How to use Creative's Alchemy

Hi there.

Silly question but how do you use Alchemy ?

I've got an Audigy 2 Zs so i used the Alchemy A2ZS edition. However how do i know it works ? Does alchemy program need to be opened for it to work ?

In Alchemy there 2 windows. One is games installed, and the other is Alchemy enabled games. So i moved everything to Alchemy enabled.

I then startup Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne and set the audio to EAX 2 ( which my sound card supports ). Then a message appears saying my sound card does not support it ... wtf.

So is Alchemy on my pc working or not ? If not how do i set it up right. Even Alchemy's own web site doesn't have a guide :rolleyes:

Written by Hrvoje Jakovac
Friday, 16 March 2007
Creative a worldwide leader in digital entertainment products, announced the launch of a public beta, dubbed Creative ALchemy, to ensure that popular legacy game titles such as World of Warcraft, Rome: Total War and F.E.A.R. sound as awesome with a Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ sound card on Windows Vista as they do on Windows XP.

“The result of Microsoft’s removal of the hardware audio abstraction layer for Vista will confuse many gamers,” said Steve Erickson, vice president of audio at Creative. “Many people who have experimented with popular legacy games on the Vista beta release have been unable to experience multi-channel audio, with Creative and other sound cards, and even with motherboard audio. This is not something that a driver update can fix. The good news is that we have invented our Creative ALchemy application, so Sound Blaster X-Fi owners can experience the same multi-channel audio quality that they enjoyed with Windows XP.”

The removal of the audio hardware abstraction layer from Windows Vista will compromise audio in legacy game titles that use EAX or DirectSound3D (DS3D), usually resulting in stereo output without any effects. Creative ALchemy is a simple download, which will detect the presence of a number of top PC games and convert their DS3D and EAX calls into OpenAL calls, allowing users to continue to enjoy their legacy titles the way they were meant to be enjoyed – in full, multichannel sound with hardware effects.

This is some FAQS about vista audio and EAX

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=5009

Ps: i am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit :]

Copy dsound.dll and dsound.ini to game folder

this worked for me- make sure that u dont have the x-fi only version

its routes directsound3d/eax calls to openal-which is hardware accelerated by the x-fi/audigys
vista does not have hardware accelerated audio built in so calls to openal is the solution right now

I thought that when you run alchemy and set it to alchemy enabled games, it will auto Copy dsound.dll and dsound.ini to game folder ?

So how do i do it manually ? Where do i get the 2 files to copy paste :x ?

Can it be anywhere inside that game folder or somewhere specificly ?

Also does alchemy program need to be on at all times to work or can i turn it off ? :confused:

Also for those using Alchemy with Warcraft 3, will it say when you tick EAX that your card does not support it ? Is this normal or should that message not have appeared to show that it is working ?

Can someone explain how to use Alechemy properly? Man I hate creatives software

p.s. what version of everything u guys running for vista. I am using the console and drivers that came out in the summer since Creative didn't release them yet. I got them off of here has there been anything better to come out since?

Back