• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

how/what determines the projects you get when folding?

Pitbully

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2011
Messages
1,155
So I seem to get these massive projects every other day or so....my poor 2600k is struggling through a 10127 now...and has been for like freeking 14 hours. WTF is up with this? I am doing good with 24-28k ppd, then every other day or so they throw one of these at me and it takes like freeking 20 hours to complete and I get like 10-12k?!?
 
It is just luck of the draw for the most part. They do increase the priority and push out more units if they consider a project time sensitive, but there is nothing to control it on the user end.
I tell myself that all units, large or small, High PPD or low are pieces of a puzzle that cannot be solved until they have all the parts. Whether that is true or not it I don't know, but it got me through more than my share of 2684's.
 
what you end up getting is random. based on how many units a server has a available. some WU's get higher priority and thus the system produces more of those WU's. but yeah i know how you feel, hence why i don't fold anymore, lol. sorry but going from 9k PPD on one WU to 3k PPD on the piece of crap slow ones while using the same amount of power just doesn't cut it anymore for me. eventually standard SMP will become a lost cause just like the classic WU's are now.. they beg people to run them but why would anyone run them with absolutely no incentive, especially when you see people making 60k+ on bigadv.
 
It is quite frustrating, even when I have a good day I get 30k or so. When I do something I usually go in head first. But there's no way in hell I can afford a 4p system just for folding....
 
what you end up getting is random. based on how many units a server has a available. some WU's get higher priority and thus the system produces more of those WU's. but yeah i know how you feel, hence why i don't fold anymore, lol. sorry but going from 9k PPD on one WU to 3k PPD on the piece of crap slow ones while using the same amount of power just doesn't cut it anymore for me. eventually standard SMP will become a lost cause just like the classic WU's are now.. they beg people to run them but why would anyone run them with absolutely no incentive, especially when you see people making 60k+ on bigadv.


They beg or they FORCE people to run them? :D
 
They beg or they FORCE people to run them? :D

You may be confused, the difference is:

Pande Group BRIBES people to run bigadv.

[H] DC Forum, FORCES people to run them.
 
Last edited:
Well you are certainly being learned in the other thread...18% gain!

Now if only you could guarantee 6903/4s :)
 
easy way to fix it is give them a point increase for normal wu and smp if people want to run them.
 
and the change in point per day means jack shit if your doing this for the purpose of the science/ideas behind folding....
 
You may be confused, the difference is:

Pande Group BRIBES people to run bigadv.

[H] DC Forum, FORCES people to run them.



no one forces anyone to run anything.. no one here holds a gun to your head and says "YOU MUST RUN SMP!!!" on this team. now i agree on the PG bribe part, lol.


and the change in point per day means jack shit if your doing this for the purpose of the science/ideas behind folding....

the science excuse only goes so far when you are having to pay for your own electricity bill. there still has to be an incentive to keep me running it "for the science". ok lets put it this way and see if you agree.. if you were running a 4P system and PG decided they no longer needed bigadv any longer and forced everyone to go back to standard SMP. how many of those people do you think would continue to fold with those 4p systems now that they are making a measly 100k PPD or less instead of the 250k or more they were making while using the same 500+ watts of power? like i said the science excuse only goes so far with people. trust me w.feather, the day you have to pay for your own electricity you will understand.
 
Last edited:
The forces comment was tongue-in-cheek based on all the 4Ps and high-performance FAH system recommendations. (And the competitive nature to get into the top 20)

I do pay for my own power, and would continue to run this system with SMP folding. It is able to crank through standard SMP faster than any i7 for under 800W from the wall. That is more ppd/W than anything else other than HE server parts.

Maybe it depends where you live, but the price of power here isn't bad, so it ends up costing me $10-15 extra per month to run this system 24/7.
 
no one forces anyone to run anything.. no one here holds a gun to your head and says "YOU MUST RUN SMP!!!" on this team. now i agree on the PG bribe part, lol.




the science excuse only goes so far when you are having to pay for your own electricity bill. there still has to be an incentive to keep me running it "for the science". ok lets put it this way and see if you agree.. if you were running a 4P system and PG decided they no longer needed bigadv any longer and forced everyone to go back to standard SMP. how many of those people do you think would continue to fold with those 4p systems now that they are making a measly 100k PPD or less instead of the 250k or more they were making while using the same 500+ watts of power? like i said the science excuse only goes so far with people. trust me w.feather, the day you have to pay for your own electricity you will understand.

