How to use wireless G card for 'net access, and wired LAN for media server....

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat989

Extremely [H]
Well folks my problem is this, I cut landline phone, and my DSL went with it. So my upstairs neighbor let me put my wireless router on their cable modem to give me access in exchange for fixing their computer. Problem is, my setup now means I can't see my unRAID media server. To make it simple I drew a picture:D

unraidsetup.jpg

In case it's hard to read:

Problem: How to get unRAID server and my computer to "see" each other and talk, when DHCP only assigns IP to the wireless adapter. I do not want upstairs to see my unRAID server. I can manually assign IP, SUBNET, and GATEWAY to unRAID server and to onboard LAN controler on my mobo. Question is, exactly what should the numbers be? WinXP doesn't like it that two ethernet controllers are up- it defaults to the wireless, and ! marks the onboard. Thanks for any help.

I don't want to have to route unRAID traffic through my computer to the router and back to my computer just to watch something. I'm hoping to have my computer and unRAID server "talk" to each other directly.

hopefully this explains it all clear enough.

Help me Obi One, you're my only hope.:D

OK! Here's what I have so far:

Wireless NIC IP = 192.168.1.100 (obtained via DHCP server in router)
(subnet mask= 255.255.255.0)

onboard NIC IP set static to: 192.168.0.1

unRAID NIC IP set static to: 192.168.0.2

The Good News: if entering 192.168.0.2 directly into browser (chrome) I get to unRAID's webGUI, no problem.

The Bad News: I for the life of me cannot get the disks/shares to show in my main computer. In "my network places" is have nothing, nada, zip. Browsing comes up dry.

SOLVED! All I needed to do was enter the tower address (\\tower) into exploer's address bar and all the shares popped up.

Thanks for the help fellas, closing thread now..

Last edited:
You're creating 2 networks, with your PC between them.

We'll assume the internet network with the wireless card is 192.168.1.x

So just make the other network something different.
say
pc = 192.168.6.1 255.255.255.0
unraid = 192.168.6.2 255.255.255.0
do NOT put a default gateway into this interface on your PC.

The Good News: if entering 192.168.0.2 directly into browser (chrome) I get to unRAID's webGUI, no problem.

The Bad News: I for the life of me cannot get the disks/shares to show in my main computer. In "my network places" is have nothing, nada, zip. Browsing comes up dry.

What I think might be the problem: When setting the onboard NIC to static IP, there was an entry for pointing to 2 DNS servers. I left it blank, because I didn't know what to put. Since this NIC (and unRAID's) are seperated from my wireless side, I don't think it can access the wireless router's DNS servers info.

Am I on the right track here? My unraid server's name is the default \\tower

entering that in "set up new network connection/place" does nothing, as well as entering the direct IP of 192.168.0.2

entering direct IP of 192.168.0.2 into chrome gets me the unRAID web GUI, but nothing else. Help..

(and thanks for the replies so far!)

What I think might be the problem: When setting the onboard NIC to static IP, there was an entry for pointing to 2 DNS servers. I left it blank, because I didn't know what to put. Since this NIC (and unRAID's) are seperated from my wireless side, I don't think it can access the wireless router's DNS servers info.

Am I on the right track here? My unraid server's name is the default \\tower

entering that in "set up new network connection/place" does nothing, as well as entering the direct IP of 192.168.0.2

entering direct IP of 192.168.0.2 into chrome gets me the unRAID web GUI, but nothing else. Help..

(and thanks for the replies so far!)

Easiest solution, use LMhosts to resolve the 192.168.0.2 address on your PC

Remember do not change or add an extension to the LMhosts file.

Add this (below) to the end of your LMHosts file:

192.168.0.2 tower #PRE

[H]ardforum butchered the spaces between the three text items in the line above, but I have them fairly spaced out via using the tab button.

Save the file, reboot, go to network properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties...advanced button......Click on the WINS tab, and check the box with the title "use LMhosts" reboot again.

entering \\tower in your network places should now work

Easiest solution, use LMhosts to resolve the 192.168.0.2 address on your PC

Remember do not change or add an extension to the LMhosts file.

Add this (below) to the end of your LMHosts file:

192.168.0.2 tower #PRE

[H]ardforum butchered the spaces between the three text items in the line above, but I have them fairly spaced out via using the tab button.

Save the file, reboot, go to network properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties...advanced button......Click on the WINS tab, and check the box with the title "use LMhosts" reboot again.

entering \\tower in your network places should now work

I'm quite the newb on networking, IDK what the LMHosts file is or where it is. In writing this I see in your quote that the ip, tower, #PRE are spaced several spaces apart. Exactly how many spaces should they be apart? (and where to find it :p )

BTW I appreciate the help and answers, I usually try not to ask to be spoon fed so much, but I have to move out soon and I'm limited on time and brain power (messed up sleep schedule). So again I appreciate the help rather then folks telling me to STFU and lmgtfy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back