How/Where to source parts for a custom-build case?

Mr.Nosmo

n00b
Hi Guys!

I have been using a "D.Vine 5" case for my Desktop Workstation for the last 10 years (+/- 1 year), but the top have never been on and the MediaDisplay never connected - I want to change that for my new build...

If possible, I'll actually do 2 almost identical builds (same basic case): A Desktop Workstation & A MediaCenter, so here are my thoughts:

1) I'll keep the design as basic, clean & symmetric as possible - I personally prefer that design.
2) The case will be made out of 6 "plates"/"profiles" like the "D.Vine 5" is, so it will be easy to change the design based on use (but I'll try to make it "MultiUse").
3) It will be designed to house radiators for water-cooling - I was thinking (maybe not thermo-optimal, but...) 2-3x 120mm rad's in the front. The reason to use 2-3x 120mm rads and not 1x 360 rad is to keep the design symmetrical and the 2. (mid-mounted) rad can be left out if you want the case to be a MediaCenter with a LCD-Display, BluRay-Drive & HDD's

Now to the difficult part - How to source & get the parts!
I'm sure ProtoCase can machine the 6 profiles for me, but where do I source the front USB-panel, power & reset buttons with circle lights, remote-receiver panel/window, MediaCenter ColorLCD-pannel and get the back-plate (Card & I/O frame) made!?

I'm in EU and own a company with Im/ex-port rights, though I prefer EU-suppliers (less paperwork)...

Do any of you have any info and/or comments, please let me know! Thank you all very much in advance!!!

Hi Mr.Nosmo! I'm part of the Protocase team. I just wanted to highlight that shipping is included in the cost you're quoted for a Protocase order. The only thing - we do not cover customs or duty fees for the shipment. Your im/export rights might cover that anyway, I'm not familiar.

I checked with our team of account managers, and they did say that if you provide the VAT number when you order with us, it will at least allow you the opportunity to get the duty/customs you paid, back to you at a later date.

Either way, feel free to reach out to us if you'd like to get your design quoted, at least to give you an initial idea of cost for the design alone. Based on your region, your account manager is Jenn Hurd - you can email her at jhurd <AT> protocase . com

I'm sure ProtoCase can machine the 6 profiles for me, but where do I source the front USB-panel, power & reset buttons with circle lights, remote-receiver panel/window, MediaCenter ColorLCD-pannel and get the back-plate (Card & I/O frame) made!?
Much of this can be scavenged from any cheap case, perhaps a used PC from the thrift store. A little work with a hack saw, Dremel, or plasma cutter and you have the whole back of the case and maybe even the motherboard tray. Might be able to reuse the donor case's front panel jacks and switches. Do a search for "vandal switch" to source the switches with circle lights.

Back