My 4p systems use slightly more watts than my Gullfies at 4.5Ghz do and get 5X the PPD on smp than the Gulfies do so I would say pretty much all of the 4p systems would continue to run. That was not the best argument to use because the 4p are far mor efficient than single processor rigs at folding.
 
Yep my 4P draws 435w vs the i7 2x gtx460 box pulling 475w loaded.
4P 450kppd vs i7 48k ppd , I scrapped the i7 setup, too expensive to run.
if only smp available I'm still ahead with less power usage on my 4P.
 
There is nothing wrong with being encouraged to fold by the ppd, Just remember the ps3 ppl who have felt screwed (200 watts for 900 ppd) or the ppl who built 4 video card rigs only to be beat by cheaper i7 rigs and there mystery bonus points. Things will change as time goes on, thats how it works.
I can't believe anyone starts FAH/GRID thinking about ppd first, Don't we all start this because we see a way that we can help make a difference in this life?
 
Yea, I'd keep running mine on SMP if that was all thats left. See, everybody gets hit, not just this team, so it kind of balances it out. I'd be a hell of a lot more efficient too compared to my old 19 GPU farm lol, that thing was pulling like 2k steady from the the wall, had 2 seperate 20 amp lines just for the rack back in those days. Now im not even pulling 500 watts, so this is much more manageable.

I pay for my own power, and its a little harder now because I live alone since the fiance split, but its still not that bad. Under 20$ a month I'd say. My GPU farm was about an extra 80 or so, now that was kinda rough lol. 20 bucks isnt much tho

Its only 4 foot longs or 3 packs of smokes or a 24 pack (fine cuz I dont drink alone anymore) or 20 Arbys Chicken Sandwhiches or one meal out on the town per month.

Its not really a hard sacrifice. Well, except the Chicken Sandwhiches, those things are fucking delicious!
 
Monkey, i wouldn't fold if I couldn't pay the power, the points are not important, I have other reasons for supporting the fah project, but only if I can financially afford it
 
There is nothing wrong with being encouraged to fold by the ppd, Just remember the ps3 ppl who have felt screwed (200 watts for 900 ppd) or the ppl who built 4 video card rigs only to be beat by cheaper i7 rigs and there mystery bonus points. Things will change as time goes on, thats how it works.
I can't believe anyone starts FAH/GRID thinking about ppd first, Don't we all start this because we see a way that we can help make a difference in this life?


yep i remember the PS3 client, what a joke that was. but when it first came out it was worth it, that lasted a whole 2 months til the GPU clients were doing 3x the ppd for half the wattage.

yeah pretty much why we all started and then we all get blinded by the points and the real reason we do it disappears. then some of us see our electricity bill and yeah.. i would love to keep folding but cost out ways the cause/return value by a large margin for me. back when all you had was SMP and GPU client i could justify folding since everyone was in the same boat as me. but when you see people pulling 400-500k PPD you start to re-think your reason for even doing it anymore.
 
Last edited:
Well, to each his own, were certainly not gonna talk shit about you monkey, youve got your reasons, and even tho youve stopped you still stick around the forums and were glad youre still here.

I still run my PS3 from time to time lol, ran it most of this and last week lol
 
Monkey I can understand what your saying, seems as humans were hardwired for the high's in life, when I came back to DC this round I don't have the same equiptment and my points are slow to come and at first I even wondered if it was even worth it, then I remembered the guy who got me all reved up to fold in the first place, He let ppl know do what you can do, its all important, every wu is important. I do the Grid now on 3 old comps and have no idea what its costing me at the wall but I feel good inside for doing it. Remembering why I did it helped me get back. R.I.P. G
 
Back
Top