How to...

brisk

Limp Gawd
Hey,
How do I add a server 2003 machine to my current sbs2003.

i know sbs 2003 allows it..but just don't know how.

thanks!

Join it quite similarly to how you join a workstation.....computer name...join domain, etc.

I'd put a static IP address on it though, not let it do DHCP. An IP outside the DHCP pool of course.

ah...
its that simple??

so by doing so and assigning it a static ip...it will communicate with our sbs and others needed?

thanks

Thats how my servers are setup here at work.

Main SBS -> fileserver ->vpn server
All are server 2003 and I just added them in. :)

ah...
its that simple??

so by doing so and assigning it a static ip...it will communicate with our sbs and others needed?

thanks

Yup...as long as your IPs are correct. MUST use the SBS IP for DNS.

Example...
Your SBS box is 192.168.1.11, using itself for DNS and WINS naturally...

So your other server can be something like 192.168.1.12, using only 192.168.1.11 for DNS and WINS.

Yup...as long as your IPs are correct. MUST use the SBS IP for DNS.

Example...
Your SBS box is 192.168.1.11, using itself for DNS and WINS naturally...

So your other server can be something like 192.168.1.12, using only 192.168.1.11 for DNS and WINS.

this is something that i should know, but why does the primary domain controller have to host DNS? and isn't WINS something that is obscelete and un-needed?

Join it quite similarly to how you join a workstation.....computer name...join domain, etc.

I'd put a static IP address on it though, not let it do DHCP. An IP outside the DHCP pool of course.

For network organization and learning do it as an address inside your DHCP pool and set up a reservation for it :)

this is something that i should know, but why does the primary domain controller have to host DNS? and isn't WINS something that is obscelete and un-needed?

It's not really needed unless you have Win9x clients. But, it really doesn't take much resources to run, so MS decided to leave it installed and running on SBS to make sure there was backwards compatibility.

For network organization and learning do it as an address inside your DHCP pool and set up a reservation for it :)

Yeah I guess it's personal preference. I've always leaned towards doing servers manually anyways...that way I KNOW it works...just so they don't tank if the DHCP service bungles up for some reason or another. He's dealing with a small network...SBS plus 1 other server. Takes 1/2 a second to do that versus a little bit longer to setup a reservation. Less room for error.

Since it's built into SBS...and already running....why not? That way it's a bit "tighter". Can also help if you have a wide area network.

Back