how would I do this (IR detector)

Xiun

n00b
Alright, so this actually isnt for my computer, but this was the best place i know of to ask. So i need to build a robot that uses IR emitters and recievers to avoid obstacles. I'd elike it all the be bare bone chips with no computer or programming involved. I know that i could get the robot the reverse and turn when it detects and object, but i cant think of a way to make it reverse and turn past when it sees the object. If it reverses once it sees the object, it will suddently not see it, and will attempt to go forward again, only to see the obect again. I considered using a 555 timer chip for this, but how would I wire it so that once it gets an inital signal, the chip will continue for a set time without having the voltage cut? The IR reciever is just a simple on-off, so i there needs to be some other component acting as a temporary voltage supplier to the 555 chip.

I relaly dont know what to do about this. Been thinking about it for days but cant come up with anything. Hopefully one of you guys will have a suggestion.

Thanks

A set reset circuit with a crystal ocillator, you can get a specific one (can think of what number) that you can convert to a "timetable" in real seconds and have it set to turn for the time of the x number of cycles and then if at that time you try to move forward and it is still there it will do it again, also you could set it to clear the "set" if it sees another "object" and start the count over or wire it to shorten the timespan for the second time etc...........You would probably need a "reset" switch to clear everything when you decide to play with it again so that it will start out as if it was freshly built.

That might do the trick....

I don't know I just kinda thought that one up on the fly.
probably won't work but who knows you could try
Tyson

Back