How VR capable is my 970 card really?

thegreywizard

Limp Gawd
So I have this card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487077

How VR capable is this card really? I know it is rated for VR, (wasn't why I bought the card) but I also know that having a 1070 & preferably 1080 is what will not give you any performance issues or bottle-necking.

I would like to game some, but I would also be interested in productivity and using it as a VR PC desktop for multitasking.

Ok? I have a 970 and use an Oculus Rift with it. Works fine in most games. Elite Dangerous is a bit sketchy at times but I've managed to stick it on VR Medium and be ok. Anything higher and it starts to hiccup. Things like RoboRecall work great with it. A lot of stuff just isn't going to be that taxing at the moment but Elite is one of those games that can cause some issues.

So I have this card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487077

How VR capable is this card really? I know it is rated for VR, (wasn't why I bought the card) but I also know that having a 1070 & preferably 1080 is what will not give you any performance issues or bottle-necking.

I would like to game some, but I would also be interested in productivity and using it as a VR PC desktop for multitasking.

It should be fine. The pascal cards have some VR related improvements and allow you to crank up graphics settings, but if you're not too worried about cranking everything all the way up (and then some with the 1080, you can start increasing super sampling with the 1080 and 1080ti) it will work fine.

Basically if you can get 60fps minimum at 1080p, you'll be able to hit 45fps minimum in VR which is what's needed for a good experience. You'll be in reprojection or ASW below 90, but for the most part it's not noticeable. But that should give you a rough idea of the graphics settings you'll need to run at for a decent VR experience.

It isn't bad but with VR you are basically running 2 screens and the res is pretty high even on VR 1.0. So video card plays much more than CPU.
A 1070/980ti does a pretty good job. If you are looking to buy a card, the 1080ti would be best.(New card coming out next year?)

It’s just barely acceptable. If VR is your primary concern, you need to upgrade, IMO.

I currently have a VIVE with a 970 and it’s gotten to the point that I don’t even want to use VR lately since I have to crank down settings so much.

It’s a fucking shit time to upgrade, too, since miners are making it really hard to get affordable cards that work well in VR.

—edit: actually if gaming isn’t your primary use in VR, you’ll probably be okay with the 970. I’d give it a shot first and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Back