How Video Games Satisfy Basic Human Needs

HardOCP News

[H] News
This article on how video games satisfy our basic human needs is a nice departure from the tired "video games are murder simulators" articles or people bitching about not being inclusive enough, etc. etc.. Definitely worth the read.

For these researchers, incredibly, enjoyment is not the primary reason why we play video games. Enjoyment is not the primary motivation—“it is rather,” they wrote, “the result of satisfaction of basic needs.” Video game worlds provide us with places where we can act with impunity within the game’s reality. And yet, freed of meaningful consequence, law abiders continue to abide the law. The competitive continue to compete. The lonely seek community. Wherever we go, there we will be.

Thanks for the link Steve, I enjoyed that one. Not only does this guy have a much more realistic picture of why gaming has grown so much, but it's great to see someone post something on the subject that isn't just click bait.

I just can't trust anyone with a Boom Mike. Dunno why. It just looks so fucking.... pretentious.

I just can't trust anyone with a Boom Mike. Dunno why. It just looks so fucking.... pretentious.
I wouldn't trust anyone with a Boom Mike either.
bfaf3755253f9e714e145fe98a40c180.jpg

Back