained better - the wireless router is on the first floor, and all my PC's are on the second floor, Wiring the house with ethernet isn't an option. So i just want to know if what I'm trying to do will work, and how would I go about doing it?
 
your house is wired for ethernet you just dont know it. all phone jacks, now a days anyway, this may not apply if your house is older, are ran on cat5 lines. open up one of the jacks and you will see all the stranded pairs. nows the hard part if you have the smarts to figure out which lines are your phone and which are just left in there for extra lines, etc then you can use those wires to wire up rj-45 ports. the one thing that makes all this work is the fact that cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair. look up some diagrams on cat 5 and you will see what im talking about. hope I helped.
 
I think he wan'ts to ICS his computer use the old router as a switch for the xbox, ps2..
 
GAMMA_BLADE said:
your house is wired for ethernet you just dont know it. all phone jacks, now a days anyway, this may not apply if your house is older, are ran on cat5 lines. open up one of the jacks and you will see all the stranded pairs. nows the hard part if you have the smarts to figure out which lines are your phone and which are just left in there for extra lines, etc then you can use those wires to wire up rj-45 ports. the one thing that makes all this work is the fact that cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair. look up some diagrams on cat 5 and you will see what im talking about. hope I helped.

The phone jacks in my house are in inconvenient locations to use for ethernet. Sorry, I just want to know the answer to my original question.
 
So...does anyone know what I should do? i'm really a networking noob
 
Try disabling DHCP on the router, and then running the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard on your main machine.... That should get you up and runnng hopefully...
 
GAMMA_BLADE said:
your house is wired for ethernet you just dont know it. all phone jacks, now a days anyway, this may not apply if your house is older, are ran on cat5 lines. open up one of the jacks and you will see all the stranded pairs. nows the hard part if you have the smarts to figure out which lines are your phone and which are just left in there for extra lines, etc then you can use those wires to wire up rj-45 ports. the one thing that makes all this work is the fact that cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair. look up some diagrams on cat 5 and you will see what im talking about. hope I helped.

*Turns arround, grabs screwdriver, takes off phone outlet...

Holy Jesus Batman!!! Their be stranded pair in the walls!!!! :eek:

Gotta call the builder and find out what was exactly installed. Oh you made my day!!!! :D :cool:
 
GAMMA_BLADE said:
your house is wired for ethernet you just dont know it. all phone jacks, now a days anyway, this may not apply if your house is older, are ran on cat5 lines. open up one of the jacks and you will see all the stranded pairs. nows the hard part if you have the smarts to figure out which lines are your phone and which are just left in there for extra lines, etc then you can use those wires to wire up rj-45 ports. the one thing that makes all this work is the fact that cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair. look up some diagrams on cat 5 and you will see what im talking about. hope I helped.

How old of houses are we talking about? Would my parents house which was built in 1979 have it?
 
GAMMA_BLADE said:
your house is wired for ethernet you just dont know it. all phone jacks, now a days anyway, this may not apply if your house is older, are ran on cat5 lines. open up one of the jacks and you will see all the stranded pairs. nows the hard part if you have the smarts to figure out which lines are your phone and which are just left in there for extra lines, etc then you can use those wires to wire up rj-45 ports. the one thing that makes all this work is the fact that cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair. look up some diagrams on cat 5 and you will see what im talking about. hope I helped.

Please don't be spreading this crap around like its a good idea. Can it work? Yes. Is it the correct way to do things? Hell no. There are so many variables that you can't control suggesting this is a bad bad thing. What if its cat 3 cable? What if its not terminated properly at the other end? What if, what if, what if. Besides that, those unused pairs in the spec are there for a reason - shielding. Now that you're running voice on those lines there is the possibility of all kinds of interference and cross-talk.

And on top of it, suggesting to a "networking newbie" that he bust out a crimpers and start rewiring his house's telephone is a recepie for disaster.

 
AndyBenn said:
Try disabling DHCP on the router, and then running the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard on your main machine.... That should get you up and runnng hopefully...


So in doing this will machines connected to the wired router obtain IP addresses through the DHCP on the wireless router?
 
I am willing to be just that disaster. I am waiting for a reply from the cabling company of what they put in.

/edit I got a reply from the cabling company. They installed Cat 3 cable. :( But I have the Cat 5e cable so I can still do the home network as planned.
 
sitheris said:
So in doing this will machines connected to the wired router obtain IP addresses through the DHCP on the wireless router?

Not quite, you would have two networks running, one from your wireless router to you PC, and then another one from your PC to the wired router and the other devices connected to it...

You might need to change the IP address range that your wireless router is giving out to avoid conflicts, but apart from that you should be good to go...
 
AndyBenn said:
Not quite, you would have two networks running, one from your wireless router to you PC, and then another one from your PC to the wired router and the other devices connected to it...

You might need to change the IP address range that your wireless router is giving out to avoid conflicts, but apart from that you should be good to go...


So like on the wireless router have IPs range from 192.168.2.2-20 and then assign static IP of 192.168.2.21,22,23 to my other devices?
 
sitheris said:
So like on the wireless router have IPs range from 192.168.2.2-20 and then assign static IP of 192.168.2.21,22,23 to my other devices?

Again not quite, if you wireless router is issuing IP's in the 192.168.2.x range then you should be ok...

If I recall correctly, Internet Connection Sharing issues IP's in the 192.168.1.x range...

So no conflict and it should all just work...
 
AndyBenn said:
Again not quite, if you wireless router is issuing IP's in the 192.168.2.x range then you should be ok...

If I recall correctly, Internet Connection Sharing issues IP's in the 192.168.1.x range...

So no conflict and it should all just work...

Ok great thanks, will be trying this setup once I get home and I'll report back (hopefully :) )
 
Back
Top