How to wipe out

dye4metal

Limp Gawd
alright i have a old laptop i want to wipe out and refresh. it has XP pro on it. and i try to reformat the drive but it keeps giving me BS on how programs are using the drive and ive tryed ending all the processes i can.

wat? how else are u supposed to do all this. i just want to wipe it out. i tryed reformating thats it??? tell me how i can wipe it out

dye4metal said:
wat? how else are u supposed to do all this. i just want to wipe it out. i tryed reformating thats it??? tell me how i can wipe it out

lol..

you can't format a partition that has the os you are currently running on...for obvious reason. many processes are running to have your OS up and running properly...so if you want to start fresh....you must do it while in dos mode..

-go to bios, set your primary boot sequence to CDROM
-put bootable winxp cd
-when prompt at dos ("press any key to start winxp session"), please any key to proceed to winxp installation..
-it's self-explainatory afterwards..

dye4metal said:
:eek: Would you change a flat tire while driving the car? Don't take this the wrong way, but if you've never done this before, call a friend that has done this, and ask them to oversee.

djnes said:
:eek: Would you change a flat tire while driving the car? Don't take this the wrong way, but if you've never done this before, call a friend that has done this, and ask them to oversee.

oh shit hahahahahahahahahahhahaahah rotfl quote of the year :D :D

boot with winxp cd
remove partition
make new partion
format to ntfs or fat 32
proceed to installation

gtjr_ph said:
boot with winxp cd
remove partition
make new partion
format to ntfs or fat 32
proceed to installation

If you are going to reuse the machine yourself, that is good enough. If ou are going to give it to someone else or sell it, I would add one of the following:

If you actaully want to wipe the disk and are using XP Pro, at this point run "cipher /w:c:" to overwrite the remaing free space multiple times. If you are really paranoid, run it three times.

What I would do is make a BartPE bootable CD with a copy of the freeware utility "Disk Wipe" and overwrite the drive 7 times with random data, then go through the quoted procedure above.

Back