how would 3800 X2 compare to 4 ghz prescott

games mostly, and some multitasking, im wondering if 3800 X2 fixes all the multitasking issues

I'd say a 4GHz prescott would have a edge on the 3800 X2 in gaming, depending on exactly which prescott. Of course, that's assuming the 3800 X2 is at stock speeds. I wasn't aware there was a stock 4GHz prescott, so if you're overclocking the prescott, you could overclock the X2 as well, which would probably push it ahead in games.

Of course, I haven't seen any direct comparisions, so I'm just extrapolating based on relative bench scores.

The X2 is better at multitasking, though I'm not sure what issues you're talking about. Remember though, if you have two apps that are both heavily accessing files on the same hard disk, even 4 cores aren't going to make a difference.

Earp said:
I'd say a 4GHz prescott would have a edge on the 3800 X2 in gaming, depending on exactly which prescott. Of course, that's assuming the 3800 X2 is at stock speeds. I wasn't aware there was a stock 4GHz prescott, so if you're overclocking the prescott, you could overclock the X2 as well, which would probably push it ahead in games.

Of course, I haven't seen any direct comparisions, so I'm just extrapolating based on relative bench scores.

The X2 is better at multitasking, though I'm not sure what issues you're talking about. Remember though, if you have two apps that are both heavily accessing files on the same hard disk, even 4 cores aren't going to make a difference.
i was referencing my 4 ghz 3.2e prescott, 250 mhz fsb and of course i will be overclocking ;) would 2.4 ghz on water cooling and the dfi sli mobo be pushing my luck on a 3800 X2?

for multitasking i like being able to forget that i have folding@home running and play ut2k4 with little to no performance hit, or encode a movie and play games at same time, shit like that

I think for it to be fair tou would def have to OC the x2 3800 and that would own the intel IMHO

incomudro said:
I think for it to be fair tou would def have to OC the x2 3800 and that would own the intel IMHO
i did not say i wasnt going to oc it i want 2.4 ghz minimum if water cooling can get me there ;)

other thing is, you guys think this psu is enough for a a64 X2 3800+? its what i have right now and i would rather not need to buy a new psu

enermax 535w SLI same psu, no active pfc for mine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103462

My 3800 X2 is clocked at [email protected](I think thats the voltage) on a Abit AN8-Ultra. It's watercooled with a MCW6002 block. I could go higher, but I'm not sure if I want to push the voltage any higher.

My powersupply is a NeoPower 480w, and that is powering the X2 and a 7800GT. Also, I can encode MPEG4 while playing HL2 with no problems (although the priority on the encoder is set to low).

Earp said:
My 3800 X2 is clocked at [email protected](I think thats the voltage) on a Abit AN8-Ultra. It's watercooled with a MCW6002 block. I could go higher, but I'm not sure if I want to push the voltage any higher.

My powersupply is a NeoPower 480w, and that is powering the X2 and a 7800GT. Also, I can encode MPEG4 while playing HL2 with no problems (although the priority on the encoder is set to low).
so my psus prob no problem and i can multitask with few issues? i didnt do a64 cuz more tasks you do performance goes down real fast compared to what HT does

I'm not sure you'd see a lot of an increase in speed, but as long as your power supply has the 24-pin connector, it should be fine.

Earp said:
I'm not sure you'd see a lot of an increase in speed, but as long as your power supply has the 24-pin connector, it should be fine.
so your saying a64 x2 3800+ at ~2.4 ghz is about the same as a 4 ghz prescott and not worth the money?

ryuji said:
so your saying a64 x2 3800+ at ~2.4 ghz is about the same as a 4 ghz prescott and not worth the money?

4GHz is a lot of CPU to use. I doubt you'd see more than a 10-20% performance increase (just pulling that number out of my a$$). If it were me, I'd spend the $350 on a big 21in display or a better video card, and be a lot happier.

Now the upgrade from my 2500+ bartron & 5600FX was a significant performance increase...

multitasking, the X2 wins easily

it will win in gaming too, but not sure by how much
just dig up some benchmarks comparing 3.8GHz Prescotts to 2.5GHz A64s - since dual core does little for games right now, the single core gaming benchmarks should be a good indication of what you can expect from the X2

Earp said:
4GHz is a lot of CPU to use. I doubt you'd see more than a 10-20% performance increase (just pulling that number out of my a$$). If it were me, I'd spend the $350 on a big 21in display or a better video card, and be a lot happier.

