• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How to update SSD firmware?

jasondavis

n00b
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
8
I am about to build my new system. I keep reading about how I should update the firmware of the SSD drive I buy. Should this update be done before or after I install windows 7? Also how do I do it?

Off topic but kind of the same question. For updating the bios/firmware for a new motherboard. Should I do that before I install windows? If yes, any tips on how?

Thanks
 
For both, follow the manufacturer's instructions.

For the X25-M G2, you simply burn a CD and boot from it. You may (or may not) need to change the SATA controller mode in the BIOS for it to properly see the SSD.

Flashing a mobo BIOS should be similar.

Some updates are destructive, and will completely reset the device to default. Every update I've ever seen recommends that you do a backup first, because there's always a possibility of something going wrong during the update. Because of these details, you might as well do it before you do any installing or tweaking on the system, even if it's not necessarily required.
 
Most G2 Intels come with the latest firmware. If it comes with 2CV102HA, you do not need 2CV102HD. It was to replace a bad version of the firmware that was bricking peoples drives.

Any other maker, compare and update if needed.

As to mobo, they are easy and can be done with a utility provided by the maker right from within Windows. No need to burn a disk or anything like the Intel update..
 
Back
Top