• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How well do you know your team?

alan2308

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2008
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
4,110
I've been kicking around an idea for a while now. A while back while stirring it up over at MaxPC, I came across a series of interviews of various team members over the years that they call the "Folding Spotlight." This is an interview not unlike the one that comes with winning HardDCer of the month, but you don't have to win anything to be featured, just be willing to participate. Depending on how many people are willing to do an interview and how interested others are in reading them, it could be a weekly, monthly or whatever.

The big plus I see with having something like this is getting a chance to learn about the little guy. There's only 12 HardDCers of the month each year. That's not a lot of opportunity for interviews, plus there's been a couple repeats and some former winners no longer frequent these pages. So there's a number of people around here that it would be nice to learn more about. This allows us to give the stage to members who is are new the forum, visitors from other teams that we only see around occasionally, or participants of lesser known projects who stay in the shadows.

Thoughts?


2.png


Edit: Not that it matters, but its a regular staple at OCF too.
 
there are a lot of new names and the "show your mug" thread doesn't give us the full picture

 
Great idea definitely, that would help us know more about each other without waiting to be a winner. We are all curious to know what makes them tick with the [H]orde !

 
I think it sounds like a great idea. My personal opinion is that PPD shouldn't necessarily be a determining factor either. Big PPD producers of course should be included, but I personally think it would be cool to talk to some of the "small time" folders as well..... the guys that are folding on one boxen just trying to help out...

Like I said, just my opinions....

Beers and tamales guys!

 
Sounds good, if we can get some of the "small time" folders included even better.

How about putting up a list of basic question which you would ask.
Get the answers PM'ed back.
Once a week/month pick someone who has answered, PM them with an expanded list.
Tart the answers up and post in the thread.

Luck ............ :D
 
Alight, I've referenced the question list from the [H]DCer of the month interviews and similar questions at a couple other forums, and here's what I have so far:

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?
What is your family situation?
What do you do for a living?
Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?
Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?
What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?
Tell us about your involvement in DC.
Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?
Why do you participate?
If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?
What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?
What teams have you contributed to?
Why did you choose the Horde?
If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?
Current level of production and how's it spread around?
Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?
Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?
What are you running today?
What plans do you have in moving forward? Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?
Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?
How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?
Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

Is there anything else you would like to add? Did I forget to ask anything?



I would start off by making it very clear that these questions are in no way mandatory, and you won't have to answer/reveal anything that you really don't want to disclose, and that you're also free to add anything that isn't specifically addressed that you do want to say. And depending on who is being interviewed, obvious questions that are specific to that person may be added.

@Tiger and digital, that's exactly what I had in mind here. Most of the big timers will eventually have their moment in the sun as the [H]DCer of the month.
 
Let's start with Celerator or Majic. Never won one but deserve to be known ;)

 
Also, if anyone has someone in mind for one of these, feel free to throw the name out there, publicly or privately. I'll approach potential spotlightee's privately with a quick "are you interested," so they don't feel obligated or pressured to participate.


2.png
 
Hit up Wheresatom. Looks like he's interested and I think it would be an interesting interview.

Just my opinion. And alan, cool idea and I hope it works as well as I think it will.

Fold On, and beers and tamales all around!

 
I can definitely answer those questions given a bit of time. It might take me a couple days to form decent answers and get them to you, but I will definitely work on that in the next couple days. Tonight is out because the little lady is coming over. Maybe tomorrow night.

 
I can definitely answer those questions given a bit of time. It might take me a couple days to form decent answers and get them to you, but I will definitely work on that in the next couple days. Tonight is out because the little lady is coming over. Maybe tomorrow night.


Sounds good. You can copy/paste the questions and your answers into a PM to me when you can, and I'll get the ball rolling on this.

And again, no question is mandatory to answer.


2.png
 
This looks like fun. i'm looking forward to seeing a few interviews. btw this is a test of the new badge bookmark.




 
Is there any reason we couldn't just start a thread for just this, and anyone that wants to answer some, or all, of the questions could just post them? I dont think it would lead to chaos on this forum. Just a thought, as I am one of those small time folders that wouldn't mind sharing some, but doubt I would submit anything worthy of being selected out of many.
 
Is there any reason we couldn't just start a thread for just this, and anyone that wants to answer some, or all, of the questions could just post them? I dont think it would lead to chaos on this forum. Just a thought, as I am one of those small time folders that wouldn't mind sharing some, but doubt I would submit anything worthy of being selected out of many.

After the congratulatory thread fiasco, I would rather put interviews into a queue and dole them out at an acceptable rate rather than overwhelm with them again. On the other hand, soliciting people to do one is a way of keeping the well primed, but anyone can fill one out and I'll put it into the queue.

But, you're exactly who we're looking for with this. A relatively new folder with a modest amount of points to date. Guys like myself, d_e, Kendrak or Xilikon don't have much else to disclose. :D
 
Let's start with Celerator or Majic. Never won one but deserve to be known ;)



Wow, I did not see this post that was somehow slipped in there. Those are two excellent choices. Especially Majic seeing as I don't know him at all since he isn't around a lot. Calavaro also comes to mind on that front.


2.png
 
Alight, I've referenced the question list from the [H]DCer of the month interviews and similar questions at a couple other forums, and here's what I have so far:

*snip*

I wouldn't mind answering most (or all) of those questions.

I'll get to typing up some answers over the next few days.

 
Yeah, I wouldn't mind answering those questions. You can throw my name in the hat.



 
Sounds like an excellent idea Alan (as usual ;)). It would be nice to hear more about a wider variety of our team members. Can't wait to start seeing some of these show up.


 
<schnip> Guys like myself, d_e, Kendrak or Xilikon don't have much else to disclose. :D


“Disclose”? What have you disclosed and are you guys running for some secret office or something?

I can see it now, Full disclosure required before you can fold for the [H]orde:p;):D


 
Step up and volunteer. I answered the questions, PMed them to alan and voila my interview got posted

 
Can I do it I would love to answer all the questions with things like, I like pie! and For the [H]orde!!
 
Im not sure my life is that interesting, but still it sounds fun to get to know everyone. that is what makes a great team, afterall.


 
Wow, I honestly didn't expect such a positive reaction right out of the gate. I have two more ready to go, a few more verbal commitments, and one I did myself just in case. I wish I would have started it sooner.


2.png
 
Back
Top