• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How well does the 2405 scale down

peacetilence

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,343
I really want to own a 2005FPW but all the problems it seems to have are making me question the logic in buying one, the 2405 truthfully is too much monitor for me but atleast it doesn't have a 75%+ defect rate the 2005 seems to have. If I were to buy a 2405 no way would my 6800GT be able to play games at the native resolution so my question is how well do games look if the resolution is scaled down to 1680x1050 or so?
 
peacetilence said:
I really want to own a 2005FPW but all the problems it seems to have are making me question the logic in buying one, the 2405 truthfully is too much monitor for me but atleast it doesn't have a 75%+ defect rate the 2005 seems to have. If I were to buy a 2405 no way would my 6800GT be able to play games at the native resolution so my question is how well do games look if the resolution is scaled down to 1680x1050 or so?


I run Half Life 2 at 1680X1050 (fix the driver issues Nvidia!) and it looks great!
 
This is good to know, I'm looking more closely at this monitor now because it could serve as a good HDTV as well. Now if only more coupon codes would come out or if I could find a way to get it for around $800. I still wouldn't mind owning a defective free 2005FPW though.
 
peacetilence said:
I really want to own a 2005FPW but all the problems it seems to have are making me question the logic in buying one, the 2405 truthfully is too much monitor for me but atleast it doesn't have a 75%+ defect rate the 2005 seems to have. If I were to buy a 2405 no way would my 6800GT be able to play games at the native resolution so my question is how well do games look if the resolution is scaled down to 1680x1050 or so?

I just got mine last night and spent a few hours playing SC:Chaos Theory at 1224x768...something like that. It looked fantastic. I was going to play at 1620x1024, but for some reason the ATI drivers don't have that available. My only other widescreen option was 1900x1200, which brought the framerate down too much. Still, the lower resolution looked good.

I used to be a hardcore CRT proponent, but this panel made me a believer....:)
 
While I am still waiting for my 2405, it is also good to note that you can play games in 4:3 with this monitor and just have black bars on the side of the screen as well. I remember reading on one of the threads that the size is about the same as a 19" CRT when played in 4:3 and that the 2005 can't do this. I can't say for sure because I don't have mine yet (Monday is suposed to be the day), but you might want to search around for more info if you don't mind not playing widescreen I hear the 1:1 looks great too.
 
its about 20.5" visible in 4:3 mode - much larger than a 19" CRT (or LCD for that matter) :D
 
20.5" visible make it equivalent to a 22" CRT which is great when games dont support widescreen or run too slow.

Note that 20.5" is when your running 1600x1200 1:1 if iam not mistaken, 1280x1024 would be more typical for gaming (title such as splinter cell etc..) giving roughly 19" visible at 1:1 (black bars top/bottom and sides).
 
i'm starting to think the 2405 is too big for me as well... eye/neck strain, need to work out how i can move it further away from me.... BUT it does look dam cool :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top