• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How wierd is this ?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 28, 2001
Messages
2,856
I have a client with a mirrored RAID Array composed of 2 80gig Seagate SATA drives. Both drives are under 1 year old. I got a call from them yesterday saying they had a screen on the monitor they had never seen before. It was the RAID config screen saying that a drive had failed. I disconnected the failed drive and booted the system. It made it thru the day without incident and that evening, I went back and replaced both drives. Today, I tested both drives using Seagate Seatools and they both tested bad. I was able to image the one drive that got the system thru the day and restore the image onto the new array so I guess I was lucky. What are the odds of both drives failing at the same time? Is this a sign of a bad batch of drives from Seagate? Could the controller somehow be damaging the HD's and causing them to fail?

I've never seen this happen so I'm a bit spooked. I've sang the praises of Seagate for years and now I'm wondering if my loyalty may be a bit misplaced.
 
I had one of my 4 Seagate 320's go down in my RAID 5 array... I RMA'd the drive but when I tried to rebuild the array with the replacement it said the array was "Disabled". Turns out one of the other drives had gone bad at the same time. I'm looking for a tool that will let me image the dying drive and copy the data to the new (blank) drive without destroying the RAID5 stripe. I can't think of any other way to recover my data. Its been over a month, I just haven't had the heart to do anything with it for fear of completely losing 800+ GB of data.
 
I use Trueimage but I don't think it works on RAID Arrays. If it's a mirror set, you can just remove one of the drives to another machine and image it. But if it's a stripe set, you're SOL as far as Trueimage is concerned.
 
Are you sure the RAID didn't corrupt and toast everything?
 
I had 3 x 36 gig 10K SCSI drives die at once. Never got to the bottom of it.
 
I'm setting up a Linux MythTV box right now with massive storage. I'm setting up email notices if any drives die, throw SMART errors, or any other major errors of that type.

Lots of hard drives must be looked after carefully. More drives means more likely that one will die. I just killed 8 drives at once when a PSU blew.
 
Back
Top