Now the upgrade from my 2500+ bartron & 5600FX was a significant performance increase...
there is no better video card i can buy and my mobos caps are bleeding from being stressed so much at 1.6v :( :( my psu wasnt powerful enough to keep the 12v power stable, the caps got extra stress, there leaking now(were talking about 150-160 watts of power consumption here, my whole computer consumes 400 watts measured from 120v outlet)

Everything to me. I went from a 3.2 Pressy @ 4ghz to my 3800x2 @ 2.6 ghz, it gives me much better fps in games at low resolutions and helps stable them at high resolutions. Multitasking is nice if you have enough ram.

I'm running my X2 3800+ at 2.5 at stock voltages on air, I'm sure with water you can get much better results.

i got my 3800+ X2 at 2.5 on air id say it would do 3.0 on water easly with good ram

i got mushkin pc4400 tccd(why i ended up buying it is a long story, but i have memory speed none of my p4s could use up, when i intended to do 275~300 mhz fsb on a earlier setup), supposively quarenteed to do 300 mhz+ going by the tccd list on XS forums how much heat i wonder, would heat be about the same as my prescott's ~150 watts at 3ghz?

what mobo do you guys suggest i was thinking the an8-sli

I was nearly at 4GHz on my Pentium 4 [email protected] and in benchmark testing and actual game benches using time demos,. the Athlon 64 3200 was about even with me, and the Athlon 3500+ was RAPING my machine. Same amount of ram, same video card. I had Raptors and the whole works. That's what prompted me to go AMD in the first place.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I was nearly at 4GHz on my Pentium 4 [email protected] and in benchmark testing and actual game benches using time demos,. the Athlon 64 3200 was about even with me, and the Athlon 3500+ was RAPING my machine. Same amount of ram, same video card. I had Raptors and the whole works. That's what prompted me to go AMD in the first place.
RAPING?

According to these benchmarks, the 3500+ is about 5% faster than the 3200+

EnderW said:
RAPING?

According to these benchmarks, the 3500+ is about 5% faster than the 3200+

Well perhaps raping wasn't quite the right word. And I may have thought of a slightly higher end chip like the 3800+ or the 4000+. It has been along time since I compared benches between the two. All I really remembered was alot of Athlon 64 systems with the same video card and just as much ram beating my system out by quite a bit.

Still there is no denying the performance of the A64 vs. the Pentium 4. The original poster also stated that he would be overclocking the X2 as well. I think he can surely beat the performance of the 4GHz Prescott with an overclocked X2 3800. Even if he only gets a mild overclock. If he can hit 2.4GHz or more, he'll be close to the FX-55 speeds, and definately competetive with the FX-53/A64 4000+. Which I think might put it over the top.

for comparison sake my 250 fsb 4 ghz prescott got about 500 fps in quake 3 time demo, 100 fps in doom 3 time demo, and ~110 fps average with all settings maxed out on antalus bot match with fraps

here are some benches of the 670 (3.8GHz) compared to A64
it's probably close to your 4GHz chip

compared to the A64 4000+ at 2.4GHz, there is about a 10% difference
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429&p=6

anyway, I was in the same spot as you a few months ago when I traded in my 560J which would do up to 4.3GHz (way too hot though) for a 4400+
I did it for the dual core more than the gaming factor, but being able to use PCI-E cards is a must if you want a high end gaming rig
plus S939 is really in its prime right now IMO
M2 won't be out until next year sometime, and of course it will be a long time before all the motherboards are released, new coolers, etc
and usually the first chips on a new platform aren't a lot faster than the high end of the previous generation

so a nice X2 system now with a good OC of 2.6GHz or so like mine, with the ability to swap in new graphics cards as they come out should last well into 2007 IMO

i got 100 fps doom 3 timedemo 1024x768 at extreme quality or whatever its called

Elios said:
.......... id say it would do 3.0 on water easly with good ram

not hardly....

3GHz is ALOT to ask for from an X2 3800+ chip. doesnt matter what kind of cooling thats behind it. now, I'm not saying it isnt impossible to get an X2 3800+ up to 3GHz, I'm just saying that it doesnt happen too often.

ozziegn said:
not hardly....

3GHz is ALOT to ask for from an X2 3800+ chip. doesnt matter what kind of cooling thats behind it. now, I'm not saying it isnt impossible to get an X2 3800+ up to 3GHz, I'm just saying that it doesnt happen too often.
what SHOULD i expect my max3's death sentence draws near, maybe another week or two, damn leaking caps

ryuji said:
what SHOULD i expect my max3's death sentence draws near, maybe another week or two, damn leaking caps
you should expect 2.4GHz with the right equipment and hope for 2.8GHz

on water you can expect 2.7 for sure... maybe even 2.8.

Both the 3800s I have tested did 2.6 on air no problem. 2.7 would only fail because of HTT problems I had.

Back